• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, or they will just tell you to drive straight home and don't be a naughty boy by driving anywhere else on the way, as happened to someone I know. Whether they follow up on drink driving penalties is very hit and miss. I wish they'd enforce it more, and include random breath testing.

Quote:
Originally posted by 3decks:
Just home from Niseko - Just my experiences - We were a large group of Aussie guys and a few girls (10+) we never experienced a midnight curfew - we drank well into the morning on a few occasions.

We never experienced any problems. All of us look forward to experiencing Japanese culture, food and trying to take on a bit of the language. Maybe that is a different attitude, we spent most of our time drinking with Japanese and practising (humbly) our language skills and vice versa. There was a few occasions when the group was the only Aussies in the place. Either I am naive or we were well received....

I did however notice quite a few older male tour groups - it reminded me of the end of season footy trip.... those guys sucks no matter where they are from - please dont generalise and paint all Aussies with the same brush...

I do see the point how a 6ft4 guy isnt the norm for Japan and that can be intimidating - Ive still got bumps of my head to remind me (from the small door frames, low flying lights etc) - again maybe its an attitude thing, Beav was lapping up the attention it brought at the KFC disco. I didnt perceive any problems either.

I guess the key is dont judge a book by its cover - a quick hello (in whatever language or format) Id hope would always get you a friendly smile and a reply we are on holidays after all and fun is what it should be about.
I think that's one of the best posts on this thread. All this talk about how Niseko has gone to the dogs is negative misinformed crap. Sure, there are problems, but everyone seems to go and have a lot of fun, and get all the powder they asked for. The combined pooling of Niseko antistoke in threads like this, overwhelmingly by people who haven't been there recently and get their info on the grapevine just puts people off visiting. There are a lot of people on SnowJapan who don't live here, and are logging on to get their stoke and info for their future holiday. The stories and images they get are blown out of proportion and twisted from reality, in my opinion. I've even met someone who didn't visit because of what he'd heard about Niseko on SnowJapan. I think it's time to remember that plane loads of people fly in there every week and have a great time with no hassles. It's a good place to be, and people get the pow they are seeking. I'm not saying this topic shouldn't be discussed. I suggesting it isn't blown out of proportion, and that if you haven't been there relatively recently, you should probably keep your antistoke to yourself. What you hear on the grapevine or in the news is a tiny part of reality.

By the way, it's not my main resort, not even my favourite area. I defend it because I hear so much antistoke from people on this site who have never been there or who haven't been in years, yet those that go can't stop talking about all the pow they ate.

On a different note, Niseko has had a huge foreign input for a long time. It's more visible now because the tourists are white, but Chinese, Koreans, and Taiwanese have been visiting in droves for a long time. When I first came to Sapporo, one of the local ski shop staff told me that they get a lot of business from Chinese over on ski trips. When I stay at a resort near Niseko, I hear far more non-Japanese Asian language than I hear English.

I think these problems occur anywhere that there is an influx of foreigners over a (relatively) short period of time. Eventually, each group adapts, and whilst some of the traditional culture may be at least, less frequently observed, i don't think it is usually lost forever.

I am one of those hoards of Aussies who has spent a season in Whistler, and whilst it is, obviously, quite Australianised, i didn't feel that detracted too much from the experience. I travelled further across Canada, but met many wonderful Canadian people in whistler itself. Now, obviously, the Japanese culture is far removed from Australia and Canada, which are both similarly Western, but i think communication and a clear vision and plan for what the people of Niseko want/need should be a high priority of those high-up, otherwise, the helter-skelter development will continue.

Powda Tele, I agree that hearsay can get blown out of proportion. But if my fairly good mate who spent time working there recently, gives me a negative comment about a place that I have enjoyed in the past, then I am more likely than not, to use that to choose where I'm gonna go next time. Also, by your admission, plane loads of people fly into Niseko everyweek. These two things are enough for me to decide to go elsewhere for the time being. It's exactly the same reason I don't like going to Tokyo or Osaka too often. I prefer the less busy areas. That doesn't mean I don't think people will have a great time there. They will, for sure.

Did Niseko have similar problems with Chinese and Korean tourists who visit en masse? Koreans are pretty famous for being hard drinkers as well.

Maybe it's the cultural similarity of Korea-Japan and Canada-Australia that prevents these problems/misunderstandings.

As crowded as Niseko seems to be these days, the skiier/boarder visitor number is still quite lower than 10 years ago (according to the JETRO ppt presentation that this or another Niseko thread was linked to).

Quote:
I think that's one of the best posts on this thread.
I was there a few weeks ago and, frankly, not very keen on going back to join a melee of noisy silly drunken opinionated (usually about how silly the Japanese are and how things are better done in Australia!) Aussies. The pattering was non-stop whether in the queue or in the gondola!

Sure, the Koreans are a haughty bunch but they normally keep to themselves and don't cause a scene.

Some of the Chineses (maybe Hong Kongers?) are amazing. They have their domestic maids with them on a ski trip!

One thing I've noticed a lot of is how those who work or live here also get pretty antistoke. It's weird how even the seasonal staff set themselves apart from the punters by getting really defensive and angry when they see bad behaviour but see little problem when they themselves head out and get drunk and obnoxious.

The worst ones though are those that have been living here for some time and constantly complain about how bad the place is becoming. Of course these are generally the ski bum types who came here when nobody else knew about it and are now pissed their powder heaven is getting all ripped up. Plus they are generally not the ones making any of the huge profits that some business owners are now reaping.

I also wonder what parts of Japanese culture do people think are being lost with the influx of Aussies? What are the Japanese unable to do now that they could years ago? There's no doubt that the place is changing but in a province where things have only been going backwards since the '80's bubble, change may not be such a bad thing.

Personally I think this is still one of greatest places on the planet to live. I just bought a house here and never plan on going back to Aus.

It's in my profile happyglass.gif

I'd rather not say exactly who I work for but you will notice I have never done any plugs for any particular company and never will.

I just love this place. And unlike most of the winter punters I get to see it during the quiet times like in mid October when the whole region is ablaze with autumnal colour. And I get to see most of the festivals through the rest of the year and take part in the local culture.

Yep we have a few crazy months over winter but the rest of the year it's just another perfect little corner of rural Japan.

It's a glamorous title yes? lol.gif

If you saw my pay packet though you'd know the title is the only glamorous part. I'm defintely here for the lifestyle.

Originally from Melbourne. My wife is here with me and she works for the same company. Unfortunately I married a bit early as a Japanese wife would have made it a lot easier to stay here long term (and probably would have been better at housework :p )

Not only is it as flat as a pancake, it is full of Australian wankers trying to 'out local' and 'out secret spot' each other. I can bet you good money that pretty soon in Australian snow circles it will be considered quite un-cool to visit Niseko, with those "in the know" going to Hakuba, or Hakkoda or any where that differentiates themselves from the mis-informed package tour masses (....of wankers skiing flat terrain).

Australians get so amazingly competitive in the stakes of who's been where and when.

bahg, whatever.

Who runs the pub at at Niseko these days anyway?

(I better not be too much of a smart pants, I have been known to coerce my girlfriend into getting a job in Hokkaido when she returns to Japan)

> Unfortunately I married a bit early as a Japanese wife would have made it a lot easier to stay here long term (and probably would have been better at housework

_spud also arrived here with the wrong female equipment too, prompting some witty comment about sandwiches. He wasn't married to his sandwich though.

lol.gif

Mate, I was going to be all over that one like a rash when I read it but you beat me to it.

It is true, 4 (!!) years ago I stupidly took my own sandwich to a banquette..... but I left with sushi ;\)

(the other witty comments were along the lines of "Idiot! You don't take sand to the beach!")