• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first japanese cops have guns tied to their belts.

Japanese cops arent all kittens. I sure a little cop beating doesnt make the media.

second whistler had a shooting outside a club this year. Things can go wrong when people fight. I dont think GN is lying mate. Why would he lie? He has a vested interest in the place?

Hakers had some stupid servicemen this season. military and booze always creates something stupid. Keep them off the booze and they are usally fine.

I would say that resorts closer to Tokyo are easier to get to by anyone.

FT I don't think GN is lying. I'm just unconvinced that the information he has is completely correct. I don't expect to experience any problems because these problems always seem to happen to someone else or a friend of a friend and I’ve heard very few first hand accounts of these problems. This is why I suspect the accuracy. But anyway, GN reckons the info is correct so fair enough.

Fortunately I haven't had anything to do with J-cops so I'm just going by poorly informed stereotype and my own causal observations. But that said, to deal with the kind of violence people describe in Niseko it would require a significant police presence, not just the odd Koban here or there.

I honestly don't think that accessing anywhere in Japan via Tokyo would be all that convenient. After dealing with Narita and assuming a very well managed transfer on the trains it will still be 3hrs or more (1 hour on the Narita express and 1 hr 30min on the Shink, 30 min worth of transfers, waiting for trains etc) to get to Echigo Yuzawa. And once there it is still probably another 15-20min to the accommodation. I don't know the places in Gunma but, are they within 1hr 30min from Tokyo station?

The Hokkaido resorts like Kiroro, Rusutsu and Hirafu are only about 2 hours from the airport by direct bus. Ok, there is probably an hour’s worth of faffing around at the airport, but is still easier than via Tokyo.

Originally Posted By: thursday
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
It's funny how the HKers are on this thread like flies on sh+te. Coincidence? I think not.

what kinda post do you call that troll?

\:\) I call it trolling for HKers ;\)

RD believe me I'm not trying to put the place in a bad light, hey I live and work here and absolutely love the place. I agree with much of what you have said about the development side of things.

If you haven't seen any fights then maybe you haven't hung out around Fatty's or Red Bar into the wee hours of the morning. Red Bar especially has seen a number of fights because they stay open so late that many people already completely sloshed will rock up and cause problems. These sort of things happen rarely, which is maybe why you have never seen it but believe me fights and brawls have occurred here. And here's some good goss for you. Recently some foreigners had the crap beaten out of them down in Kutchan by a group of Japanese!

Anyway the Aussie hordes are only here in force for about 6 weeks. The other 46 weeks in the year this place is an idyllic place to live.

No worries GN and I appreciate that your posts aren't malicious. Frankly my motivation is more a desire for accuracy rather than concern for Niseko's reputation.

If it’s in the wee hours that this sort of thing happens then no wonder I don't see it. I'm usually tucked up in bed by 10pm ready for a first lifts start the next day.

Originally Posted By: Go Native

And here's some good goss for you. Recently some foreigners had the crap beaten out of them down in Kutchan by a group of Japanese!

you didn't mention the nationality of these foreigners. It's important.
 Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
As you should be!

Is there a Drunken Riding problem in the mornings? ;\)

Not that I know of but I'm sure we'll hear of it some day, delivered with same angst about the bloody foreigners ruining the place.

I know what we need, hug an Aussie day. 99.9% of the Aussies you meet will be so casual and friendly its a shame that a few tools make it difficult for the rest of us.

BTW if you look i]like Miss Universe you can hug me thecold.gif

JP.jpg

Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
but being on topic means picking on us poor aussies

Yeah, the more we get picked on the more Aussies read this thread and decide to go somewhere other than Niseko! Keep all the eggs in one basket if you ask me, as selfish as it sounds!

Police should be seen around the place. Just a visual presence can certainly be a deterrent. I think tourists should also be made aware that the police can lock you up for a month without any questions in a tiny cell with inedible food.

eggs or no eggs, Aussies will still be going to Niseko for years and years. There are thousands of Aussie skiers and the large majority have yet to experience for themselves what the fuss is all about. They'll visit 2 years on the trot then venture down south.

There are just not enough high-end hotels at Niseko. Has become more and more difficult to book.

Originally Posted By: thursday

There are just not enough high-end hotels at Niseko. Has become more and more difficult to book.

Cant see that being a problem thursday. What percentage do you think wants this level of accommodation?