"Investment is great as long as a good percent stays within the community or for that matter the country."

And how do you see that happening? Foreign investors will sell on and take profit when they seem right and that profit will go to wherever the "next best thing" comes along. That is invariable some other country as real estate speculation goes.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RD, I'm glad you're enjoying it. You being a lawyer may see things more clearly from us part-time freeter wannabes.

The waiters at the hotel where I stayed were local lasses and older former housewives. There was also a gaijin from Australia who had worked for 8 years in Osaka which the company then moved him to Niseko. Guess why. He was fluent in Japanese and English.

Whistler is far too much of a journey for babies. Glad you woke up.

I reckon a lot of the money does stay in the local community. For all of the new jobs created, those people have to have some where to stay and something to eat. They pay for that. Tourists spend money with local businesses who pay tax, they buy things and pay tax. Everyone who has a job because of the tourists - this includes obviously not only those who work directly with tourists but anybody whose business is impacted by the increase in numbers of people to the area - pay taxes on their increased income. The increased need for services creates work that otherwise wouldn't be present which in turn increases the disposable income for people who then spend their money and around it goes, again and again. I think it is very superficial for people to point to developers (they’re not all foreign) and say - ooooh look at the bad developers pushing out the little guy and making all that money - but the thing is, without the development, the little guy would hardly be making a living anyway and even if he is pushed out, there are many other locals who do benefit.

Obviously not all development is good and there is an intrinsic value in the intimate charm of the smaller villages. People recommending Nozawa invariably list its traditional feel as one of the attractions and it would be a pity if it was to lose that but it would be a greater pity if the town went broke because simply not enough people are visiting. For all it’s charm, is Nozawa booming?

Regarding Whistler - I just got back from a week in Oz with a toddler and two 3mth olds. Never again! In 8 months time they'll be even worse.

And another thing..

Sorry, one additional comment on the "developers = money out" kind of idea. For the initial development, it is only the profit margin that is available for repatriation. This portion is only ever going to be a minor fraction of the over all cost of the development, much of which will be spent locally. For subsequent sales between off shore buyers and sellers, the money was never on shore in the first place so it's not as if that money is somehow being withdrawn or kept out of the community.

Australians in \General are all pretty casual and friendly people, we get equally annoyed when a few fools tarnish our good name. My family loves Japan and we will visit many times in the future, we are considering purchasing a property in the Higashiyama area or even Niseko town away from Hirifu so we can do our own thing and visit in summer as well.

One thing that is good for the area is we spend up big when we travel, must be good for the local economy.

FT do you mean comments like this?

"There's all this construction work going on, but no work for local people. I did get one job, but the design was so trendy, I couldn't build to it and ended up botching the job. Most of the work is going to companies in Sapporo," a Kuchian construction company boss complains. "And most of the materials being used are imported, so there's nothing going into the local economy." (By Ryann Connell)

I take your point but, I mean jeez, if they can't build anything other than a grey square box, I think that is their problem and no one elses. And fair enough, I guess in the Niseko situation a lot of the development money isn't staying local, but then, it's not moving off shore either.

I wonder, do the Sapporo companies ship in their people or do they hire locally? Is this bloke complaining that HE is not getting any of the money or is talking about the local building industry in general.

Mr Bum' date=' I have it on good advice that you are personally repsonsible for keeping the Kutchan shuttle bus driver in a job.[/quote']

We used that service quite a few times we used to go in from the Hirafu welcome centre, have a meal, found a great Chinese restraunt on a side street. We then used the bus of a taxi back to the main shops and bought our supplies (we had a self contained apartment) then caught the shuttle back to Hirafu and a taxi back to our apartment 5km from Higashiyama.

The Kutchan shuttle and other similar services are much of the reason so many of us visit, the area has go its act together and has addressed many of the needs that makes staying there very easy.

I think it would be quite obvious that some local places get overlooked for the gaijin places - for a start the language issue and the presence back home.

Rag-Doll I'm bemused by the idea that you believe the brawl story to be just a rumour blown out of proportion. No I was not there personally as I don't live in Hirafu (I live in Kutchan, much quieter and convenient), but I know the manager of the bar in question and the description of the brawl was from him. Plus a few of the guys I work with were there and gave a similar account. This is not a story blown out of proportion, it is just an account of an event that did occur. It is why I believe some police presence during the winter months would be a positive thing.

>Regarding Whistler - I just got back from a week in Oz with a toddler and two 3mth olds. Never again! In 8 months time they'll be even worse.<

>(Whistler isn’t goona happen)<

Pussie !!

Regarding Whistler, it was seriously going to cost something like AUD20k+ for two weeks for me (an obsessive snowboarder), my wife (indifferent skier), daughter No 1 (maybe old enough for ski school but probably not), daughters No 2 and 3 (maybe walking, but probably not) and the helper. Add to that the hell flights there and back and the jet lag, compared with heading to Hokkas for 1/4 of the cost and no jet lag. I just felt a bit selfish subjecting the family to the Whistler experience when I was really the only one who was going to get any real benefit out of it. In a couple of years time when the kids can all enjoy ski school then it’s on for sure.

GN, I know it amounts to calling your mate a liar but I just find the idea of something like that happening at a ski resort simply incredible. I've been going to Niseko for a few years now and nothing, absolutely nothing, like that has even looked like happening. It must have been a remarkable event - he didn't bother to take a few snaps with the phone cam by any chance?

Originally Posted By: thursday
get their guns out.

Do they even carry guns? I can't remember. I reckon the best you'd get is a slow drive by with some serious teeth sucking and maybe the odd "taihen neh!" And if pushed on why they don't do something probably a "chotto..." given with a pained expression.

Of course the following week, they would have a couple of buses set up with riot gear and the crews to man them but by then it would be (conveniently) too late. I wonder, would a water canon work in -15 degree? If the stories are to be believed rubber bullets and tear gar is what is needed and maybe UN forces. Damn those Aussie holiday makers - ethnic cleansers, one and all.
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
It's funny how the HKers are on this thread like flies on sh+te. Coincidence? I think not.

P***-Off CB. So if I get transferred back to Tokyo I can take part in the discussion can I CB? Maybe if I go and live in the inaka and pretend to be something I'm not then can I participate? Repeat after me "I'm the only Gaijin in this village".

I've been going to Niseko for years and spent a lot of time and effort putting in place arrangements so I could buy a property up there (whilst I was still living in Tokyo I might add). What happens in the place is naturally very important to me and not because of the investment (it wasn't that much). It's because niseko is a bloody lot more convenient to get to than any other decent resort in Japan from outside the country.

Niseko is sounding way too scary for me these days.

Think I'll go to Hakuba next time, where Aussies are safe.

This from the 'Hakuba fighting' thread

>Can confirm that there were a few bashers about on new years and a couple of days before... variety of nationalities though.

Alcohol and frustration with the lack of snow I guess... oh, and two of the three I know about involved staking claims on women. Fun (?)<