• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that it's that bad here. Problems happen rarely and for the most part everyone has the time of their life. It's just on those rare occasions things can get pretty bad. For instance last Australia Day there were at least 3 large brawls outside different bars around the town. At one bar there was a group of 20 or so Aussies in an all out brawl with a whole lot more looking on. It's that sort of thing that a quick police response would be most welcome. Also theft is becoming more common place during the winter and a more obvious police presence may help to reduce this. Let's face it, if you get a few thousand Aussies together in one place anywhere in the world having a little police presence is not a bad thing.

>For instance last Australia Day there were at least 3 large brawls outside different bars around the town. At one bar there was a group of 20 or so Aussies in an all out brawl with a whole lot more looking on.

Did you see this GN or is it a story you heard second hand?

australia day is jan 26.

i don't really like hanging out with large groups of aussies overseas, and that's why i won't go back to niseko. but i know for many tourists, hanging out with a bunch of their fellow countrymen is a big attraction.

when i was there a few years ago, the family i worked with were torn between the influx of new tourist dollars, and what this meant in terms of how it was changing the town and their business.

Truly the tourist dollars have been most welcomed. Cottage(?) industries like the tee shirt design shop and the re-distribution of millions of boxes of Royce chocolates has made a few locals rich. But only a handful compared to the foreign land mongers.

I would describe it as complicated yes - different people are having different experience. Quite a few feel they are being suddenly pushed out, some are reaping some benefits. It might be easy to suggest that those who aren't as happy must adapt, but for some adapting is very difficult - especially if they can't speak the language and are up against for example foreign-owned pensions etc who can do their appealing to the gaijin much easier and more natually.

yeah, i guess one side of the argument is that the locals could have jumped on board and developed land too.

but if i'd found my town overrun with boorish foreigners, i'd be a bit annoyed. sure, the initial influx of tourists was probably welcomed, but this is quite different to what it has developed into.

fights in the street...wtf? what on earth is wrong with (some) australian people? i know brits on tour, americans etc can all be unattractive too.. but many aussies have this need to travel in packs and behave like dickheads

oh well, this has all been hashed out a million times before on these forums.

• SnowJapan Admin

I think the thread was getting from searches, then someone just dragged it up. Lots of people obviously find it interesting!

Yawn! Is there anything more tedious than the tyranny of development discussion?

Yes foreigners made (are making) money from the boom in Niseko but so did:

-the local owners of the land who otherwise had no prospects of realizing any value out of land they may have bought years previously at bubble prices. Absent the Niseko boom, no one else was going to buy it were they?

-the builders and local trades people who live in the area

-the local staff employed by the many new businesses springing up in and around Niseko (any foreign owned business will need Japanese speakers)

The development boom has meant more work and from that more income for locals doing everything from clearing snow, driving food delivery vehicles, buses, working in stores, accountants, builders, plumbers, restaurants, local food growers, freeters, uni students looking to improve their English (I've personally met a couple in this category). All the extra services need people to supply them and those people need food and accommodation and everything else. Name a service and I'll show you a business that has seen a much appreciated growth in revenues.

Increased visitors means more taxes for the local community, better infrastructure and a growing and vibrant community with land values appreciating when previously there was little to look forward to apart from a steady decline in prosperity. Across the nation, rural Japan is in terminal decline but niseko is enjoying an amazing boom - oh the horror!

Of course some people will lose out - views lost, feel of the village changed, scary gaijin, etc. but let's get real, it's deluded to think that somehow the idea of the development of niseko is anything but an absolute god send to the local community. Let’s also get real about who was going to drive the development because without the foreign element it simply wasn’t going to happen.

To state my bias - I own land in Niseko and probably wouldn't if it wasn't for the boom. However, in the times I've been there I've not seen a single example of bad uniquely foreigner behaviour. I can't help beleive that in a small community stories of bad events get circulated and talked up until they're blown out of all proportion - 20 people having an all in brawl in the street? - come on! What next? A foreign serial killer stalking the locals?

I agree with most of what you are saying Rag-Doll.

However it doesn't change the fact thought that on the personal level there are a fair number of Japanese who have very mixed feelings and find it almost impossible to catch-up/remain. They do exist in all this other wonderful news about "everyone benefitting". They may be insignificant in the big picture, but they are not insignificant to themselves.

That's all I was saying, in answer to someone asking about it.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
Yeah I know. In fact I think it was Thursday who linked it to another thread to give someone the background. Thanks Thursday! lol.gif

And thank you BP for starting this thread back in Jan 05. You will live in infamy alongside Jeannie.

Must admit that groups of 20 brawling in the streets sounds far fetched. Imagine what horror that would’ve been and surely would’ve been reported in the papers or TV or something if it were entertainingly true.

Rag Doll,

don’t get all defensive and stuff just because I keep mentioning the land mongers, you are not in that group, SJers are exempt from any kind of criticism. You bought from a land monger and until you realise your gain you are also a victim.

Freeter – good word “parasite single, living with parents” as described by Wik. And it continues: “Another problem is that many male freeters have difficulties marrying due to their low income, and therefore are expected to have children later in life or not at all. This will further reduce the already very low birth rate in Japan, compounding a number of other problems due to the aging population. Now, just how many freeters are in Niseko during the winter? How many freeters are there in Kutchan, being such a small town?

Thursday, mate, I'm sorry if my rant seemed directed at you because it wasn't. Well, not really anyway.

This whole commercial bad – traditional (read backward) good thing gets a bit much sometimes. If anyone reckons living in a community that is growing old at about the same speed as it is going broke is a good thing, then they should go and live there. Rusutsu probably looks at what is happening at Hirafu and asks now how can we get a piece of that – ok maybe not, in Japan they’re just as likely to say, well sure we’re losing a billion yen a year, but at least we’re not over run by gaijin! But you get the picture. Does anyone think Moiwa is complaining or that Niseko Weiss’s cat skiing is an attempt to keep the foreigners out?

Victim? I don't feel that I'm in any way a victim of the boom. If anything, I’m annoyed at myself for not acting sooner. I own an apartment on one of two adjoining pieces of land that I was looking at buying. What’s more galling is that the apartment cost more than both pieces of land! But them’s the breaks and regardless, I have a holiday house (ok, it’s an apartment) in a snow resort that has better access, better snow and cost me less than a comparable place in the Australian snow fields, in North America or Europe. I bought it with some mates and it earns enough during the winter to pay off the yen loan and, if we were to sell at current property prices we would realize a significant capital gain. I'm taking my family up there again this winter (Whistler isn’t goona happen) and I'm sure that if we can manage to avoid the gun fights and bar room brawls and the gangs and prostitution and drug pushers, not to mention the suicide bombers, we'll have a pretty good time.

As for freetas, perhaps I am misusing the term. I've always thought it meant generally waster kids who get by doing part time work...in that sense it probably describes half the drop out ski and snow boarding community. Next time you're in Niseko (or probably any snow resort) ask the kid waiting tables or standing behind the counter or working the lifts etc. why he/she is there. I reckon a lot of them will give the same anwer.

investment in Japan in general is being driven by foreign investors. Tax revenue? As a whole Japan is not set up to make money from Taxing tourists.

Investment is great as long as a good percent stays within the community or for that matter the country.