The reports I have been reading about Soux d'Oulx are appalling. What minimal that snow is available is being protected and gathered for use during the olympics. And the near term outlook doesn't look good with the dreaded foehn forecast for Friday. this warm southern wind is apparently the bane of southern resorts and even causes major problems (including rapid warming and increased av danger) as far up as the Chamonix valley. It is a nasty wind. Evil bastard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn

Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:
It is a nasty wind. Evil bastard.
amen to that, ask anyone who has lived in Canterbury. After a few weeks of a nor'wester it drives people nuts, its been proven to induce irritability, raise stress, reduce productivity etc.
But at least your washing dries in about 10mins.

Mt Hutt is often closed because of that wind.
 Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:
Not looking good in the NW Italian area. After last week's nice dump we are seeing an immediate follow up by the hideous warm foehn wind and temps up to 8 degrees at 3000m
...and conditions are unlikely to change for the next 10 days. The propaganda machine is in full effect right now ("we have absolutely no problem. Plenty of snow over here"), aided by the fact that northern Italy has been under a huge dump in the last week-end. But the truth is that it snowed a lot in the central and eastern Alps, while Sestriere only got a few inches of snow. From what I've heard organizers are doing everything they can to preserve the snow, restricting access to some slopes and closing others until the start of the Games (you still pay full price for the skipass, though!), but the weather is not helping them.

Torino or Turin? a saw an lighthearted debate about it, if you say Naples Venice Florence Milan and Rome then to be consistent you would say Turin.

If you say Napoli Venezia Firenze Milano and Roma then Torino it is.

It would make sense that the original logo's not Anglicized. Are Napoli, Venezia, Firenze, Milano, Roma, and Torino so difficult to say or remember? I'd like to know why they were Anglicized to begin with..

Quote:
Originally posted by number9:
I'd like to know why they were Anglicized to begin with..
"To be born an Englishman, is to win the lottery of life"
I suppose it happened back in the days when people thought like this.