Hay!

My wife and I are Aussies moving to Japan for a year or two, to teach English. I was wondering if any one has worked in, or near an Alpine area in Japan, or at least knows anyone who might have.

The primary reason we are moving over there is to ski, teaching English is a means to an end. We are looking at Niseko in Hakkaido, or Nazawa/Hakuba in Nagano. Open to all other recommendations.

We want to live close to the slopes and preferably work close to them, but understand that may not be an option, hence any suggestions for areas with the closest proximity to regions we would be most likely to find work, would be greatly appreciated.

I've searched the site and found very little, any help would be great!

Cheers Mick

Finding two teaching vacancies in the resorts you mention is not going to happen. Hakuba's population is 9000, I would imagine Nozawas and Nisekos are much smaller. There's very little demand for foreign teachers.

If you can get hooked up in Sapporo or Nagano City, you'll have done very well. Anywhere an hour or so away.

(just my assumption but) You will also be competing with people who have lived here for several to many years, probably speak the language and know the culture, have experience teaching (esp Japanese people), and have qualifications to teach, which might make it more difficult to get the exact area you would like to live. Big cities within an hour drive or so of resorts would be your best bet.

You could look at Matsumoto in Nagano and Mr. Wiggles examples too.

www.ohayosensei.com

www.gaijinpot.com

www.jobsinjapan.com

also have information for you to check. Hope it works out!

Agreed with the above responses. Real difficult/impossible to get teaching work very near to the slopes you mentioned. I'd say you'd have a reasonable chance to get work in Nagano city and Niigata city and a very good chance to get work in Sapporo. You'd be less than an hour away from quality skiing in those cities. I wouldn't mention in the interviews that you want to teach English just so you can go skiing either. Good luck

It's also worth looking into places that are not particulary famous for their skiing.

For example, I live in Fukui - basically a rural, unknown location, yet there are 9 smallish ski areas less than an hours drive away, and I love it here.

Check out my blog for pics and stories of my area:

www.thefunkydrummer.blogspot.com

It's worth doing a little research into these smaller, unfamous areas because there will be less competition for jobs there, yet they can still provide a great season of snow sport.

There are many small private English schools around that are looking for teachers, but you may have to get to Japan first, and scout it out.

I wasn't expecting much from Fukui, but I got a season of powder days last year, and am having more of the same this year.

There are hundreds of lesser known locations, which still have good skiing - Ishikawa, Gifu, Gunma, Niigata, Toyama - the list goes on.

good luck...

Awesome!

Thank you all. By the sounds of it I guess we’ll reside to working in the larger cities (if all goes well of course!) Nagano city, Sapporo. I’ll also look into Matsumoto, Yamagata and Himeji, cheers.

Any one live in either Sapporo or Nagano and regularly do the commute to Niseko or Happo One/Nozawa. If so what’s it like? Time? Train, bus or car?

Kinda leaning to Sapporo for work, and possibly skiing Sapporo Teine as the local hill and doing trips to the larger ones. Have a mate that skied Sapporo Teine and loved it, but am definitely opened for any other suggestions, for locals in or around Sapporo, Nagano etc.

And yes there definitely is a lot to be said in just getting to Japan and scouting it out, may as well do as much research from here first, I guess.

Thanks Again!

Mick

I think that, apart from Sapporo, Nagoya has the best proximity to snow out of all the big cities. Sendai is fairly big too and close to some good resorts I think. Sapporo sounds like the go to me for you guys. A big city with local ski hills and near Nisseko can't be all bad.

Himeji is close to Hyogo-ken resorts, the pick of which is Hachi-Kita. It's pretty good for a day trip from where I am, and it's a lot easier than the Nagano mission, but I'd say Himeji should maybe be one of your last choices.

Living in a big city is good for the work opportunities, and I'm always kind of jealous of the Nagoya crew being much closer to the Gifu and Nagano resorts.

NPM or All

Do you have any info on the costs associated with buying a relatively cheap second hand car, any issues like registration, insurance etc. Are there any unique processes for a foreigner buying a car, like "key money"

Cheers Mick

Mick,

Most of the info you might want about cars can be found here . That site also has a lot of info on living in Japan, so have a bit of a look around. Finding a cheap car is actually not that hard because most people here drive cars around 10 years max, meaning that a car that would be considered middle-aged in Oz is considered old here. "old" cars can be picked up for a grand or two quite easily. The other costs discussed on the above page will be what will get you, so have a think about it. But if you want snow, then it is almost definitely worth it.

from Nagano the closest is Iizuna 15mins or togakushi 30mins, bit longer in the snow maybe, that's from my house, depending where you lived nagano might look small on the map, but it can take you 30mins or longer to drive from one side to the other

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Check out Matsumoto in Nagano as well
I really like that place
And you could be in Hakuba in less than an hour
And gateway to the North, South and Central alps
From Matsumoto to Hakuba in an hour? Is that by train, bus or car?
  • 3 weeks later...