have been suffering mega calf bruising from boots cutting into my lower calves - am testing the thin sock (hose basically) this season (and my first in japan!) in an attempt to reduce the pad out but the current -18 C on mountain is freaking me out a bit.

last season i changed to new bindings (which rock!) - and this helped but am still suffering.

has anyone else had this problem?? suggestions?

btw board ...and only 3 weeks to go!

\:D

most boot fitters (IME*) recommend thin socks. they are less likely to cause bunching and pressure points, and less likely to cause blisters.

as for cold feet, don't wear your boots too tight (they should be snug without affecting circulation) and release the buckles on the lift. make sure you get a synthetic moisture wicking sock. feet sweat enormously and wet feet are cold feet.

putting a little bit of pepper in your socks is believed by some to increase circulation and keep things toasty. (i've yet to try this myself since cold feet are rarely a problem for me, my feet have plenty of other issues though!)

the bruising might be caused by improper fit, too tight and you're cutting off circulation, too loose and your shins might be banging against the front of the boot (assuming it is a stiff boot).

you might want to check that the tongue is properly aligned and that liner is not damaged, as these could also be creating pressure points.

next time you experience this, take note of all the problem areas and check your socks, liners, etc. if anything this will help when you try to explain the problem to a boot fitter.

good luck!

(*in my experience)

Thin socks only. A good pair of ski socks should have a little bit of extra padding in the shin. They also will not bunch up in the ankel when you flex forward. Try a pair of Bridgedales. Best sock I've found for skiing.

Far out soobi! Mega bruising on your calves from your boots!?! I'd be looking at new boots mate as I don't think a simple change of socks is gonna cut it if it's as bad as you say. I've never seen or heard of boots doing that to someone.

thanks for the tips - i have a feeling that yes, it may be time for a new pair of boots but i'm trying to get at least another couple of seasons out my current ones.

i have been using 'boarding' socks (extra pad at the calf, toe and heel) but these bunch up and still do nothing to relieve the pressure just under my calf. can't seem to get the balance of having a snug fit for my foot and not cut off the circulation to my calves...

or i could just be a big baby :p

will see how the thin sock goes!

• 2 weeks later...