Man, I always find it outrageous that the Japanese have no problem with alcohol and skiing/snowboarding. How many mountains allow that overseas? A few days ago I saw a kid get his front teeth knocked out at Royal Hill Half-Pipe. Drunk. Man.. at least don't try jumps or the pipe while inebriated! On the other hand, he was just gonna injure himself and not anyone else (icy day that day).

As for when Japanese start drinking... I see them in the hotel restaurant at 7am tanking beers! I travel every week for work, so this is not just a "resort" thing.

From the article I linked to:

Quote:
As for drinking while skiing, some major ski resorts practically require it, by scattering lovely sun-drenched outdoor bars all over their slopes. Vail alone has more than 10 on-mountain eateries, most of which serve booze in some form, including Look Ma's midmountain bar, which the Vail Web site recommends visiting after lunch "for a little pick-me-up." Last year, skiing in Italy, I got bored and had a beer at lunch, which is unusual for me. But it was a beautiful sunny day, and the slopes were wide and gentle. So an hour later, I had another. After my third delicious beer, with the altitude and the Alpine sun and the cold, I was definitely a danger to myself and others—much more so than a red-eyed, woozy-headed Miller, alone on a wide, empty slalom course, with orange safety netting on both sides and lots of blue and red poles to grab onto for support.
Doesn't seem that uncommon elsewhere in the world. Obviously pissed drunk riders would be dangerous. Should resorts be dry?

resorts in Canada abide by a standard Code of Conduct which includes a mention about intoxication. they post notices stating that breach of the code is grounds for taking your pass /booting you off the mountain.

in BC, the riders are usually high not drunk.