Went to Kagura yesterday. Never seen it rain at the top of the hill before. Snow was like everyone warned. Very very very heavy, but thanks to the SJ warnings we were expecting this and we still had a great laugh. At one point on the Giant course (about 25deg slope) I pointed my board downhill and didnt actually move cos of the snow.....funny as f***. Saw evidence of at least 10-12 avalanches in the out of bounds or back country region but fortunately nothing in bounds.

Anyone venture to BC??

Still a day on the slopes is always good fun.

its all good!

Quote:
Originally posted by eyeeyeeyeeyeeye:
Many people up there?
Nah, it was pretty empty even though they didn't open up Tashiro until about 11ish. The main Kagura slope plus the 3 black runs just off the main one were open allday. Longest queue was about 1min. Only went (just) off piste once and got stuck in the sludge so gave that a miss for the rest of the day. Even tho' it was pretty empty, the train up from tokyo was full.....not sure why.

Wow, what a difference a week makes. Went to kagura yesterday and had one of the best powder/tree run days ever. Started off with heavy snow which cleared to sun and blue skies from about 9am. Not too busy and was plenty of fresh lines available just about allday!. Saw loads of other gaijins whooping and giggling their way through too.....Any of you guys there?

Quote:
Originally posted by orinoco:
I'm going up there on Friday, thats the plan anyway, hoping for a bit of a topup before then \:\)
Hiya, might me heading up tomorrow (nowt deffo yet tho'). Would appreciate a quick report on todays snow/wind etc. I know daily NOW report provides top info but its always good to get lots of info from different sources.

cheers
uggggllllyyyy

uggggllllyyyy

there was not as much expected snow from overnight because of the high winds. it continued to be very windy today and not very pleasant to ride in. snow itself was pretty heavy.

if you can choose, avoid Sat:

http://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/images/chart.html?c=24

and shoot for Sun:

http://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/images/chart.html?c=48

Hiya Montoya,

Read your post on friday night but still had to go on sat anyway cos sunday had other commitments.

Sat was very heavy snow allday but Kagura closed as you hinted it would be. Plenty of deep pow runs in Mitsumata (off piste) and even had a nice 1hour walk back up a hill mad.gif until I saw the trail out thru trees on the 2nd run which took only 5mins!!!. Still a score day tho'.

So i guess sunday was fantastic!, any reports/pics from anyone?. Was kagura open?

Hi there,

For you Kagura daytrippers from Tokyo, how do you get there?

I haven't found a JR View Kagura package, if there's one that would be ideal.

Separately buying Shinkansen, bus, and lift tickets, combined with lunch would easily be a 20000 yen day, seems kinda expensive when there are two day Shinkansen packages including accomodation, two meals, and lift tickets for less than 30000 yen to various mountains.

I know that there are overnight bus daytrip packages for 8000-12000 yen (depending on day of the week/month), is that the cheapest option?

Buying Shinkansen tickets at a pawn/ticket shop (about 10000 yen for return, I believe), and using this coupon would bring the total daytrip costs down to about 15000 yen, I suppose..

http://www.princehotels.co.jp/ski/kagura/coupon.html

Oh yeah, I don't have a car, so that's not an option :p

OK, best deal I use is the Hi-Kaeri (one day) red booklet available from all byu plazas. Day return (Shink) plus lift pass for complete Naeba area (includes asagai, naeba, kagura) for 12000yen. Get bus to Mitsumata ropeway (470yen each way). Food about 1000yen for kare-risu or byo. So you shouldnt spend more than 14000yen, b4 beer of course!.

Quote:
Originally posted by number9:
Cool, thanks for the info. Too bad these packages usually require 5-7 day advance reservation, but I'll make good use of them this season, hopefully.
No worries on the info. If you are prepared to do Jyuseki (unreserved seats) on the shinkansen you can get the tickets the night before you go (what i usually do).

You can get the package the night before departure, or just the jiyuuseki Shinkansen ticket? The earliest (departs Tokyo between 6-7am) Shinkansen's jiyuuseki seems to be ok, but after that it seems to get packed.

Yup, you can (usually) get the full package. The w.e deals at the prince hotel (for instance) might mean you have to go up a price if you try the night before. As for the train, yeh its busy and will be for the next month (peak time!) but its less than 1hour to echigoyuzawa and i try do the scary gaijin routine to get some elbow room whilst standing. Good time to stretch the ankles and leg muscles out too!.