• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi _spud, tsonda

So i'm supposed to give some intelligent input on my board..

I don't have a lot of experience with other boards. so i can't really compare it with so much

My board is a 1.generation(2003) Head intelligence 162 cm. It's quite soft when not ridden (don't laugh here) but feels very responsive when i go over icy spots on the slope. if it is the intel. fibers or not, i don't know, but i have good control even at higher speeds and little or no vibrations.

I haven't done any jumping or other fancy stuff in the park, so i can't really say how it performs there.

It is not a very wide board, and i don't have lots of flotation in the powder, but enough enjoy myself though. (180 cm 76 kg)

The bindings are mounted on those sliders (freeflex?) which is very nice.

The base of the board has a lot of structure

In general: Head is overpriced. boots and bindings quality did not impress me, had to do some fixing on the boots myself after just 2 days. (don't ask why i had to do it myself! \:\( )

the metal parts of the bindings were covered with some fancy crome stuff, which is coming off in small flakes, to me and my wife's regret! (it is all over the floor when i come home)

The board itself does not have any quality issues, i should add. and i have yet to see the first rust on the edges, the steel they used is very hard and very high quality.

if i had 200.000 to burn on board, bindings and boots again, i wouldn't go for head.

last season i changed the bindings to Burton p1hd, and i really started to like my package, But maybe it is me adjusting to the equipment, rather than the other way around.

My wife and i have bought a lot of used surfboards over time, all a bit different.

After riding them for a while, i can have fun on almost any board, as long as they are good quality.

my point is that if you get a decent quality board in the size and stiffness you like, the rest may not be all that important. you will adapt.

Thanks Thunder, just focusing on the board it seems you have on complaints (price aside). They are quite expensive but the reviews are good. I dont know much about their bindings.

boots: I tried on some Burton Driver X's tonight. Unfortunately they lack where I like it the most: tight mean heel hold. I really do not like there floppy here nor there liner. Plus I don't like the way the liner laces are not actually attached to the liner, rather they simply lace a cuff which is attached to the inside of the boot shell. I have a narrow foot so the lack of heel cup retention was magnified. The padded parts that velcro into the boot shell for extra heel hold are lame and uncomfortable. I really like the shell and think the outer lacing is great! And that sole is the best sole ever on a snowboard boot. So many snowboard boots have these gimmick micky mouse soles. The Driver X has a friggin useful vibram sole with gnarly grip pattern. Made for walking up hill.

I tried the Malamute: they are the same formula as my pair from 4 years ago. Just like mine the pair in the shop felt mean and tight. I love the way they pinch around the achilles, no friggin fairy-bread mercy on the heel. And the power strap attached to the inside of the shell! I reckon that is the single best feature on any snowboard boot I have picked up. Even better than the Driver's vibram sole. If you have a narrow foot and like a stiff boot then you are crazy if you don't try the 'Mutes! When you put them on in the shop they will feel tight and lacking in cushy comfort. That is good! All that cushy comfort leads to blustered feet that slip in the boot liner when you riding gets going. Comfort in the shop leads to discomfort on the hill. Padding is bad, like trying too sleep on 6 futons piled up. It looks comfy and feels great at first but after 2 hours sleep your body hates it. Heel hold straps that don't give 1mm of movement are good. The shell lacing system is excellent as well. It amazes me that people are still trying shoe laces on their boots. Seriously, try the Malamutes. I will be buying them again.

Put a Diver X on your left hoof and a Malamute on your right then wander around for 30 minutes scoping out backpacks or crampons. The Malamute is clearly a much better boot than the Driver X (unless you have feet like King Kongs hands). I seldom feel so strongly about the functional perfection of a consumer good. Salomon really have designed a boot that simply does a fantastic job and this is proven in the fact that they have not changed the core features of the boot in seasons. So many boots on the market do not, yet people still buy them?

(the biggest drawback of the Malamute is that they are a little cold, particularly in the toe box).

Hi Kumapix - I gushed a bit, but I do genuinely believe in the functional appropriateness of their Malamute boot. There is no need for cushy comfort as rather than your boot being something you put your foot in for a whole day, it becomes your foot for the whole day. When I am riding, discomfort for me never gets a chance to develop as I am barely able to differentiate between where the boot lining stops and my leg/foot skinstarts. The boot becomes your leg, especially if you wear very thin socks with them. Ok, more gushing. The quality seems pretty ok as well. I have done about 100 days in them and they have not broken anywhere and wear is minimal. The 05/06 have the same lacing inner as my 4 year old pair and the outer shell has almost exactly the same arrangement, certainly the same concept. They have added a somewhat useless lace grip thing to the top of the shell tongue. I can see what they are going for but it doesn't quite function as well as it should. However the addition is minor and the shortcomings inconsequential.

I think I will also reiterate that if you re going to be stationary or walking in very cold conditions where your feet are in the snow allot then you will get cold toes. I have hiked for an hour at -20C before my toes warmed up. The ultimate improvement would be a partial aluminium layer added to the inner liner in the areas where you get cold, plus a full sole vibram tread and a slightly stiffer shell on the tow box for doing kick steps. They kick ok, better than most moon boots that people ride in, but the toe shape is still a little rounded and soft. The F22 has a mean and narrow toe box, but d-grade tread grip and are over-engineered and priced for no real benefit beyond that which the Malamute offers.

In London shops they are the equivalent of JPY 40,000. Which is surprisingly not that much more than I paid for my old pair 4 seasons ago in Tokyo (I think 35,000). They are not cheap boots, but not the most expensive. And by jove they work. Doesnt surprise me, they make good ski boots.

Badmigs! - Has talk of S&M boots gets you going? I used to visit Torture Garden in Tokyo, but obviously that is a pretty main road pedestrian version of the events you are talking about. I want to visit the original TG in London - seems far harder than Tokyo. By no means does that mean I am like you. Freak. \:\)

I second badmigraine's Solomon suggestion.

my 163 400 series has been incredible bombing through cascade cement, choppy ice, and every other crappy condition the cascades can throw at you. on the pow days...it floats like a dream!

enjoy the new ride!

-r

Montoya, what's your take on the burton malolo then? A shorter pow board with lots of taper.

I was thinking of getting one for next year.

on the other hand the xebio in town has an APO board (French maker) for 6man: a 185 swallow tale that just looks humongous! I can't imagine riding a lift with that on.

Kumapix I haven't ridden the Malolo but I've heard it's like a mellow fish - a bit more versatile and less surfy.

I think the shorter taper boards (kyber, fish, malolo, etc) have good float but ride more "surfy" in the pow. That's why they are so fun in the trees. If you want to carve at high speed in wide-open runs, then I would ride a long swallowtail.

Anyway, I think trying to use a single board for all conditions is a big compromise. Get a quiver of 2-3 and pick the right one for the conditions that day.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
Montoya, what's your take on the burton malolo then? A shorter pow board with lots of taper.
I was thinking of getting one for next year.
Friend of mine rides the malolo too. He really likes the board.
It is decent on pist and hardpack,but obviously exells in pow.
Superb ride,even for a such a short board (156cm?).

The stance is quite back,making it a blast in deep and trees.

But yeah,it is a "quiver" board, so you´ll need something that complements it...

But, that is a good reason to buy more and more stuff!
Eh?!

i rode it with it setback as far as it would go and it felt really light and jumpy. Kind of like skimming on the pow. Real fun. Had to get used to the lack of a tail though. First couple of times I tried doing wheelies I found myself on my back!

I was just looking at the nitro swallowtail - awesome looking graphics!

I ordered a Head Intelligence i.CT (157cm x 24.5cm). Without being an all round board, this is as close as I will get to a multiple snow conditions board.

It is the first potential 'gimmick' thing I can remember buying. I am usually pretty dull and functional. I was going for a Never Summer but they simply didn't answer my emails, so they missed a sale.

But now everything is jet black! Pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, bindings, goggle frame, board... I am going to look like a complete frigging wanker. At least my backpack is a bit blue and grey. (I am not being serious with this image jibe)

Hi thunder, It was notoriously hard to find one! But it should hopefully arrive this week so I will try it out this weekend in Andermatt. I won't have had any de-tuning done so will be enjoying a few brutal edges catches.

2 rides you cant go wrong with are the jeremy jones (I have at leats 3 friends riding these this winter) and custom x's ...you cant go wrong with these boards.

any board with a nice deepish side cut and pow'd out nose should do you fine.

i ride a 163 burton air .. its on the cheaper end of burtons but it has the side cut and nose and rips shit up.

Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:
I ordered a Head Intelligence i.CT (157cm x 24.5cm). Without being an all round board, this is as close as I will get to a multiple snow conditions board.

It is the first potential 'gimmick' thing I can remember buying. I am usually pretty dull and functional. I was going for a Never Summer but they simply didn't answer my emails, so they missed a sale.

But now everything is jet black! Pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, bindings, goggle frame, board... I am going to look like a complete frigging wanker. At least my backpack is a bit blue and grey. (I am not being serious with this image jibe)
great choice choice my friend, great choice!! I think I`m gonna be jealous. but it`s a righteous jealous so it`s okay ;\)
btw, you`ll now havta change yar handle to J.C. (tha man in black kind)

Bit late on here, but I've got the 160 Khyber. It's wicked in the trees. You can initiate turns in pow with your balance centered. You can go much harder than when it's all back foot.

I ordered one of the cheap ex-demo models. It had gone when my order went in so they sent me a brand new one! I got a brand new board with postage for 50,000. Prior's a great company.

5 bills for a khyber...._???? Man, you're lucky! I think I will go for the malolo 162 since the 160 khyber is a bit short and the 165 is probably a bit long.

Are you khyber riders coming up to Hakuba on the 28th? Hopefully the weather will cooperate and bring us the pow. \:\)

I`m bummed I didn`t get here earlier.

Malamute is the best soft boot out there without a doubt.

I`m super interested in the Dupraz D1, it seems like a throw back to the old skool with new construction thrown into it. From the videos on their site it seems to be a do anything board.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
5 bills for a khyber...._???? Man, you're lucky! I think I will go for the malolo 162 since the 160 khyber is a bit short and the 165 is probably a bit long.
Are you khyber riders coming up to Hakuba on the 28th? Hopefully the weather will cooperate and bring us the pow. \:\)
I will be there with full BC equipment. Hope to catch some rides with the experts. \:D

The 160 Khyber is not that different than malolo. So unless you are really close to 80 kg it should float fine. The main difference is that you can find the malolo from 55000 yen in Jinbocho and ride it the next day after you pay, Khyber takes about a month to be made and delivered in Japan and is also around 80000 yen with shipment fees….
The used ones are around the same money as malolo, but will still take 1-2 weeks to be delivered.