Right, the time has come, I need a new board. There is no curve left in it at all in my old board, it sits completely flat on the ground and has become somewhat noodly and soft. There are also some cracks in it.

Any suggestions for a serious BC free ride board, riding in Europe so not loads of deep powder like Japan. Snow is more often wind packed. But much more access to very long lines, rocky chutes and as steep as I can handle (which at the moment is no more than 50 degrees, and that is only on a good day).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of Option & Burton boards.

Judging from the type of riding you'd do, I think perhaps something relatively stiff to deal with hardpack.

The Option Vinson is their high-end freeride board, a friend of mine owns one and loves it. Stiff, good sidecut, and mean! The Option Makinen or Sansalone are both good freeride boards that'll handle terrain and freestyle well.

From Burton I'd check out the T6 or Custom X. Both are solid freeride boards that kill any terrain. For something a little cheaper, I bought a Burton Raven. It's a pipe board so basically narrow and stiff, holds an edge like crazy on ice and hardpack!

Quote:
Originally posted by SlashThePow:

From Burton I'd check out the T6 or Custom X. Both are solid freeride boards that kill any terrain.
I rode a Burton Custom X for 2 weeks of BC last season in Chamonix. It certainly did the job, loved riding it, but I know so little about boards. I didn't know if it was feeling good because it was a better board than mine or if was because it was the right board for the job.

Also thinking about a Rossignol. I tried one a few years ago and liked it. Being a local board perhaps they are better for local conditions.

No need for a freestyle board as I have only entered a park twice. Although I can now land the very rare off-piste powder 360 (it came as a complete shock to me, almost an accident that I have been able to replicate a few times during the week).

SerreChe - I am a short lightweight: 5'8" and 65kg plus pack. Also no need for a wide board, as I have average feet.

Sadly after about 100 days my much loved Malamutes seem to have died as well. No matter how much I tighten them, they always feel like they are too big.

Maybe if you like Rossignol, you could try a Jeremy Jones 169. Very good reviews about this board out there. Lower size is 164, higher size 173. Waist is not wide at 25, but should be ok for you. Just in case it is available in wide as well.

Any chance you can point me at those reviews? I seem to be a Google kook, I cant find any good review sources for boards (that I am interested in). And the manufacturers websites are so full of crap that they are close to useless. In fact, they are quite off-putting.

I was looking at magazine reviews. It is in french too... Maybe you can find some english magazines on the topic where you live.

I agree, a bit messy when looking for info on the web. Maybe still your best shot though.

\:\) You jest, Frenchman! Snowboarding mags in England?! There are more domestic magazines on carp fishing and steam trains than there are on snowboarding. I have looked in multiple rather large shops and found no imported snobo magazines at all. I must be looking in the wrong places.

I guess in the end any good quality free ride board will do. It is just that they are so damned expensive that I want to get it right.

Few boards that i could recommend,even if i am mainly a skier theese days (damn body that cant hold up)...

Option Joni Mäkinen : A reeeally good board.Snappy and stable and take lot of abuse. (well,i am a bit biased here since i have been involved in the graphics last few years... \:\) )

Ridden:

F2 Respect : I havent ridden this years respect, but it should be very close to Super/Light Glide from the previous seasons wich i liked a lot.Light,stable and snappy...

Burton Jussi Oksanen : A bit "easier" board in the shorter lengths.

Then.

Boards that i havent personally ridden,but if i would have to buy one with my own money, i would consider theese (friends have rode them)

Rossi Jeremy Jones : stiff,solid board.Rather narrow though.

Völkl Selecta : Impressive,solid and stiff stick. That fancy "semi-swallow-tail" looks intresting.

But in general, i would steer away from burtton and forum boards.A Lot of broken planks amongst my friends.I mean A Lot.

Aand,if you happen to be looking for some stiff and light boots, check out the 32 boots.

Quality wise in a waay different category than the sollys,northwaves or the like.

Have a nice time shopping there... \:\)

Btw...

If you happen to come across Duotone boards,grab one...

I rode mainly on them myself the last couple of seasons.

Stable,stiff and can tolerate such a amount of abuse that it is a small miracle.

Pity they went bankrupcy year ago.

NPM - I def wont go that long

I have used 32's before briefly and liked the lightness but not the high volume. I also don't like thermafit style liners so much, particularly for heel hold. I like being able to lace my liner from below the ankle all the way to my upper shin... which is why I like the Malamute boots.

I am going to take a look at Burton Driver X this week.

Still not sure what to do board wise, think I might go to Laax and try a few out from a board shop. Is buying skis so ridiculously confusing?

Make sure you check out the speedzone lacing on the driver x's - it's soooo good. I went for the ions myself and no regrets. As for boards, check out the Nitros. The naturals series is highly recommended and I personally swear by the suprateam (best board I have ever ridden). It's awesome in pow/park/pipe & bx. I know that makes it sound like a board for intermediates (one that does 'everything') but it is seriously that good.

For long, steep lines on packed or loose-ish snow, I would prefer a fast, stiffer board with strong edging performance. I've not seen this so much from Burton, their boards ride great but seem a bit plankier and noodlier to me, and sometimes wash out when hard carving. On the other hand, I've had amazing love affairs with Salomon freeride boards like the 550 and Fastback, and you can get the current iteration of this type in Salomon's freeride Burner or all-mountain Forecast. A friend in the US who has the same riding style and preference as me swears by Palmer boards for their tightness and edge hold even in severe conditions.

I am also a poster boy for Flow bindings, so quick and stiff as you want, some people use them as the midway point between strap bindings and hardboot race/carve bindings, but that is a different thread.

Have you checked out the reviews at http://www.boardreviews.com/Browse.php ?

Let us know what you end up getting. Not all of us are able to shop and play with new toys in the Alps this year!! ;\)

BM! Hello old timer, sorry to hear you are missing out this season. Is it because you have started your hippy commune with moggy? \:\)

Amazingly, that board review site is blocked by my employer, but I have looked at it from home.

Buying a board seems like a totally random event (and expensive in London with amazingly limited variety. There are more boards on offer in one block of Tokyo's Jimbocho district than the entire city of Glumdon. I reckon I will buy one in Europe and so stay with a local brand.

Kumapix - yep, I heard the new lacing system was good. I really like the Malamute system and don't want to go back to shoelaces with double knot.

Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:

1.NPM - I def wont go that long

2.Still not sure what to do board wise, think I might go to Laax and try a few out from a board shop.

3.Is buying skis so ridiculously confusing?
1.Looo-ong! Well, each of us have our preferences. I used to ride 165-172 freeride boards (i am 180cm 70kg) and had no problems.On the contrary,it always took few runs to get dialed in to my shorter 154-162 park boards when riding park... \:\)

2.Dont you guys have the TestCenterTours by different manufacturers all around the alps? Check out from the manufacturers websites or from Transworld snowboarding.
Then head there, you can easily ride 10-15 different boards in a single day.

3. Ooh boy... It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy more confusing!

What I like about surfing is that a surfboard is a surfboard: foam on the inside, fibre glass on the outside, hand shaped to suit your needs. So easy.

I have been searching for test centres. None found yet, but I will see what pops up. If no luck I will return to Laax. A few years ago a shop let me take 3 of their boards up the mountain. I locked them + my own board to a tree and did laps, swapping boards each lap. Amazingly, I found the review. It was only in my first 30 or so days of boarding, so my opinion then likely counts for very little.

Seems I have been on this topic before...

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/3555.html#000000

The pipe I mention is in Laax. I saw it again last weekend as they were setting up the scafolding for next weekend Burton European Open event. It really is such a huge pipe.

Some other non-local boards I am thinking about are Prior and Never Summer.

I built up quite a bit or admiration for both makers when I was investigating split boards last season (but never ended up taking that path, snow shoes instead). Both names get great praise for quality in their high end boards. The Prior web page goes so far as to actually provide useful info on the board as well, not just the usual hype. Opinions on the below?

Prior MFR (on the 162cm I'm not sure I like the effective edge at 123cm and radius at 9cm)

NS Titan (164cm, 128cm edge, tri-radial)

NS T5 (163cm, 128cm edge, 8.6 radius)

db... I wouldn`t go over 160 if i were you. we`re about tha same shape and size (except downstairs- where it counts ;\) ) 172cm. 68kgs. i`m riding a 161 locally made board.

I`ve said it before and i`ll say it again- check out a `HEAD intelligence` board. just what you want/need. (i wasn`t wrong last time was I?) lightweight board and incredibly stable at high speeds, and i know how much you like `speeds`. \:D

do yaself a favor, hit ya kick and part with some of ya hard-earned, ya won`t be disappointed. oh, and check ya e-mails.

later wave.gif

You're right deebs, the board-buying thing is hit-or-miss in so many ways. Not only are you limited to what is in stock in your region (except for Prior, which ships!), but you hardly ever get to ride before buying.

Powwwers is right on about the HEAD Intelligence board, that thing is a rocket ship from what I hear. It may not play with the pipe-and-park bro crowd, but ski makers make damn fine boards. Maybe something about base and edge technology? Who knows.

As for me, I had my left knee scoped and torn cartilage removed on Dec. 2. Now here I am, 6 weeks later, trying to build up leg muscle in time for next week's jaunt with Mogs to Naeba...the place where I did the cartilage in both knees while moguling on my Salomon 550. I think having a baby and a pregnant wife cut down my boarding way more than knee surgery though!

Are you planning to head to Torino for any Olympic action? Or heading in the opposite direction for some uncrowded fun?

Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:
Some other non-local boards I am thinking about are Prior and Never Summer.

I built up quite a bit or admiration for both makers when I was investigating split boards last season (but never ended up taking that path, snow shoes instead). Both names get great praise for quality in their high end boards. The Prior web page goes so far as to actually provide useful info on the board as well, not just the usual hype. Opinions on the below?

Prior MFR (on the 162cm I'm not sure I like the effective edge at 123cm and radius at 9cm)

NS Titan (164cm, 128cm edge, tri-radial)
NS T5 (163cm, 128cm edge, 8.6 radius)
Good thing you did built up admiration for them.

I was also searching for a powder board this season and after encouraged by Montoya I ended up buying the Prior Khyber .

I have almost the same body structure as you, 171 cm tall about 67 kg, so I went for the Prior Khyber 160. The board is almost the same price like Burton Vapour… which was a bit discouraging thing at the beginning, since I was spending a great deal of money for a board that I have never seen and from a maker that I hardly knew.
Now that the board came I can only say that even if I had to spend double the money buying it I would still spend them with no regret!
Great board clap.gif
Great board clap.gif
Great board clap.gif
I spent 4 day in waist deep powder (yuzawa area), 2 days in hard packed groomers and tree runs… (hakuba 47, happo) and the board performed excellent under all conditions.
I have been riding for 3 seasons a Burton Indie which was a nice board too, but it stands no mach to Khyber.
Thunderpants owns a HEAD Intelligence so he could give you some info on how it rides. Khyber 160 though is lighter than Inteligence 162, I checked it together with Tp last weekend (both boards with Burton P1`s).

hmmm, Head Intelligence. I cant get a black board. I bought my outer shell top and bottom in black 'cause they were on special (no one seems to like black). Same for my helmet... and bindings! Everything will be black and I will look like a tool. On a more serious note, I had forgotten to look at the Intelligence. I am sure people ridicule the chip. But I will give it objective consideration.

Powwww - checked my mails and blimey you are right, one did sneak in un-noticed when I was on holidays ;\) (it was a damned good holiday as well!)

Badmigs - sorry about the knee. Sounds like you need somewhere relaxing to live, like Walled Lake, MI. Haaa. Say g'day to mogs for me. Tell him I have been looking at imported Delica campervan conversions. They are a rarity over hear and you have to spend relatively big £ for a 10 year old Delica! Knowing how good value they are in Japan, I cant bring myself to do it at the UK price. But I have always wanted a 4x4 Delica with chunky little tires and tinted windows. A camper conversion would be the best!

I don't think I will go to Torino for any events, even though it is really close. I don't like crowded big public events, plus I would rather be riding. In the exact opposite direction and about twice the distance is Livigno, an odd looking flattish but very cold area with Italian onsen (apparently).

tsonda - I have a really odd feeling I have crossed your path before. Did you used to visit many nightclubs in Tokyo? Were you in Maniac on new years day at about 3pm in the afternoon, 2003/04 NYE? Anyway, I would love a khyber/fish but just don't get enough time in deep powder in Europe. There is more off-piste windblow edge hold going on.

ps - what I like about the Head Int is that due top the funny technology it gives a controlled firm ride of a heavy stiff board ....yet is light. Very important as my board spends WAY more time strapped to my back than my feet. Way more time.

I don’t remember about the specific day, but I used to go a lot at Maniac Love that period. Do you remember the gig that night, DJ Surgeon perhaps?

As for Khyber, I never had that control on groomers before on any other board. And I really love speed and hard carving on them, to the point that the rest of the people around you look still…

Even if you don’t go for Khyber and end up with the MFR I think you will still be happy.

The guys in Prior do quality job, I was amazed with the base structure. Also don’t spare the 40 $ that they charge for the professional tuning.

I don't know who was on that time at Maniac, but it was new years day, sometime in the afternoon. I was utterly trashed and remember talking to a gaijin and his mates and consequently say them at just about every gig I went to from then on. If you are the dude I have in mind then you usually a bit of a 5 'o'clock shadow going on, wearing a tshirt most of the time, used to go to Air, Womb, Maniac. Did you see Kid Koala in Shibuya in spring 2004?

And just to add to my confusion, I will keep your khyber opinion in mind.