I got a Burton Red Model: Hi-Fi, one of the lightest helmet I ever worn. great fit and extremely light. They come in many different color and fabric wrap options as well. Price at only $100, well thats U.S. price, in Japan probably around $130 or so.

Giro and Salomon helmets are great too, my friend got those brands and they love them. But they aren't as light as my Hi-Fi. These 3 brands I would recommend highly.

buying any helmet from the brands above you can't go wrong!

I have a Giro 9 and wouldn't be without it.

Don't loose the little plug things that can be removed if you get hot.

I had to buy a new set to replace one I lost.

Pro-tec also make some but they are a little heavier, I was thinking of getting one next time.

Take a look at the K2 Black Hawk I have only seen pictures but it is a intergrated Helmet Goggle package, it might stop the goggle helmet gap problem which is a pain. The gap between the top of your goggles and your helmet lets in cold air/snow and gives you get a headache.

You can tell when it's happening by people pushing their helmet down at the front.

I also have a Giro helmet. My best advice is to pick the helmet that fits your head shape the best and not the one you think it is the coolest.

Go at a place that have most of the brands together and put many different ones on.

To get a good idea which one fits you best, try them on first without straping them. Moove your head back and forth fast and find the one that slides the less wile it is not uncomfortably tight.

Although I also liked the design of the RED ones more than GIRO, I and up buying the GIRO because it was the perfect fit on my head.

A loose helmet is the same thing as not wearing one at all.

I have a Red Hi-Fi that I really like. A riding buddy of mine has a Pro-Tec and another has some Euro-lid (can't remember the manufacturer right now). Saw some of the new Pro-Tec models when I was in Banff in November and they look pretty nice and are a lot lighter than their previous models. Definitely try a bunch on before buying - even within brands, some models fit different. Oh, and get one with ample ventilation or you'll suffer during early or late season when it's warmer. You can always wear a liner or plug the holes if it drops below -20C...

I was at Sapporo Kokusai the second week of December and I swear there was only one or possibly two people other than me wearing a helmet. What's up with that?

Giro fitted really well on my melon but the price didnt fit with my wallet

mellow.gif flat mouth face

I went with Carrera - very similar the the giro but a lot cheaper and less features like no adjustable airvents

I have a Red Synth and it's been brilliant, I think I've been saved from concussion at least twice so it must be doing the job!

Good features - nice fit, excellent venting, pretty light

Not so good - vents are not adjustable so not good if its really cold, the ear flaps are quite thin so again if you get cold it may not be that suitable. I wear a bandanna under it pretty much all the time (personal preference) unless it's either super hot or a facemask is required.

Giro, Red, Pro-tec all make good helmets. The only brand I would personally stay away from is Capix. They make nice looking helmets, but after looking at them closely they're not as sturdy as I'd like.

Ezorisu is right on, fit matters most. Find a few you like and try them all on to get the best fit.

Quote:
Originally posted by r45:
Still not seeing any mass market uptake on the helmets. Some people out there look at me like a nutter with me wearing one even.
Hah, should be interesting for me then, I've cut the skull & crossbones from a Poison label and put it smack in the middle of my helmet. Beware!

Mi cabeza thanks you all for your input! I still have yet to buy my helmet, but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Last time I went to a local sports authority, they only had a handful of helmets to choose from. Anybody know of a good shop in the tokyo area that would have a decent selection?

You can try the Minami and Murasaki Sports in Ochanomizu, but I don't think they are particularly cheap. There are a bunch of small shops in that area that you can pop into and browse - maybe you'll find a good deal. With any luck you'll be able to try on a bunch of different models that way. There is (was?) an Oshmann's in that building by JR Shinjuku-eki Southeast gate inhabited by Tower Records... I seem to recall some snow-sports related stuff there... It's been a couple of years.

there's actually a discount snowboard shop in kanda. I think the name is liberty but I forget. Actually, if you do all the shops down that street (between kanda and shin ochanomizu) you'll be able to figure out what's best for you. There must be over 20 shops there

yes the cheapest one has to be London sports between the ABC MART (shoe shop) and First kitchen down one end of the infamous strip.There are salamon brand skidlids in there for less than a lady godiva if I remember correctly. good Luck.

Whoa! I just got back from shopping in that Ochanomizu area. What a butt load of ski/snowboard shops! A lot of overpriced crap too! After trying on a bunch of helmets and getting odd looks from a few posers, I think I might opt for the Burton Red Skycap, which is more in my price range and fits my head better. The Giro 9 also seemed to fit my head nicely as well.

Look at some of the features of the helmet and what you are planing on doing with it. If you plan on using it to hike and ski in the BC consider a helmet with good ventilation. If your racing venting may not be as important and some thing with face protection might (salamom race)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I finally got a helmet! I buckled down and bought the protec b2 snow. It fits my head nicely and has removable earpads and lining for better ventilation if i need it. It's also pretty light too.

I rode with it for the first time at Ishiuchi and hardly noticed it was on my head.

Unfortunately, I saw a guy take a bad spill in the park area. He was bleeding pretty bad. Didn't look pretty at all. Thus I'm encouraged to buy some other protective gear as well.

The guy looked like he had a bad landing from a jump over a tabletop. I only spotted him while I was on the lift. He was on all fours hunched over in pain. Later when I slid by the area, there was some blood on the snow and he and a friend were sitting by the side. I didn't get a good look of the injury. I went down to tell the lift operator about the incident, but the guy before me was already telling him about it.