WATCH OUT FOR NAC IN NISEKO UNDER JOJOS RESTAURANT , THEY SELL OLD USED BOARDS AS NEW. AND PRICE IT AS NEW GEAR. I JUST GOT STUNG SO VOTE WITH YOUYR FEET, V,V,V DODGY SHOP, ESPECIALLY WHEN U TELL THEM U HAVE CAUGHT THEM OUT. BE WARNED...........

spoggo, dude, you bought from NAC, and want to blame this on them? i find it VERY hard to believe that NAC would do any kind of false advertizing. NAC was the first outdoor company in niseko (prolly hokkaido) that catered to foreigners, and personally, i have only experienced friendly and helpful staff there.

For the Record:

12/15/05 I PMed spoggo for the Winterstick Tom Burt 172 after he posted it for sale in the classifieds section

12/16 We agreed on a price

12/27 the board arrived at my place by courier; yeah, i bought the board w/o seeing it or pictures of it. i have no problems with that: that was the deal. the board had usual wear and tear of a one-year-old board, no large gapes on the base, a couple scratches on the deck;

BUT there was huge rust build up all the way around the edges. more than the model year (04-05 and 05-06 Tom Burt graphics are different), i was concerned about the rust b/c spoggo said it was only used 4 times.

it seems somebody had kept the board in a closet over the summer and didnt take proper take of it.

dont get me wrong, i think i got what i paid for. but i have a hard time believing NAC, a reputable company, would try to BS somebody. there is nothing wrong with selling old boards as new, it is called overlay. if there is anyone to watch out for, it is not a company in niseko.

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
there is nothing wrong with selling old boards as new, it is called overlay
Hi Dizzy, this is the first time I hear about this term applied to selling boards. I am not sure I understand. Does it mean a shop takes a second-hand board, re-tunes it and sells it to the customer telling him/her it is a new board? confused.gif

hi SerreChe. what i meant was that older model merchandise can be sold the next year--overlay.

a 2004-5 board never used is sold in the 2005-6 board at a shop, someone "buys it and uses it 4 times" and then sells it as hardly used.

IF A BOARD IS IN A SHOP , FOR SALE, IN ITS CASE, U GOTTA PRESUME ITS NEW. WHEN THE ADVERTISED PRICE OF THAT BOARD IS THE SAME AS A NEW BOARDS PRICE, U PRESUME ITS NEW. WHEN U GET TOLD ITS AN OLD MODEL BY THE NEXT BUYER U RING THE ORIGINAL SELLER AND CONFRONT THEM ON IT AND THE SAY CAVEAT EMPTOR, U BASICALLY LOOSE FAITH. CE LA VIE. AT NO STAGE IN THE PURCHASING PROCESS DID THEY SAY THAT THIS WAS AN OLD BOARD. IF ID KNOWN THAT AT THE TIME, ID NEVER HAVE BOUGHT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE FOR THAT PRICE. EVEN WHEN I TOLD THEM THEIR PRICE IS WAY WRONG COMPARED TO NEW BOARDS IN THE STATES , AND CONFIRMED IT ON THE NET THEY IGNORED IT. I WAS PISSED AT THE FACT THAT THEY WITHHELD INFORMATION AND I WASNT AWARE OF IT TILL AFTER ID ON SOLD IT. THEY WERENT HAPPY TO COMMUNICATE ABOUT IT AND GOT VERY STROPPY WHEN I TOLD THEM ID FOUND OUT LATER THE BOARD WAS OLD. THEY SOLD IT ON THE PRETENSE THAT IT WASTHE CURRENT MODEL.

I see dizzy. So looks like simply selling previous season's model but unused. Spoggo seems to say that the board was used. Still a bit confusing. I guess to be expected when this kind of acrimony erupts.

I do not know the details, but seems people have some good words for that shop. Not sure what happened with Spoggo, maybe some kind of mis-understanding.

I think if I was running a shop selling previous season's boards, if I valued long-term commercial relationships as well as reputation I would not assume anything and make sure I inform the customer. As a customer I would expect the board to be cheaper than this season's model as well.

I am not saying that the shop mentionned in that thread did or did not do that. Just what I would qualify as normal expectations from a customer's standpoint.

Just to let you know, stuff in Japan cost more than stuff in the US.

I can buy a brand new Custom X for $600 USD in the states and here, I can buy the exact same board for 79,000 yen here. It's just more expensive.

My bindings cost $60 more dollars here, than if I were to have bought it in the states. Course, after shipping and handling, it would probably be close to the same price, and I'd have to wait.

Next time, don't assume it's new. Ask.

Was there no cooling off period? Usually when you buy an expensive item there are fair trading laws in place that entitle you to a refund within 10 days. Obviously it's too late now but maybe something to think about for future reference's sake.

Quote:
Originally posted by spoggo:
WATCH OUT FOR NAC IN NISEKO UNDER JOJOS RESTAURANT , THEY SELL OLD USED BOARDS AS NEW. AND PRICE IT AS NEW GEAR. I JUST GOT STUNG SO VOTE WITH YOUYR FEET, V,V,V DODGY SHOP, ESPECIALLY WHEN U TELL THEM U HAVE CAUGHT THEM OUT. BE WARNED...........
None of us can actually know what happened but you might want to be careful about these kind of postings. A great forum here in Hiroshima was shut down due to legal action because a few people started ragging on a local business. I think the case was thrown out, but the site has stayed offline because those who run it can't afford the risk of future lawsuits. They did have a disclaimer on the site and maintained that the views stated by individual users were not their own, but that didn't stop the case going to court and the ensuing court costs. I'm sure the guys here are covered, but it might be a good idea to keep it as civil as possible.

WELL. I THINK THIS PIECE IS JUST ABOUT OVER. GOOD FEEDBACK BY ALL. THANKS FOR EVERYONES COMMENTS POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE, THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT. IT SEEMS, I MAY HAVE BEEN A LITTLE NAIEVE IN MY PURCHASE, AND I SHUD NOT ASSUME ANYTHING, CAVEAT EMPTOR I GUESS. REST ASSURED ILL BE A LOT MORE CARFULL NEXT TIME. ADIEU .

SO SPOGGO, CONSIDERING YOU NOW ADMIT YOU MAY HAVE BEEN A LITTLE NAIVE, DO YOU THINK IT WAS ACCEPTABLE TO COME ONTO A PUBLIC FORUM AND BASH A SKI SHOP THAT HAS A GOOD NAME AND (MOST PEOPLE THINK) PROVIDES GOOD SERVICE? I THINK NOT.

OH, BY THE WAY. WOULD YOU DO THE GENERAL SNOW JAPAN COMMUNITY A HUGE FAVOUR AND TURN OFF YOUR ****ING CAPS! I DON'T LIKE BEING SHOUTED AT!

thank you very much!

• SnowJapan Moderator

We have until now only heard good things about the company. Anyway we contacted NAC to let them know about this and talk it over with them - expect to see a post from the them on here soon, after which the thread will be closed.

Quote:
Originally posted by spoggo:
...IF A BOARD IS IN A SHOP , FOR SALE, IN ITS CASE, U GOTTA PRESUME ITS NEW.... WHEN U GET TOLD ITS AN OLD MODEL BY THE NEXT BUYER U RING THE ORIGINAL SELLER AND CONFRONT THEM...
Sounds like you are churning boards to other (potentially naive) buyers and got a rocket from your end buyer for selling a board which you claimed to be new...

If that is the case, it makes you look pretty stupid. ESPECIALLY GIVEN EVERYTHING YOU POSTED ABOVE.

Sake - I noticed that as well. And the post from Dizzy got me thinking something was up.

I reckon sprog saw the board in its wrapper and noted how cheap it was for an 05/06 deck. He then thought "I can buy this underpriced 05/06 deck and on-sell it to some guy for a small profit."

And that is what he did... without actually knowing what he was dealing in.

Turns out he paid a fair shelf price for an old model and then unfairly tried to skin some wedge of the next guy, who was understandably pissed off. So sprog blamed NAC. Good form.