• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to Aspen and niseko...frankly, I can not see any resort in Japan becoming anything remotley close to Aspen.

Aspen's image comes from its ritzy clientele, fancy art galleries, exquisite cuisine, and not to mention, a great mountain resort. Can you imagine any resort town in Japan having an art gallery without "OMIYAGE!" written in green letters?? I didn't think so.

I don't think Japan has really grasped the concept of a "Destination Resort"...

my .02

The traffic in Gifu is worse than the anything Ive ever seen. avoid the place on long holidays unless you travel late at night. When they finally finish that highway it will be good. If they ever put Takasu and dynaland together it will make a very good little resort near a huge population.

Yeah but its pretty far to get up there toque. PS Im not afraid to get up there its the getting back that scares me. The Tokai hokkuriku jidousha is still a mess if you dont get on it by 3pm at the latest. and that is from takasu I figure I could only do a half day with you at your place there toque before I would have to head home.

I dont wait in lines except for the main chair at dynaland. It accesses not even close to the best stuff but you need it to get to the park features the fastest.

Sorry there PonFarr. We are talking about a different set of hills.

But up at Niseko you can meet loads of Japanese people. All depends on you. You can go to the gaijin hang outs and only talk english or you can blaze a new trail and go to some of the Japanese hangouts and try your hand speaking Engrish

I had a great time at Niseko when I went. The hype I'm concerned about is magazines reprinting this Aussie firm's PR material as fact and getting people's hopes up about them doing wonderful things. They're not even going to operate the resort.

Aspen is a playground for the super-rich, isn't it? Well, the super-rich are doing very well under Dubya, so I suppose Aspen will be okay. However, the US Economy as a whole is in a pretty bad way. Oil prices are high, house prices, which have supported consumer spending, are starting to fall, and the government itself is heavily in debt. This does not bode well for leisure industries like skiing.

Still undecided about the pass Fatty, but I've been hiking almost every day, so I'm ready to earn my turns.

Today I went to a place called Maki, an abandoned village in Otari that's not accessible by car. Some folk now use it as an educational farm. They said they've lost 20 chickens to bears this year. A movie called Narayama Bushiko, The Ballad of Narayama (Ocean referred to in the thread about Slow's mother's birthday) was filmed there, though the main house in the film has since burned down. As for other things going "up in smoke", the main actress in the film, Sumiko Sakamoto, has since been busted for dope possession. If you get the chance to see it, it's a pretty grim flick.

maki00.jpg

That's what it must look like in late summer.

Mostly in New Zealand I think but there was a few scenes in Kyoto

Bears might be coming out for any number of reasons.

-lack of natural food in wilderness

-food is easier to get in urban areas

-last years mild winter may have been more favorable for bear reproduction so there might be more of them out there

-last years mild winter may not have killed off as many as in more average winters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
Has that company actually spent "mega bucks" so far? Is anything being built at this moment? What does "building a new resort" mean? A hotel? Lifts?
Seibu and Tokyu are always rival companies in resort industry. Tokyu("Tokyu Fudosan") sold Hanazono area to Australian company this summer. But this Australian company do not operate, they just invest money in resort. "Tokyu resort" operates whole Hirafu area now and they named grand-hirafu there. They are not going to build something new this year, just launch new hourly lift system and more attract powder lover. They have new project "South Village" in Hanazono area. They will build lot for sale, condominiums, hotels for foreigners in a few years.
This is Tokyu's plan, they have to make money for the investor and I'm not sure what Seibu's plan is.
Now, Seibu decided to withdraw from the resort business in Hokkaido and Tohoku. It's probably they are going to sell Niseko Higashiyama to Aussie company...