Hi all,

new member, been reading it for 2 years, only signed now yada yadyada. Anyway

I was reading an interesting article in the Hokkaido magazine talking about niseko becoming the new aspen in the future as the is big developments going on in the next few years to cater for especially Australian tourists. An Australian is spending meaga bucks building a new resort there. I know Qantas is doing direct flights to Sapporo from Oz this season.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments?

BTW Fattwins, hows the drivers liscence going? (remember me??)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Lurker

Not to sure about Niseko being new Aspen as I have never been to Apsen. But as a Mega Resort I'm not sure it can be done. Just doesn't have to terrain. Sure it has good snow but can you really make a world class resort that is only known for good snow???

Good point Deano. I haven`t actually been to Aspen (although i have spent some time in Vail/Beaver Creek), so i think i know what ya mean.

I sure as hell hope it doesn`t go that way. Yeah, it`s good for the local economy an that, but peeps were gettin by before the big influx. I`ve been goin there since Jan. `99, and the change sure is noticable. I`m not one to deny someone makin a buck or two, but the bottom line is GREED. Who says when `enough is enough`???

I think some of the operators who are in there now have got `in` with some of the J. locals and basically promised them the world, and the Japanese being who they are, have found it difficult to say "NO", to some of their requests. Not all bad though, as I personally know of one operator who deeply respect, understand and co-operate fully with the locals. But who polices the operators? Themselves? It gets back to GREED!

Oh, and standby for a heap of `fly-by-nighters` out for a quick buck, with no regard for the locals or enviroment. That`s what happened in places like Aspen/Vail/Beaver Creek...

In answer to your q. deano, I `ope not. Only time will tell i guess.

Nah forget Niseko.

Nothing special there. Bad terrian, finickle snow, too many trees and far too many people.

Oh and the number of foreigners up there is crazy. Makes the whole place scary with all the possible bulgraies and theivery that could happen with all them around.

There is no bars or anything to enjoy after the painful skiing/boarding experience. It is just dead up there.

Anyone with the slightest bit of interest in doing this mega resort stuff in Niseko has the wrong idea.

The mag quote that 700 000 people went there last year with Aussies, Koreans and Chinese making up the vast majority of the Gaijins.

The developers are aiming the market at the Aussies and expats living in the Asia region.

They also interviewed Scott from SAS taking about his rise from 1 raft.

But thinking about it, other than NZ the next closest place for Aussies to ski with decent snow is Japan. Spose its an obvious target. wakaranai.gif

Has that company actually spent "mega bucks" so far? Is anything being built at this moment? What does "building a new resort" mean? A hotel? Lifts?

Personally I don't think more gaijin in Japan is a bad thing. My only concern would be if this Aussie firm investing the so-called "mega bucks" thinks it can get a good return on its money selling to Japanese. Aside from city hotels, domestic tourism is very depressed.

No Fakie when it costs 15000+ yen just to get to Hakuba in a car you know the country has some problems. Everyone always fights me on this but untill they make traveling to places cheaper, there will be no increases in the local markets.

That is another story

from http://www.mthotham.com.au/news/20048910811.htm

Quote:
In 2003/4 the Niseko resorts attracted 700,000 visitors, over 70% of whom frequented the ski areas of Hanazono, Kogen and Alpen. It is expected that the increased investment by HRN in the Hanazono area will provide a significant boost to visitation to the Niseko area with the continued influx of Australian skiers and boarders. HRN seeks to attract Australian skiers who might normally venture to Canada or North America to try out the Japan experience.
In my "Ski Guide 2001" book, it says Hirafu alone got 660,000 in 99/00 (330,000 for Higashiyama and no data for Annupuri). 660,000 is a lot more than 70% of 700,000. This means the entire market is getting much smaller. All that's increasing is the number (and significance) of the gaijin.

I think this company are after freespending people from overseas in "holiday" mode. I wouldn't get your hopes up about them making it significantly cheaper for those on a budget.

And when we spoke to a hotel last year when we were thinking of going up there, they basically said that the Japanese market was "collapsing". I feel some people might tend to over-estimate the size of the foreigners market.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
Has that company actually spent "mega bucks" so far? Is anything being built at this moment? What does "building a new resort" mean? A hotel? Lifts?
Seibu and Tokyu are always rival companies in resort industry. Tokyu("Tokyu Fudosan") sold Hanazono area to Australian company this summer. But this Australian company do not operate, they just invest money in resort. "Tokyu resort" operates whole Hirafu area now and they named grand-hirafu there. They are not going to build something new this year, just launch new hourly lift system and more attract powder lover. They have new project "South Village" in Hanazono area. They will build lot for sale, condominiums, hotels for foreigners in a few years.
This is Tokyu's plan, they have to make money for the investor and I'm not sure what Seibu's plan is.

So what if alot of Aussies go to Niseko?

Aussies flock to Niseko because it is close. Aussies flock to Bali because it is close. When I was in Mexico 8 out of 10 gringo surfers (and "regular tourists) were Americans because its close. Why are there heaps of poms in Ibiza, coz it's close! i could go on for days...

Why isn't it runover with Canadians, Ameriiiicans or Euro's because it's NOT close and they have good stuff on their doorsteps as we do here in Japan.

Purely geographical.

Thanks for that slow.

So for the time being, "building a new resort" means changing the name and selling a new type of ticket to regulars (30hrs plus a season). Oh, and improving access from Australia.

Cue Flavor

610139_9991.jpg

Duh..Duh..Don't believe the hype!

Thanks slow for the link.....man I love Engrish! If you have a look it will tell you the 'Lift and Gondola operation situation' and 'Meal Guidance'. Ok not quite the strict definition of engrish but amusing none the less

You must be taking the piss Mogski. If not, then I don't agree with your comments about Niseko. Crowded? Have you ever skiied on Honshu? Lines and crowds in Niseko don't exist in comparison. Maybe you've been unlucky but, everytime I've been there I've had day after day of cutting fresh bottomless lines with nobody around. I agree with the lack of nightlife thing though, IT SUCKS!

Oh, Mudguts, no, no! A glaring error!

Get another coffee or another glass of red and think about it.

Yep, there's nothing much to see at Niseko, it's ultimately disappointing. The snow is overrated and the food is bad too.

People ought to try somewhere else.

See how this works?

\:D