I was at Sapporo Kokusai today and they were playing a mix of foreign and Japanese music but only down at the base resort area. I didn't notice any music being piped out to the slopes. I have to admit that I kind of liked having the music playing.

Did they play any Wham and Mariah Carey?

Was it Gala (?) where they actually had a dj taking requests.

My first day on the slopes the day after tomorrow, can't wait.

Happy 2006!

Just got back from Madarao in north Nagano. Very strange music selection on the slopes. First day was English pop and rock songs, mostly 80s. Around nighter time came jazz, very nice. Second day was jpop muzak! I mean muzak versions of jpop, truly atrocious! I guess it depends on which usen channel the person in charge likes or something. Didn't get to check out Tangram on our cheap package.

It was alright. Lots of families and schools, but crowd wasn't bad. Decent number of courses, good snow, but would have liked access to Tangram, the mountain's pretty small when trapped on one side. I will write a more detailed report later, off to Hakuba now (^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I spend 4 hours or so at Iwappara today. Had a great time on my own - amazing how much action you get in when you're on your own and no crowds.

I've got tons of pics and will write a journal sometime soon, but on the subject of music on the slopes....

I think it was 80's day today. From what I remember we had:

Madonna

Hall and Oates

Culture Club

Bryan Adams

Cutting Club (?)

Spandau Ballet

Duran Duran

Eurythmics

....and other such delights!

• 4 weeks later...

Spent the weekend at Yuzawa, had an awesome day in the blizzard at YuzawaKogen, less people and more powder \:\)

Anyways, had the 3 mountain pass and decided to visit Gala yesterday. What a weird place, still felt like I was in Tokyo with the massively crowded slopes (full of beginner boarders sitting/falling everywhere and ski schools), lifts, and facilities, but most of all because of the really loud (but not crackling) music and talk DJ! (Topic of her talk was even about Tokyo, the new Omotesando Hills.) Nutty. But the place was full of urban boarder guys and gals who were up for the day, and they didn't look out of place in the crowds. As soon as we escaped to Ishiuchi, it felt like we were out of Tokyo again. Weird set of three mountains to be connected. The music at Gala had hours with R&B, hip hop, trance, top40 rock/punk, etc. Felt like one of those "all genre" clubs, another reason for the weird Tokyoness of the place.

It was actually fine on the valley side, but the gondola was a half hour wait. Me and BPG rocked up after the others though, timed it perfectly and caught them just before they got on \:D Valley side was only a few minutes.

Hakuba Iwatake...No J-pop the time i went... just some unknown old country tunes playing... a lot like the one they play on western cowboy flicks... Was definitely very annoying... Makes me wanna draw and shoot someone!... lol.gif Me and my buddies kinda guess, that they wanted to warm up the freezing slopers with some gool ol' desert tunes... :p yiiiihaaaaa!!!