What an incredible start to the Japan season.

I arrived in Tokyo 2 nights ago and I was actually quite surprised by how warm it is. I visited the imperial palace yesterday and the weather was warm enough for people to sit out having picnics,clear skys and warm sunshine all day.

It was alot of fun getting my board and two bags from Narita to my hotel on the Tokyo Subway. My arm almost fell off and I got alot of funny looks. It was not as bad as I had expected though.

Only two more days and i'll be hitting the snow in Hakuba. Head first more than likely. \:\)

It's the city effect. It's warmer in the city, than outside. It's much colder when you get out.

It's like during the summer. It's exceptionally hot, but as you get out of the city, you can have a nice like 10C drop.

I live in Fussa, Tokyo and drive to Okutama on occassion. I think it's all the AC units dumping heat out.

I can not get over the continual snow dumps, there is just so much snow everywhere you look, even at low elevations.

I was talking to an ojiisan (who was born and bred in Nozawa) today at the onsen, he was maybe 80 years old, and he said it was the first time he has ever seen so much snow so early, that is in his 80years plus of living in Nozawa!

So I'm going out on a limb here saying that maybe this year is going to have once in a hundred year snowfall?

who really knows from here on in, but up to now it's looking promising

Quote:
Originally posted by bettyx:
someone told me that if it snows this much in december, the snow will just stop & the season will end much earlier than usual.

is that correct? do the snow gods punish for giving early gifts?
I have heard this too but don't put too much into it
Either way we are going to have just a longer season with good snow late into March. Fine with me.
or
Finish up a bit early and then go straight into the BC earlier which is also fine with me

Bugger....

its turning into too good a start! Seems a lot of trips are being cancelled simply because of roads being closed... Was supposed to be meeting up with friends from Osaka, but now their bus company wants to cancel, while I can still drive through from here... sucks!

BillBinBoy ... we still want more snow! It is never enough! Greed? Maybe ... but no matter how good the base is there is nothing better than waking up to a foot of snow outside. Let's stop all this "we don't need any more snow ... stop snowing! ... it's cold!". You are all girls!

Wowww, just spent 10days in Niseko area for the first time. F""kin amazing place. 3days of the best powder snow I have seen then 5 days of glorious sunshine and ragging it on the groomers and off piste. Then back to the powder for last 2 days.

Also surely the most eigo friendly resort in Japan but then it basically is "little Sydney" lol.gif even got taken out by a skijapan.com guide...bstard!

Only downside is that I get back to find my weekend staple (kagura) is brimming with powder too! mad.gif (only joking).

Also lost my wallet (doh!) on the top of the Mountain during a cool wipeout in a whiteout. So if anyone is going under the ropes at the top between Hirafu and Higashiyama and sees it (not likely but you never know) then please send us an email!.

Anyway loads of pics etc which i hope to upload soonish once i sorted out me new gaijin card etc