Hey, I'm looking at buying a new pair of boot, and was impressed with the Burton Freestyle boot, they were bloody comfortable but fairly soft. They didn't seem to have much ankle support. I mainly freeride with a bit of park riding. Waht would you recomend a stiffer boot or a sorter boot.

Not a big fan of burton. I have seen so much stuff that needed to be warranteed in the last few years. There is plenty of other high-quality stuff out there that won`t fall apart after a season.

Assuming, of course, that you actually get out there and use it. For a lot of people where they only get out 2 times a year and want to look like a pro, then burton is probably fine.

fashion victims dont hang out on forums like this, luckily...

so what other brands would u recomend then Oyuki?

no disrespect to you, but i often hear people dissing burton gear on ski forums, yet my burton jacket is the best bit of gear i've ever owned, so i sometimes wonder if its tall-poppy syndrome?

i have tried on about 10 pairs of boots so far, & the burtons felt stiffer & comfier than any of them - but i want boots that will last as long as possible. i honestly couldnt care less what brand they are.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
Not a big fan of burton. I have seen so much stuff that needed to be warranteed in the last few years.
That’s sooo true. I bought last year a set of P1-carbon bindings. After the 2nd day in the slopes, the part you adjust the tilt of the binding high-pack was bended. I went straight from the mountain to the place that I bought them, with the bindings still on the board and the board still wet! lol.gif
Good thing Burton has 1 year guarantee for all their staff, and they fixed it for free.
If they didn’t, I was planning to smash the board on the head of the guy that sold them to me. :p

The driver x's will last you for a long time. They are super stiff. Plus they come with RAF tongue inserts to make them stiffer. I used a pair of drivers for 4 seasons (about 220 days). I just got ions this year. Damn I love the speed zone lacing system. It is so quick and it's just as good as regular lacing.

Burton has a really good warranty system too so you get your stuff replaced real fast.

As for the burton freestyles, I'm not sure of the price but I've heard the rulers for 3man and change are really good. Plus they have the speed zone.

I agree with low pressure Lover, brands don't mean shit to me as long as they are comfy and last, its just that burton was the most comfy fit of all boots I tried, but I wanted some extra opinions on stiffness.

It's a shame all of us can't live near the snow & be locals & not have to act like pro's, some have to deal with travelling good distances for a good season. Australian season are usually short & pretty crap.

Thanks for all constructive advice and sugestions...too most..

thats a pretty solid recommendation, kumapix! thanks. if i dont find anything better, i think they are the boots for me.

Two Heabs, a fellow Novacastian i see!(although im one by birth only...)

i tried the driver x boots at the snowboard whorehouse at rockdale, & they are $399 ex tax. (regular retail is $500) have you seen any better prices on them?

i also tried:

K2 T1s - comfy but not really stiff enough.

Vans BFB - very stiff & snug, but pressure ontop of toes.

sounds like we are after the same thing, so lets keep in touch \:\)

Sound cool..might have to take atrip out of newy and have a look around. There arn't many good store here to cater a large variety...Especially at the moment..Thanks for the tips...

Or at least wait till March for the new season stock to come in

Cheers....... thumbsup.gif

You guys should really check out the Burton.com forum (go to community to find it). You would have more chance of getting feedback on the freestyles from someone who has them. The people on that forum aren't that pro-burton either.

Quote:
Originally posted by Two Heabs & a Bean:
Hey, I'm looking at buying a new pair of boot, and was impressed with the Burton Freestyle boot, they were bloody comfortable but fairly soft. They didn't seem to have much ankle support. I mainly freeride with a bit of park riding. Waht would you recomend a stiffer boot or a sorter boot.
I'd go with a stiffer boot, as you mainly freeride. Unless you wanted to do a lot more park riding.

I have had the freestyles and would strongly reccomend against them. After about 3 weeks on snow they had packed out to the point where they were real difficult to ride in. For me burtons mould fits my foot best and after I binned the freestyles I picked up a pair of burton SL-6`s ( they are called SL-8`s now ) They are absolutely awesome, just enough give without the raf in and with the RAF in they a super responsive. Worth every cent I spent on them as they now have 60 days on snow and are still going strong!

That is quite a jump in price. 28,000yen for the freestyles...49,000 yen for the sl8's. I think those guys were looking for something affordable. Rulers are only 3,000yen more than the freestyles , that's a good deal imo

this one

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:

You guys should really check out the Burton.com forum (go to community to find it). You would have more chance of getting feedback on the freestyles from someone who has them. The people on that forum aren't that pro-burton either.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
That is quite a jump in price. 28,000yen for the freestyles...49,000 yen for the sl8's. I think those guys were looking for something affordable. Rulers are only 3,000yen more than the freestyles , that's a good deal imo
Too true........I got mine off ebay for the equivalent 25,000 yen though! \:D
Shipping included!

I would go for the Burton Ion, which are on the tough side, if you don't want to spend too much.

I just the SL8, they are the best IMO. super light and amazing support and very low profile.

Salomon boots aren't bad either, they are cheaper but a bit heavier.

Id suggest the Burton Hails, best deal for the money IMO. But that`s all I would buy Burton. I think they are cheaper than the SL8`s.

Everyone says Burton has a great warranty however it only applies if you have your warranty card. Lost it? You are screwed. I tried to buy new straps for my bindings ( I broke two pair of burtons in one season) but they wont sell replacement staps without a warranty card.

All the shops in my area have straps for sale. I bet you were trying to buy capstraps when they first came out a couple of years ago. This was to stop people just adding capstraps to their old bindings, without buying the whole package. Makes business sense to me.

' Everyone says Burton has a great warranty however it only applies if you have your warranty card. Lost it? You are screwed.'

I don't know any other snowboard company that warranties without a receipt or warranty card. For that matter, electronics and tons of other things are the same.