• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t mention it, it was a fun day yesterday. \:\)

We didn’t do something impressive enough to stand by itself in a TR, but still there are 4 picks from Saturday I kinda like.

tsondaboy

tsondaboy_39.JPG

tsondaboy_40.JPG

SirJibAlot

tsondaboy_41.JPG

tsondaboy_42.JPG

All picks are taken inbounds kagura/tashiro.

The snow depth officially reported by the resort (280 cm) is apparently the highest they have inbounds. So I guess it’s not like they are lying about the snow depts., just biasing a bit. ;\)

These are the snow depths I got after probing at 4 spots on Sat (2007/04/07).

@ kagura gondola top 205 cm

tsondaboy_43.jpg

@ kagura 1 kosoku lift top 220 cm

tsondaboy_44.jpg

@ tashiro 6 romance lift top 280 cm

tsondaboy_45.jpg

@ tashiro 2 romance lift top 140 cm

tsondaboy_46.jpg

Tashiro area is the one hurting the most and I think they will be probably be closing it down after Golden Week.

Judging by the snow depths, they will most probably be able to run kagura area till the 27th of May that they have announced as the closing day for this season.

Sorry m8, I was there only on Sat.

We went up from the tashiro side and spent all morning there.

We came at the mitsumata park around 13:00 looking for you guys. We started making our way back to tashiro after 3-4 runs at the park.

Really envious of you guyz still at it at this time of the year in THIS season.

Those pix are pretty sweet - 2m + ???

Hell out west here it didn't even peak at 2m this year - anywhere!

No time (or money) for the long hauls.

Sigh!

Yeh Bushy - pretty damn miserable warnit? Basically wasted the years piggy bank sno trip savings on 2 "Adventures in Futility".

Actually lil' 'ol Ikawa skijo in Tokushima only closed last Sunday. Opened mid-November giving it an almost 4 month season in a shytty year.

In Shikoku we CAN get blood from a stone ;\)

What were the conditions like - did they really stretch it out when it should have been closed? I wonder what their numbers were like if many people were put off by the lack of decent cover.

To put little Ikawa Ski-jo in perspective check out their site. www.ikawaski.jp/

We're talking mom & pop type small operation, with a big twist. It's operated (in part?)by the local town so probably has access to a bit of extra cash. Which means snow making begins in earnest early November and they keep it up for the duration.

Also they have an interesting micro-climate. North facing and at a pinch over 1,000m's they are one of the first peaks to recieve freezing moist air that passes over the Seto Inland Sea. A kind of miniature version of the Japn Sea phenomena. Consistently cold ~ very cold conditions.

But you can't do all this with no paying customers. And there they have no shortage. Demographics ensure this is the closest easiest to access sliding opportunity for thousands esp families. Almost no competition. Weekends can be chaotic. Which is why I only venture there for a play on a free weekday, usually with the kid.

Often gets a mini-dump even in April.

But not reccomended for any powder seekers ;\)

• 2 weeks later...

Last Sunday, there was still pretty good coverage even as far down as Mitsumata. Had quite a good day out, although some of the snow was hella sticky. You could usually tell because it had either a pink or yellow tinge to it...

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
I think I will be going for one last time on Tuesday.

Anyone going to be up there?

Nah, I'm done. This season wasn't the best for motivation (to say the least). Onwards and upwards!