anyone know if there in any night skiing near Shiojiri/Matsumoto?

From the info on this site it seems like some resorts (like kirigamine) only open for the night skiing on holidays, which doesn't make much sense because if they've got the lights they might as well turn them on...

I'm not fond of the thought of being restricted to only 2 days a week on the snow... any suggestions?

I have never in my life experienced good night skiing but to tell you the truth I haven't searched for a place. Normally I work at night and therefore I have some days where I can ski in the morning and then go to work (probably similar for many english teachers I suppose).

Saying that however I want to try somewhere, anywhere that has good night skiing just to see if it really exists and how it compares to day skiing.

Any recommendations, for somewhere good to go night skiing, no location restrictions, um on second thought it's gotta be in Japan

In Yamagata there's a tiny little place called Taranokidai near my house...it's small but open every night...not crowded, fun jumps and bumps. Of course, it can get icy at night...but if you want to go after work or something it's great! Wear padding!

The enloy enjoyable night boarding I ever did was at Niseko. Was bloody cold, but with snow falling ligthly on the eerily lit slopes it was like being in fairy land. Worth a try at least once if you are up that way.

my mate filmed some of our night runs using an old 8mm cam that he held as we did a big run down a few years back at Niseko. The effect was quite awesome. When we played it back (obviously no sound which added to the effect) it was all in slo-mo cos the batteries were going flat and the camera could only record at half the speed. The powder flying out as we carved looked amazing at half speed. I wonder if he has ever digitized that. Probably not...

Quote:
Originally posted by kurisu:
only open for the night skiing on holidays, which doesn't make much sense because if they've got the lights they might as well turn them on...
You didn't really write that did you? thumbsdown.gif

No reason to turn them on if there is only going to be 4 or 5 people on the hill