Hi All,

Will be coming from Australia to stay at Niseko for a couple of weeks in December. Just wondering about the availability of Currency exchanges in the area and if people recommend travellers to use travellers cheques there, or ATM's etc?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by mumbojumbo:
Why not just ignore this kind of post if you don't approve, rather than the blatant sarcasm / "hilarious" comments? I don't get it.

natfu, welcome. wave.gif Don't let a few people put you off.
agree desu!
  • SnowJapan Moderator

Yep, must say we agree as well.... we really don't want to put people off and at the same time run the risk of getting a reputation as being a place where 'new' posters are not welcome. That is something we would not be happy about at all.

I realise some of the things asked might get a bit repetitive for some of us (me included!). But a thread will quickly fall down the pages and disappear if not many people answer. On the other hand if it starts to become a flamefest it gets a lot of attention, and it just ends up being not good for the forums as a whole.

Thanks!

And... welcome to the forums natfu.

Hi natfu.

I'll give you straight answer unlike the wannabe comedians. Take all the yen you think you're gonna need for your entire trip. There are no ATMs or currency exchanges in Niseko and I don't think travellers checks are widely accepted. I guess there's a currency exchange at Chitose airport???

Hope this helps

The main reason I suggested search is because I think natfu will find more info.

The main reason most people don't search I think is because they may not realise that it will produce good results.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudguts:
wannabe comedians
Phhhssh

I'm the next Jerry Seinfeld or Bob Sagget thumbsup.gif

I'm not at all against new members. We were all new at one time. What does get me is that people coming on here posting one topic and question and expecting the SJ Travel Agency to settle their little problem. And the sad thing is that we usually do end up giving them their answers over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
  • SnowJapan Moderator

See... look at the way this is developing already and how much attention it is getting \:\(

I think it is fantastic that people often help each other on here and that is only to be encouraged but please lets try to avoid this kind of thing.

If no-one can or wants to help someone out with relevant info, then as we said the thread will quickly die out and disappear from view.

Let's please just try to refrain from sarcasm in situations like this and creating bad feeling on here. (And that is is a general comment, not directed at anyone!)

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowJapan.Com#4:

(And that is is a general comment, not directed at anyone!)

Thanks.
Yeah TOQUE :p

But, seriously, if people in general used the search button theyd be amazed at what theyd find.... say, if you enter atms or travelers checks...since this thread has been discussed before.

To make it short,

#1.Cash is still king in Japan.

#2."Japan issue credit cards only" sign bothers. If your credit card were issued abroad, your card won't be accepted even when they hang some credit card signboard. This depends on the contract they have with their credit card company.

#3. Travelers cheque is no problem if it's in a big city but not common in countryside because some local banks don't handle it good.

#4. ATMs in post offices work for your credit cards to draw some yen cash, but I am not sure there are some around Niseko resort area. Maybe there are ones around Niseko or Kucchan station though.

Thanks to all those who responded seriously with the answer.

For the others, even those who seriously suggested I should search, I'd like to say that I did search this forum.

Perhaps I was using the wrong search terms but Searching on "Foreign Exchange" or "ATM" did not yield terribly useful results. It would be interesting to find out why.

As a regular user of other forums, I also sometimes think "why don't they search" but I also realise that "Discussion" is the point of a forum.

credit cards are accepted at the lift ticket offices in niseko. you can also get cash when making credit card or cirrus card purchase at the seiko-mart (& probably many other shops in niseko)

1/2 cash, 1/2 credit worked well for me last time in niseko (2 seasons ago).

we could do with a snowjapan WIKI for this sort of thing eh...

i have the same questions for Nozawa & Hakuba

1. can you buy lift tickets with credit?

2. is there an ATM?

according to this site there is an ATM in Hakuba.(good on ya gamera!)

Kamishiro post office

At the lower right in this map. ATM available from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Mons - Fris except national holidays. Not available on Sats, Suns and national holidays.

I will ask my mate in Nozawa what the score is there \:\)