Looking to poll the forum members' knowledge of the area. Basically looking for a place (with onsen would be great \:D ) where my wife can stay with the baby while I hit the slopes. I would be looking for a place with a baby-sitting service so that I could treat my wife to getting a massage or enjoying the onsen or something else along those lines while somebody looks after the baby for her.

I have checked various accomodations on SJ, but understandably enough it looks like baby-sitting services are not mentionned.

I know it all sounds very specific, and I have not high expectations of finding the rare gem out there but any suggestions welcome.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi SerreChe

This was one of the things that I really pushed for them to open up when I was working at NASPA and I'm happy to report they are still doing something re: child care.

I've just spoken to them and this is their current setup for this season.

"Tanpopo House"

Open: 9am-5pm daily in ski season

Charge: 1 hour 1600 yen

For children 2 months > 6 years old

It's located at the bottom of their resort, right on the slopes outside of the main hotel building.

Their site is

http://www.naspa.co.jp

skijo site

http://www.naspaskigarden.com

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the great help / suggestions guys!

FT, I did not know Cortina had this baby onsen set-up. This sounds great, especially since I really enjoy riding Cortina (ok the hotel looks so-so...but the rest rocks)! I'll try to do that this season once I am confident the baby can take the round-trip Tokyo-Hakuba in a w/e.

Montoya, SJ1, Naspa sounds really convenient, but when I checked their site I could not find info about childcare. I'll double check again. If anything, guess can always give them a call. Montoya, I will also check those sites you posted, it sounds promising.

SnowConnection, that translation will be helpful for the search. We have a bit of an IT problem at home: our old PC with the japanese keyboard is broken (I shall not mention the brand!), so we cannot do searches with japanese characters at the moment unless we copy them from somewhere... \:\(

Interesting to know you were working at Naspa SJ1, it sounds like we may have to thank you for them to have Childcare there. It is actually surprising that not many locations seem to cater towards parents with young children, I would think there should be decent demand in that sector. I did notice Sanno's similar query about Childcare in Hakuba.

Maybe there is a niche to be filled from a services/marketing standpoint!

Anyway, I will check all the info given to me, thank you to all again!

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi SerreChe

Quote:
Naspa sounds really convenient, but when I checked their site I could not find info about childcare
Check tomorrow as I have been speaking to them today and you should hopefully see changes on their site(s) tomorrow..... but basically the info is as I posted this morning. \:\)

Quote:
It is actually surprising that not many locations seem to cater towards parents with young children, I would think there should be decent demand in that sector.
It is very surprising and you would definitely think there would be decent demand. Although I still know many people at Naspa well and am often there for one reason or another, I'm not really well up on the current status of this particular service. But when I was there, when it first started (this is probably 6 or 7 years ago now) it was at that time less popular than I thought it would be.... but that was perhaps because it was totally new and people didn't know about it. Quite a few of the foreign guests that I brought to the resort though used it and really liked it. Especially for a "family" resort like Naspa, I think it is a really big part of what they can offer to potential guests and I was really surprised that they didn't have anything when I started. The fact that they are continuing to do it though must mean that there is a demand, so I'm really glad to hear that.

Quote:
Maybe there is a niche to be filled from a services/marketing standpoint!
There sure is... getting places to actually do something about it is a different issue though! ;\)

I am not 100% on this but I am sure there were creche type things at the big Prince Hotel at Naeba. They certainly have onsen, swimming pool, lots of restaurants etc etc.

Also, I have actually seen some Dads riding the Naeba slopes with their kids in a harness on their backs or fronts!. Actually saw one bloke carrying his kid in his arms.

Not my bag but have you considered this?.

I remember a story from 15 years ago about parents skiing with children on their backs. The child had been frozen to death!!! That is scary.

That was still the period that there weren't as many chairlifts so you didn't have to get them off your back to get on a chair at the end of every run (and was able to check how the child was doing)

Still if you fall, you might tumble over and crush your child. I have done it once from the restaurant in Knadatsu to the parking lot. That is very flat but you can never be sure that nothing will happen.

SJ1, you have been pulling some strings! I have checked the site and it is there indeed. Very useful, Thanks a lot! \:\)

I agree with you Sanno. Even if I feel like a strong skier that could probably ski a long time without a single wipe-out, I would never gamble my kid's health. When it comes to the baby, a 1 in a 1000 chance of falling and injuring him is one too many. I will let him do that on his own once he grows up. ;\)

I have only seen Japanese parents do that in Japan, never saw that in Europe/Canada before. Always makes me cringe when I see them. PLEASE STOP DOING THAT !!! abunaii for aka-chan, dame dame !!! mad.gif