I've heard the stories, been there once and was majorly dissapointed by the short steep section at the top and then the long flat ride back to the gondola.

What gives? Do I give it another try? It Asahidake one of those "awesome on a blue sky, fresh dump day but crap on a cloudy/snowy day" mountains?

TRying to sort out my boarding life in 2006 and would love to add some fresh lines to the repertoir...

Are you talking about ski slopes or BC? Ski slopes there don't look good but Asahidake is the highest in Hokkaido, so it must be powder heaven in the BC. Tokachidake and Furanodake are also popular BC skiing mountains, aren't they?

Defo BC. Can anyone recomend guides up there? I've read some of the historic posts on the subject, but not too much info on where to go. I usually wnat to be pretty safe on my first excursion into new BC territory. Happy to pay "non-official" guides as well, if we can work something out...

• 1 year later...

its a mission from niseko. i can't remember how long it took us, but we did a spring trip there a few years ago and it took bloody ages.

it's flaaaat at the bottom, but theres some sweet terrain at the top.

It has been a few years since I lived in Hokkaido, but the trips up to Asahidake were ALWAYS worth it.

It was always epic on the opening 2 or 3days. If the wind patterns are not in your favour you will have to head backside but be prepared with avy gear, a topo, and extra food as rout finding is impossible if it starts to puke.

Another gem not too far from Asahidake is Kuro Dake. An old chair takes you 3/4 of the way up(the skiing up to here sucks), then you tour up to the top for some short but sweet turns. The top is steepish but it does flatten out quickly. Also tons of BC touring options backside, but again a nightmare to navigate in snowy conditions due to lack of trees.

Enjoy \:\)