sakebomb- well was thinking about going to Annupuri, Higashiyama, maybe Rotsusu, but now I am considering baggin the whole trip for the same reason you haven't crawled out of your rock ($$$$$$$$$) but minus the wife and child. Going solo is damn expensive, but haven't made up my mind.

No, But I am planning to this winter. The reports I have seen on skiing in Honshu also show that there are great places to ski with good powder and challenging terrain.Its nice to go somewhere different.Who knows, I might prefer skiing on Honshu rather than Hokkaido.

Niseko is not the be all and end all of skiing in Japan. Niseko is hyped up, no doubt about it.I can understand why people who have other favourite areas in Japan get peeved.

There are people using this website who have never skied in Japan (and/or Hokkaido). These people post messages on the forums wanting advice on the best places to ski. They should get balanced advice on different places in Japan . For example:

" Niseko is reknown for some of the worlds most consistently deep, light powder but those wanting more challenging terrain might want to visit resort areas such as Hakuba and Nozawa on Honshu. On Honshu skiers can also enjoy excellent powder skiing."

I just think bagging a place because some people think it's "too flat" is way off the mark. People enjoy different ski areas around the world for different reasons. Niseko has great powder and people go there because of it. Not everyone is an expert skier and Niseko might just be perfect for them.

I think you will understand the bias here once you have spent a bit of time on Honshu. Why would you jump on a plane when you have all you need in your back yard. People on here are wondering why all the hype about Hokkaido because they are not seeing the massive amount of marketing going on in other countries. No matter where you go you should have a good time, Niseko or Hakuba. I know myself though that I like to challenge myself and when you get so much powder as they do in Japan the mountains actually have to be steeper to get the same thrill. All resorts have the beginner/intermediate/advance slope criteria covered so expert or not, everyone is catered for. It's usually more important for advanced sliders to find the better terrain.

Quote:
Originally posted by puretele:
I just think bagging a place because some people think it's "too flat" is way off the mark. People enjoy different ski areas around the world for different reasons. Niseko has great powder and people go there because of it. Not everyone is an expert skier and Niseko might just be perfect for them.
couldn't agree more, we don't ALL drop into vertical rock surrounded chutes and hike backcountry peaks

I'll be in Niseko from 16th to 18th. And maybe probably Rusutsu or Furano in Feb. Personally, I got tired of big resorts and would like to try small resorts in different area if I have a chance.

Fattwins,

I will probably be headed to the Nagano area, nothing confirmed as yet. I am hoping to meet a friend of mine who works in Seoul, sometime in February, in Tokyo then we'll head up to the Alps. It will all depend on his availability regarding work commitments. Hoping to have a week to ten days. What are your recommendations considering my friend is not big on the BC (I'm sure I could squeeze in some BC though).

Cheers