Hey everyone! It's good to see so many people psyched about snow. Sounds like there are lots of adventures to be had in this wonderful country. Here is one I'd like to start with.I will be heading up to Hokkaido on Dec 23rd for a week of glorious powder. This will be my first trip up there so I'm stoked to explore a bit. I plan on staying in Niseko and probably checking out a few of the resorts. SO if anyone is sticking around for x-mas and wants to head up with me, let me know. Also if anyone has some places that I must hit, I would love to hear about it. Thyanks!

Fubuki,

You must check out La Ponte for a day trip from Niseko. Only 2 lifts but lots of deep powder and interesting terrain. A little further from Niseko about an hour back towards Sapporo is Rusutsu. Again powder to die for and virtually nobody skis off piste. Again its a day trip out of Niseko.

Checking the snow reports from last year Niseko had about 1.5 metres of snowfall between Xmas and New Year.What a great way to bring in 2006!

Or you could drive 2 hours to noz 2 to hakuba.

3 to Yuzawa, 3 to gifu.

Everyone and there mama knows about La Ponte and Rusutsu now. With the tour ops carting a 3+ van loads over each day it will not stay untracked for long.

Im going off topic again, so whichever you do have a good time but know that you dont have to travel far to get the goods.

FT- yeah yeah I know that Hakuba is only a 2 hours drive, but I will have all winter there, starting next weekend. So I thought I would head north and check out some areas that I can't see everyday. Why are you so anti-niseko?

puretele-where abouts are you in Hokkaido? I spent a part of a season on tele boards a few years back, and it is my mission to tele most of this season. So if you can hook up for a day that would be cool.

fubuki,

I am based in Australia. My only confirmed trip to Japan at this stage is in Mid February but I am hoping to get up to Hokkaido on another trip sometime between Xmas and Mid Feb. If I get a chance to get up between Xmas and New Year I will PM you.

I not anti Niseko pre-say I dont want the place to close or anything like that. Its just not the end all or be all of Japan sking. Whichever enjoy it cause the season looks to have dropped its base down to stay.

If im wrong correct me. I think that you are one of kurisu's friends?

FT-you are correct, I am kurisu's friend, and I wished I had gone to Tateyama with you cause the next weekend was a total blizzard and I only got one and a half runs in, but there will be plenty of time for BC this spring.

Tastyfish-do you know when you are going up yet, or where you're planning to stay?