My FAVOURTIE small local ski resort Jangle-Jungle, has had to close for the season due to an avalanche/rock fall damaging the road up to it.

Work cant begin until the road has thawed, apparently.

A major blow.

Your condolences please.

I don't know about Zao... Ive never had a REALLY good day there.

Jangle-Jungle was nice because it was so close. I'll certainly miss it for the odd day when I don't feel like going too far away.

I was very close to buying this years season pass at Jangle Jungle (I opted to renew my Zao pass)! It's a nice place for boarders to praactice tricks.

Yamagata Zao kinda sucks for boarders; the distance between lifts.

What's the next closest resort to you?

I think my reasons for not having fun at Zao are, as number9 said, because of the flats.

I suppose being able to maintain speed through them comes with local knowledge, which I have yet to obtain at Zao.

The gondola bomb run, however, sounds rather intriguing. You'll have to enlighten me OBM...

Until then, I guess I'll be spending my time at Eboshi.

@ iambenw

You need to take the #3 ropeway, go left out of the peak station, all around the hill, pass under the gondola and then takes the closest bee line that will take you back to the bottom station of said gondola. I cant remember how long it took us to do this run but it was between 5-10 minutes. If you do it right(i.e. dont stop) your leggs will be shaking seriously when you hit the bottom and there will be more adrenaline coursing through your body than you know what to do with...

Also if you go to stay overnight, stay at the sangorogoya at the top. Cheap, decent food, run by a gaijin/japanese couple who are pretty cool, plus you can go out at night and build jumps on the slopes right outside the lodge without people bugging you....

Ive always had lots of fun at Zao, not too much off piste although it can be had if youre willing to hike a litte and duck a few ropes. If youre a bit of a speed demon, you can defo have fun as long as you stickj to the runs that drop you back in town and not on the back side of the mountain which I agree is flatish...

Quote:
Originally posted by obm:
What do you mean by powder lesson?
Fatski and off pite lesson.
I've been to Zao three times before but can't remember what it was like. I just remember it was very windy.
It's nice to know there are some off piste spot there, obm!