• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

newcomic, nice work on scoring the job. my friend studied jap for 3 years at uni but didn't get anything!

don't bother with timtams, you can buy them in supermarkets etc over here. aussie wine is also readily available. stuff like panadol or cold&flu tablets may come in handy - i know lots of guys who complain japanese medicine isn't strong enough.. whatever that means.

vegemite..hmm.. can't say i've had any cravings though i would KILL for a packet of crumpets.

yeah, get tetsu to hook you up with transport outta cortina, he may also turn a blind eye if you head off course? not sure though.

Tetsu is a rookie patroller but dont make him turn a blind eye he will get in crap. I already told him that if I go there then dont treat me any differently than the other customers. I go there like once a year though so it doesnt matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
I couldnt imagine that youd keep your job for long when you have to bust people for riding where they shouldnt be and you then go and do it.
I couldn't imagine going to Cortina and riding on the piste \:D

I imagine with Cortina and Norikura you can keep yourself pretty busy for the first few weeks until you get good and used to the jp riding style. By then you will have a good idea of where you can and can't ride on the mountain to avoid problems.

But remember, you are in the heart of one of the densest packed centers of ski life in Japan. There are plenty of resorts within a quick drive. Try to make friends with folks you work with that will take you around to the best spots in Nagano. Make sure you get up to Nozawa and stuff up North for a few weekend trips as well. Making friends with people that work at other resorts could lead to free days of riding or possible (ultra hush) easy pass swaps. Just hanging out on this forum enough will surely lead to having plenty of people to ride with.

You will never have to worry about being carded when buying alcohol. A beer will cost you a couple bucks, a couple more at a bar.

Enjoy Japan and enjoy the pow!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Tetsu is a rookie patroller but dont make him turn a blind eye he will get in crap. I already told him that if I go there then dont treat me any differently than the other customers.
i think the trick is to get him to chase you, which enables you both to have a kickass ride? (but i'm not sure of the consequences at the bottom!) :p

Cortina was the first place I really rode in trees and at that stage I had much less than your 10 weeks riding. I had more like 20 days, so you will be fine. It was f***g great and it lasted all day, open to close, not one full run on the groomed runs. But if you work there I don't think you can afford to break the rules as well (which as FT said, is going to make you cry). Anyone who said you will get bored there in two days quite obviously knows nothing about breaking the rules.

You are going to have a ball and will never want to ride in Oz ever again.

Ok, I have calmed down now.

(The Cortina days goes way back: I was there with the above Ender and we were put onto the virgin goods thanks to a phone call to none other than Fattwins!! It was such a good day, if I wasn't wearing a helmut I think I would have got rope burn on my scalp)