First time to Japan - Niesko + Lift Tickets

English guy (24) coming with two mates (all living around London) to Japan in Feb 06. My first time to Japan so very excited!

We are going to Niesko to ski and have some accomadation booked at the Niseko Lodge (nisekolodge.com).

One thing I am trying to find out about is lift passes. I might want to stay on a bit longer than my friends if I can find a room to rent for a couple of weeks so would be quite interested in the monthly pass. I have heard these exist but the lodges can not get them. Is that the case? What are the "point passes?". All I see on the websites is the max 7 day pass for 28,800.

Anyway, thanks for answering the question if you can. Would also like to meet anyone in Niseko who is a good skiier and can show us around. We are all qualified ski instructors and looking for anyone up for showing us the top mountain local spots in exchange for a few beers!

You can get a great value 4 week hirafu pass for 40,000 yen i believe. Otherwise a 2 week pass is 30,000 from memory. Check out www.grand-hirafu.jp

Jindy boarder, There is no ATM in Niseko, however there is one in nearby Kutchan. You'll need cash, bank notes and lots of them because cards and travellers cheques are apparently not widely accepted in Niseko.

Padders, i'll be there all of February so i'll see you on the mountain.

BIG HANDY HINT No. 1:

if yar wanna get a cash advance on ya plastic fantastic, make sure ya credit card is one that ya need a PIN to preform that tranny. ya can do it at tha post office in Kutchan.

last year, went to said p.o. and witnessed a forty-somthin aussie payin out big time on a staff member cos he couldn't access his 'millions'. like, it was tha staffys fault?? AND, had tha gall to pay out ontha dude cos he couldn't speaka da eigo.

aren't tha peeps they book tours through meant to be tellin 'em all this stuff??

Q. Why would you take out money on your credit card?

A. Because you've run out of money in your regular statement account and need more for beer, meals, lift passes etc.

That's the beauty of a credit card. You obviously don't have one.

My friends and family continue to be blown away when i tell them i'm going on holiday to a place that doesn't have an ATM. Then when I tell them about Nisekos abundance of lights for night-riding, high speed lifts, luxury hotels and top-notch restaurants they think i'm making the whole thing up. There's no such place as Niseko. You're lying. You're going to Amsterdam again, aren't you!

• 1 month later...

Ausbc,

Thanks very much for the help. Shame there is no monthly all mountain pass - looking forward to seeing you on the slopes \:\)

On the credit card / cash machine discussion - can you pay for lift passes with credit cards?

Forget bringing credit cards. Forget bringing travellers cheques. There are ATMs at Chitose airport, and apparently in Kutchan. The banking system in Japan is way behind the times. I've had more success with banks in Myanmar than in Japan when it comes to transactions.