I can't sit here just reading snow forecasts and watching webcams anymore. I want to watch some boarding action on DVD. The only thing I've got is the HH DVD: Happy Happy. Very good.Thought the tunes on there were pretty good as well. I'm not into too much stuff in the park, I prefer all mountain carving,speed, mad idiots jumping off cliffs that sort of thing. Got any recommendations?

Yes sir!

I haven't had a chance to purchase any of last month's releases, but here are some greats from the past couple of years...

'POP' by absinthe films - probably the best release from last year and if you want to see freeriding and powder this is it at its best

'Saturation', also absinthe films - same as above but the season before

'Vivid' by absinthe films - above

'White Balance' - freeriding mainly, big mountains

'afterlame' by robotfood - freestyle/freeriding/park, a fun film, great extras too, one of the best from last year

'Kingsize' by JD pictures - I love this film, freerding mainly, its not 'huge' but has some of the best cinematography and rider intros! cool to watch

I think if you're going to get just 1 film, definitly get POP, it's the best! Epic powder, they visit Rusutsu too! And the biggest gap ever jumped features in this film. Now i think about it, just get this no matter what! I'm going to watch it now \:D

As for this years releases i heard Paradox and Futureproof are proably as good so maybe one of them.

You can also download most these films on bittorrent websites, they should be about 700mb

anything by absinthe films is awesome.

standard films are also pretty sweet.

and teton gravity research make pretty mental freeriding films, with a good mix of skiing and snowboarding.

makes me want to go watch some now.... and then go crazy at not being able to go riding straight after

Pop I think it is. I'm off to buy it after work, for an evening of chillin, inside and out; snow forecast for UK tonight, even in the south. Bodes well for my Alps trip next month.

fb_steve and spook; thanks for the info. I'll probably end up working my way thru' your lists and spend all my trip money on DVDs. ;\)

Absinthe films are cool. Most of them have the big mountain Jeremy Jones and Axel Pauporte riding something seriously knarly. Of the ones I've seen, Transcendence has the best tunes.

It's about five years old, but the best tunes ever on a boarding film by absolutely miles are on The Haakonsen Faktor. Super cool breaks all the way through. Still a great film that one. In addition to Terje pulling a method like only he can to the tunes, you get the late Craig Kelly riding big mountains and Shaun White looking about 10. Which he probably was at the time. Other films have bigger lines and bigger tricks, but The Haakonsen Faktor is easily the coolest.

I wouldn't bother with the Mack Dawg films unless you want to see lots of rails and those zany and oh-so-watchable funny faces to the camera. It's kind of what you'd expect from a white kid who calls himself "Mack Dawg".

My favorite film of last year was definitely Lost in Transition. Great soundtrack and interesting focus on some up-and-comers in the sport (with some classic faves for flavor too). Bonus of a bit of Japan footage as well.

Other strong recs are the Robotfood series Lame and Afterbang (Afterlame is good but it is a bit goofy and more focused on the life of the pro snowboarder than the riding).

You can't go wrong with any of Standard's TB films. TB10 - Optigrab is particularly good and features all of the most progressive riders today.

• 2 weeks later...

I just acquired my second snobo dvd: 91 Words for Snow. It came free with a magazine. In London, the large newspaper shops only sell one or two snobo mags, so I was lucky to find one at all, let alone with a dvd. The boarding mags are usually bottom shelf, tucked away next to the Carp Fisherman and Historic Steam Engines. There is usually a 15 foot long section of 'mens lifestyle' publications (FHM and similar puke).

I really enjoyed 91 Words. A little too much kicker action, but a good theme. The cornice bombs at the start are great. Amazing up close slab slides that gave me a new angle of them.

So yippee for free dvds! I watched it three times and felt pretty good. Then I got on here and saw Montoya's 4 feet deep pictures from the weekend and, well, the dvd lifestyle just doesn't cut it.

I second 91 words for snow. It is amazing, talking about the different aspects of riding, with a little bit of everything. Big mountain gnar, powder, goofing off, rails, halfpipe and big air. No carving, though.

Beautiful cinematography (especially by Mike Basich) and and all-round good video. Cheap too.

Its being sold right now in this months issue of SNOWSTYLE. 1200 yen.

Yep, 91 words for snow.

a bit different from 'trick, trick, trick..' format. a great movie.

Pop from last year (so cheap if you can find it..) is pretty good, as is Vivid from a few years back.

Older vids are also pretty fun to watch and get you stoked on riding - like Simple Pleasures, The Garden, or really old ones like 'The Hard, The Hungry and the Homeless' - but don't pay too much for them - the standard of filming was a bit sketchy back then

This year's Future Proof is hands down the best vid this year imo. Just incredible. Nicolas Muller and DCP rip up some tree runs in Hokkaido that will blow you away.

Paradox is terrible, stay away! Editing by numbers, and the last guy has the worst style ever.

From,....with love: is pretty good. 2 videos in one -> you can watch it by rider parts or by locations. very nice

True Love: cool hip hop soundtrack mixed by MFM. Good flic.

TTT #1: this is my favourite video this year. A scandinavian vid with an amazing soundtrack. Really, really good editing.

I can't think of any more right now

• 1 month later...

Kuma - I wish I had seen your comments of Paradox earlier.....

Inspired by my enjoyment of 91 Words, I bought the Paradox recently. It had good footage and plenty of free ride which I like. Music was inconsistent. I like what was on it but didn't feel anything from it due to lack of character. It was way too much like a produced snowboard video, which obviously it is. It also put in my face everything that I avoid in a carefree manner: What is cool, what 'in people' in the industry are doing/thinking/wearing/listening to. Snowboarding to me is the thing I strap to my boots and the person I am riding with that day and the fun we are having, everything else is meaningless. This movie felt like an intrusion into that bubble, as I suspect most movies would. After watching it I felt like I had been sucked into an unwanted education of what snowboarding really is.... and told that I am not part of it. In short, it didn't make me feel happy, it made me aware of what I am not part of. Waaaaay too much use of the term 'back in the day....' followed by some disguised whinge by an unknown person about today's snowboarding. I didn't know who the people were, so their opinions were kind of lost on me, yet not what I wanted to hear.

The dvd special footage was much better than the actual movie, even though that is where the 'back in the day....' vibe was the strongest. I really enjoyed the Alaska legends section. 100% true, I always thought Tom Burt was a legend skier.

It seems riding a snowboard is most enjoyable when done in ignorance of snowboarding..... except for the infrequent exposure to free movies that come with magazines. The rest is noise.

(Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie to watch and the riding and camera shots are great. I just look at things through different lenses sometimes.)

Yeah, I felt really bad after watching Paradox. The first rider John Jackson has a solid part but then after that it sucks. Sorry you got that one! I picked up 91 words for snow when I was in Whistler over Christmas and it was really interesting. I liked how you got to see what Jeremy Jones did at the top of the mountain, etc. Not just 3-5 second clips of trick after trick. The down side of that video though is all the talking and slow parts. I wish there was a 'just action' version that I could throw in and watch before I go riding and get stoked.

I tried Paradox a few more times over the weekend (quite possible, as it is so short). The film really is rubbish. I want to send it to the creators, tell them politely that it is rubbish and ask for a refund. But I will keep it for the Alaskan 1st descent section in the special extras.

Besides the good Alaskan part, there is a guy who's face keeps appearing in the special extras, it kind of looks melted and annoying. Dunno who he is, an old guy. He looks like a sleaze.

Then there is the last dude in the main film, the one that end his verbal section with the line "...I just go to Wallmat, buy a broom and clean it up booyaka!" And spins his finger. That make me want to push him off a cliff. He is the last guy on the film and destroys a good Mars Volta song.

funny thing about that last guy is how he starts off by explaining how it's no big deal to throw 9's in the park but it takes skillz to do it in the bc...then his part is total crap. He does the worst b180 I've ever seen. He really needs to get back to the park to get some style. All of his tricks are yawners. Just terrible