Hey its all skiing isn't it. Thats my point.

The North Alps looks wicked (great photo). Niseko - good powder mountain,you bet. Both very worthy ski experiences and are awesome in their own way.

As far as making you a better skier. It depends how far you push yourself. It is not terrain dependant alone.

Niseko can get 15 metres but I agree it averages about 12. Anyway, its a lot of snow.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sking yes! Good powder sking for 2 hours yes.

Making you a better skier by pushing yourself....? 40 to 50 degree trees vs 25 to 30 degree trees. Ive met quite a few people who thought niseko had extreme terrain. then ive gone and scared the crap out of them in the north alps. Better terrain makes you a better skier or snowboarer. Heck why do you think most pros are based at ripping mountains? Lets talk rugby, do you think auz would be good if they only played Irans team everytime? No way!

Quote:
Lets talk rugby, do you think auz would be good if they only played Irans team everytime? No way!
Actually, yes they would! :p
This a boring arguement, how many times are we gonna see it this season?

Mines bigger than yours ;\)

I actually had unbelievable powder skiing for 8 days in Niseko and Rusutsu last winter.

Niseko does not have extreme terrain. Agreed.

I have skied in the Alps and North America at resorts with extreme terrain (Verbier, Chamonix, Jackson Hole, Whistler)and yes that improved my skiing. But there are other things that also contributed to my skiing ability like racing, skiing heavy powder and bumps to name a few.

On Rugby. How about the Wallabies beating Ireland on the Weekend!

Fattwins how many are you expecting to catch this season? Everytime you throw a line out these days you seem to catch another one.

As you know I'm heading back to Niseko next year - because it's so flat and I'm sick of Whistler, Kicking Horse, Fernie, Banff Resorts and Europe etc.

blpic33316.jpg

blpic32839.jpg

The tenacity with which you go after the Niseko 'myth' is praiseworthy, Fattwins... it's almost like you have a vested interest in converting all to Hakuba affectionados... ;\) \:\)

In the spirit of the topic title... I'm stoked for you Nisekans, and the sight of all that powder makes me wish I was back in Japan; for this non-extreme telemarker, the memories of deep mellow turns through the trees still linger...

I have not said anything about hakuba in these posts. I have only been talking about the North Alps and that is all.

Sorry Beaver but that second picture is the reason I would never go to niseko that is so flat.

When Niseko has a week without snow is there anything interesting to ski?

Miteyak have I ever really changed my tone about niseko?

this will make you a better skier

biglines_46024.jpg

The hype about Hokkaido by the Australians is usually driven by the myth that they don,t think the rest of Japan get good powder snow - Good marketing by Niseko. Once they realise that they can get deep powder, bigger steeper mountains and less crowds they will start exploring other areas. There is not a lot of steep terrain (especially inbounds) in Australia and what is considered powder snow in oz is nothing like that in Japan so you could put most Australians anywhere in Japan and they would find it challenging enough. Actually most skiers would find the deep powder too difficult to ski. But that doesn't matter because the Groomers are immaculate anyway.

No Fattwins, you haven't, but it was a bit of a thread hijack this time...

But now it's well and truly hijacked, I have to admit that, since being in Oz, I have been educating Ozzies about Hakuba, and sending them that way, esp. if they aren't coming early season/are expert.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed deep powder everyday. The snow was wetter than usual and it wasn't so easy for me. But it was fun!! I expected more Australians, they are not in Niseko yet? They missed this great start of season. That's too bad.

No, not yet. I'd love to have fat skis but I've been hesitative about getting them since last winter...

Sunrise, I was in Niseko just for three days. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Are you able to go skiing on weekends this winter?

You know I will, Fats - still juggling this latest - shipping costs are the main killer plus I may still get to Canada, so those particular fat skis are still up in the air and will probably be gone by the time I can feasibly budget for them (thanks for sending me that link, though).

Slow- sounds like a nice little trip you had. Weekends aren't great for me at the moment - I work Friday and Sunday nites at the moment. Midweek is totally open, though currently juggling several overseas trips so I have to really watch my funds, and may not get away to J slopes very much at all. Hopefully a few recording gigs might come my way, then I might even take a few days off my regular gigs. Gotta do a trio with you and Phat Luv again, eh?! And we'll get Rach up there too. By the way are you interested in checking out Canada?