• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Too flat to really care
Bit of an overly negative post on an otherwise happy thread, don't you think?

It's true that some parts of Hanazono are quite flat. But other than that there is heaps of fun terrain to ride in Niseko. Nothing terrifying, but good fun.

Oh, first post. Hi everyone! Been riding in Japan for a number of years. Used this site frequently for snow reports and resort info (very useful), but thought I'd take the plunge into the forum.
Have a fun season...

Sorry, in hindsight not the best choice for a first post... Should have added one of these \:D .

I suppose it's relative. Comparing Niseko to somewhere like Hakuba, then yeah of course Hakuba is steeper. But it doesn't make Niseko 'flat plain and simple' just b/c it's not as steep as another area. Just my opinion.

Anyway, hope to get a bit of riding in this weekend. Have fun all.

You're a bit harsh Fattwins. Niseko's not flat! Certainly not terrifying but enough steepness to have plenty of good turns and the awesome, fresh, dry pow makes up for a lack of real steepness in my humble opinion.

I am with fattwins,Niseko is flat and we just want to voice our opinion, its not just being negative.You guys can have it whilst we rip up our peaks on Honshu, dont bother coming down here the snows too heavy and it doesnt snow as much!!

I certainly take the point about some areas in Niseko not being that steep. But you can’t tell me that the comment “too flat to really care” is not negative.

I’m sure Honshu offers great ski experiences as does Hokkaido. I have not skied in Honshu but would love to. I’m sure it is out of this world.

There are plenty of places at the Niseko ski area with great pitches where you can have lots of fun in waist to chest deep snow. As evidence just have a look at recent pics and vids I have posted here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/gallery/index-vids-puretele.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo.php?userid=puretele

Everytime I pointed my skis downhill in the deep I went somewhere. The bottom line in skiing is fun and you can have plenty of fun in consistent falls of light, deep snow at Niseko.

I also have fun skiing steeps, moguls and other ways of snowriding but for me, as a telemarker, the ultimate ski experience is the nirvana of gliding through deep, deep powder. Niseko provides this for me.

You cant even begin to compare the north alps to niseko it just bananas.

Where did you hear that niseko get 15meters?

Niseko on average gets 11 to 12 meters of snow and that is in the Japanese magzines.

Niseko is what it is a good powder mountain that will never make you a good skier or snowboarder.

blpic41356.jpg

Compare that to niseko it just come close.

Stop the whining. You guys should just kiss and make

up. Or, head to Daisetsuzan and ride the good stuff.

It's like crossing the J-Alps with the

gentle/snow laden volcanoes of Niseko.

Splitters, Skinners and Sinners unite!