Can anyone give me some general info on Furano and Asahidake.

Hope to get up there for 3 or 4 days before spending 10 days at Niseko and Rusutsu.

Would like to ski a few days in Furano - 2 days on the lifts and 1 day backcountry and 1 day up at Asahidake.

Need some info on good reasonably priced accomodation and transport plus tips on where to find the deepest powder.

Thanks

A great place to stay when u r at

Asahi-Dake is Shira-kaba-so? It was 3200 or so a couple of years ago. Shared acomodations but super nice place at a good price. Nice small onsen as well.

Near Furano, but not in the city and quite far from Furano ski hill, is a great access point to Sandan-Yama and Furano-Dake aswell a bunch more BC terrain. I belive this is the Start/End of "Roof of Hokkaido Traverse".

Forgot the name but again accom is about 3600 and has a wicked kick but onsen. About 15 minutes down the road is a great free and natural pool of a hot spring. Caution you may have to add snow to cool it off first.

try to contact the Asahidake Visitor's Center. A really down-to-earth guy named Kazu works there and spent a long time in NZ, speaks fluent English.

also, most of the lodges are at the base of the tram at asahidake and have two meals per day. no convenience stores in the area. it's just powder all day

feel free to pm me if you need more details

Starting from the top, the onsens are at Tocachidake onsen are: Ryounkaku (brown water, outdoor onsen is great but in winter I wish it was hotter), Kamihoroso (wooden onsen), Baden Kamifurano (on the corner, great food but I don't think it has a rotemburo), the free one is Fukiage onsen, Shirogane onsen (the one with the campsite, loads of outdoor pools and a mixed onsen which you need your bathing suit for).

The entrance to Furanodake is next to Baden Kamifurano.

The entrance to Sandanyama is from Shirogane onsen.

I heard that someone skied there today...I wonder how it was.

Is Kazu still working there? I haven't seen him for years!

Sunfun,

The "Roof of Hokkaido" traverse sounds interesting what does that involve?

Stealth,

Do you know what the hotel is like at the ryounkaku onsen? Have you done any backcountry tours from there?

Thanks

It's a 5-day hike (I think it's 5...it could be 7) going across the tops of the mountains on the Daisetsuzan range.

I've never stayed at any of those onsens. The Ryounkaku one is old but the staff seem really nice. The Kamihoroso one and the Baden one are newer. Shirogane onsen has a kitchen you can cook your own food in and the accommodation is in dormitories. I don't know what kind of place you're after. If you give me more info then I can recommend a place for you.

I've sent you a pm too

puretele,

have you seen this link?

http://www.asahidakeropeway.com/

Seems to have good info mate thumbsup.gif

found this for Furano mate but wont be helpful if you cant read Japanese. Just in case:

http://www.princehotels.co.jp/ski/furano/

a few more:

Tateyama:

http://www.alpen-route.com/english/index.html

Happo:

http://www.hakuba-happo.or.jp/

I've hiked it a couple of times(5days) spring and summer time. Attempted it in the winter(3days) but bad weather and poor visibility forced me back down , halfway through.

Basically it is from Kuro-Dake(Sonkyo) to Shirogane onsen. Great traverse but be sure to go prepared and recomend checking it out in summer first as this terain can be unforgiving in a blizzard. I recomend planning on 6days in winter.

Lots of options to bail out in case of bad weather or emergencies. That said, you still feel like you are far away from it all.

Splitters, Skinners, Sinners unite!