I like 5hours or 8hours ticket idea better than day ticket. Seems like this hour ticket is more common in Hokkaido.

Niseko has 30hours and 50hours ticket this year. I'm not sure it's better deal or not. And maybe this is tricky, but still it's great idea, isn't it?

It's interesting,

Hirafu only 8hours 4300yen, 50hours 30000yen

All mountain 8hours 4800yen, 50hours 45000yen, Season pass 150000yen!

Yeah, this Niseko season pass is too much.

If any resorts in Nagano, Niigata or Tohoku have 30hours or 50hours ticket between 20000yen and 40000yen, I would buy a couple of them. It's cheaper than season ticket and I can choose which resort to go depending on the snow.

150,000 yen!!! unbelievable I don't know how anyone could justify that! it's almost 3 times the price of my Nozawa season pass, they are pushing their luck (trying to rip off people based on Niseko's current popularity, makes me angry, trying to take advantage of people)

but in regards to a hours based pass, resorts would need to have a fairly complex ticketing system monitoring at what time ticket 45678B is used etc, I don't think it will happen in Nagano, sound's expensive to install. but I agree, it's a good idea in theory but difficult in practice

They already have some automated hour based passes in Nagano, right? (Half day passes and such) where when you scan your pass through the lift gate, it'll only open for the hours you've bought. I reckon the 50 hour pass works so that it subtracts the hours you took the lift for each day you're at the resort, from the total of 50 you have. (ie. All they really need to keep track is the first and last time you took the lift that day to see how many hours you were on the hill.)

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
It's interesting,
Hirafu only 8hours 4300yen, 50hours 30000yen
All mountain 8hours 4800yen, 50hours 45000yen, Season pass 150000yen!
With Hirafu you've got a nighta worth bothering with, so you'll get people going out for a half-day and then the nighta. It's good if you can do that on the same ticket.

With the the above prices, the 50-hour one is more expensive per hour than the 8-hour one! Is there a catch with the 8-hour one?

mr. wiggs, i disagree. hardly anyone rides nightas up there- compared with how many peeps are at tha resort at any given time. Nightas have been tha highlight of my time up there, (8 years) and i haven`t noticed a real difference in the amount of peeps doin`em.

eg: last year i spent 10 days up there, and rode last lifts 8 nights. (1st. nite on the ink, and one night in sapporo) the mountain was virtually deserted.

everyones (read, westerners) are too interested in gettin on tha piss, ahh, i mean, experiencing tha culture shifty.gif

150,000 yen??? CRAZY. yet another example of tha greed which is consuming that place. btw, who`s gonna be buying season passes at those prices? most rocals ie, staff, usually have seasons passes included in their package, to compensate for mediocre wages.

I don't go to Niseko so I don't know how many people ride when. From the photos, morning-rest-nighta struck me as a good way to spend your time there. This concept of breaking days into hours means you wouldn't need a half-day and separate nighta ticket, like at most places. Though at a lot of places, the nighta isn't worth bothering with in the first place.

yeah, there is culture in niseko but it comes disguised in a VB can, usally wants to fight, is rude, obnoxious and has no respect for others shifty.gif

ozbc- make sure you`re super-fit when you arrive, keep tha beers to a minimum and you`l hava blast. don`t be put off either when ya stick ya head outside before ya go for a nighta, only to find it lookin` ugly and blowin a gale.

conditions are usally completely different up tha hill, and there`s always some nice protected spots in tha trees. GOOD LUCK ;\)

Cheers for the advice powwwers.

I know sometimes I wake up early in the morning and look outside at the wind gusting and instead of going surfing, i'll go back to bed. Then i'll wake up at 10am and regret not getting up for the earlier cleaner, less-crowded waves.

I can see how riding for 6 hours a day may exhaust you to the point where if it looks a bit windy or low vis you talk yourself out of going out riding.

Then of course you get home where there's no snow and you regret not doing that night session...

My initial reaction is to not like the varying hours plan. I guess it works for some people that just want to ride a couple hours a day and maye get a night in here and there - but it punishes you for riding a lot. I can just imagine wanting to go back up for another good run but thinking, "well if I skip this run today then maybe I can get an extra hour tomorrow before the pass expires."

When I rode there two years ago, the same 30,000 bought you 28 full days at Hirafu. I certainly rode a lot more than 50 hours with that.

Wonder if the people who came up with the 150k yen season pass have forgotten about all the extra revenue a season pass holder brings in terms of concession sales, bringing friends and family to the gelende, etc.? Wonder if they calculated all that into the higher cost and lower volume season pass sales?

• 4 weeks later...