Forecast is for about 30cm at shiga and other areas in Nagano between now and saturday morning add that to their current 15cms? and I figure I should be able to find some nice areas to slide down. My question is where to you recommend for someone going alone with only limited back country experience, but proficient skier

I went skiing last weekend in Karuizawa, and now I don't want to stop. Unfortunately I don't have the experience to do anything like Torque and Fattwins on their Tateyama tour but I figure there should be onther places that I can reach easily enough by car, hike from the road up a bit of a hill and slide down

Hi RockyV

Their site seems to be saying that "early ski" will set you back 3,900 yen for the day.

http://www.kumanoyu.co.jp/lift/lift_fee.htm

The road over from Gunma to Shiga Kogen will be closed for the winter from 1pm today, so you won't be able to get over from that way (ie. you'll have to approach the area from Yamanouchi town).

Have a good time. And remember to take some pics \:\)

Went to Naeba. The resort looked like it was completely open because it was covered in snow. But because it just started snowing recently, it was obviously not even enough for a base. Anyways, I stayed on the slushy manmade snow. I couldn't figure out whether the snow was heavy or it was my new skiis which are about 50% longer than my short skiis I used last year, and has real bindings which add to the weight, and I was sluggish from a half year away from the slopes. Nonetheless, it was good practice, and it was nice to be on a hill outdoors. Some snowboarders made runs off the manmade snow, but they were running right on the grass underneath. How's running on grass for the boards? It was too crowded in the late morning, but otherwise the crowds weren't too bad on the slopes. And there was never more than a couple minutes wait for lifts. It snowed lightly all day, so if this keeps up, hopefully the whole resort will be open soon with real snow. Oh yeah, the lack of the single rider line in the lift queue really sucks, it felt like I was butting into the line even though I was just grabbing empty seats on the quad chairs that pairs and triples were using.

Good to hear you had a good time. Grass riding isnt bad for your boards, rock grinding is though.

Early season just dont push yourself too much. I took a header my second run this season. I prefectly double ejected, got back in skied down to a mate and sluff avied a 10meter area.

With these colder temps the resorts can really start to pump out the man made stuff. Actually on Friday night it snowed up around Takasu and I got suck behind a salt truck. I didnt snow enough to stick though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
I took a header my second run this season. I prefectly double ejected, got back in skied down to a mate and sluff avied a 10meter area.
And I have to say that being the guy that he sluff avyied onto it was kind of scary watching all the snow fracture 2-3 metres above me in nice blocks

Quote:
Originally posted by number9:
I couldn't figure out whether the snow was heavy or it was my new skiis which are about 50% longer than my short skiis I used last year, and has real bindings which add to the weight
Number9 were you just usng snowblades last year?
What are you using this year?

Yeah, I was using 90cm snowblades last year, which was fun but the locked bindings worried me because I wanted to play around on the courses and parks but didn't want to break a leg from doing something stupid. And I wanted a bit more speed (though I still have a lot to learn about controlling speed), so I bought 138cm 04-05 Rossignol Scratch Free ZBs.

http://www.rossignol.jp/product/ski/lineup.html

I'm maybe gradually working my way up to normal length skis, which I have more trouble controlling. Snowblades felt just like inline skates, which I'm more capable of.

The new skis are obviously quite heavier than the snowblades I was using last year, but so was the manmade snow, and the muscles I haven't used all summer :p Anyways, it was a good work out because there was hardly any wait in the lift lines.

Good to hear grass riding doesn't damage the boards, but I'll stay away from that, can't risk running over a rock \:\)