Well since all it seems I am talking about is riding outside of Japan, I might as well make a thread.

Danz, Dane, and I are planning our annual trip to Whistler for a couple days around Dec 27-28ish. Just in case anyone is planning to be around those parts I wanted to extend the invite.

I have a pass to Mammoth this season but will be living in Santa Barbara. That means I will likely only be able to go on the weekends, and not every one at that. But if anyone is riding in California over the winter then drop me a line and maybe we can meet up. I hope to get a week at Mammoth the first week of January and somewhere around mid March. Maybe a few days in Tahoe as well.

I am always looking to meet up with old friends or to make some new riding buddies. I wish I could come indulge with you all in that precious jp pow - but it looks pretty unlikely this season.

Wow Alaska is a crazy idea. I have never really even considered that. Seems like it might be just as expensive as flying to Japan to ride for a week in Niseko - but I am game to at least look into it. I have a week of round mid-late Mar.

Big-Will - usually I am having a bit too much fun to fumble around with a camera, but there a few pics of Colorado here and some cali pics around the first page of my horribly designed homepage .

tahoe_donner.jpg

Donner Lake in the N. Tahoe region.

mammoth_jan05-view12.jpg

Mammoth

mammoth_jan05-view18.jpg

Mammoth

I was just thinking that if money and time was no option and I could whisk off to anywhere to snowboard for a couple weeks then it would most likely be Niseko. I just love it there. The powder, the people, the vibe, the ease of access.

I dig the riding in Hakuba too, of course - especially powder days at Cortina. But Hakuba is all spread out and just doesn't have the same allure for me as Niseko. Maybe part of it is that when I rode in Hakuba I was living in Nagano-shi and had to do the drive everyday (except occasional few night stays). There is a certain feeling of seclusion that comes with living in Niseko (I should say Hirafu I guess). It takes a bit of effort to make it there. It is just you, powder, a bunch of people there for the same reason, and a trailer to grab a beer in. I have done day trips to Hakuba from Tokyo (which is stupid... but possible).

I don't mean this as a dis on Nagano at all. But if I had to pick a favorite overall place to spend some time...

So is the Snowbeds versus Chalet debate still raging around these parts?

ender that debate ended quite a while ago.

Everyone can have their favorite resorts ender if you prefer niseko then all be it. You better book now though. For me I want to be in the big mountains. When the powder stops you need to mach down big long hakuba chutes.

• 2 weeks later...

ender, danz, dane -- i'll be in whistler (now with toque) on the night of the 30th. you guys should stick around, we'll be skiing dec 31, jan 1, 2, 3.

i've sent a couple emails to danz, but he must be busy building missles and stuff.

It will be cool to get out skiing with you again Crazy. I can't wait. And if there is lots of snow I'm gonna be on FTs Spats which will be cool. Just have to make sure and knock them around as much as possible to see how sturdy they are.

Hey guys - Danz may well end up back at Whistler around the New Year but I won't be able to make it.

Some change of plans. Danz and I are debating possibly making it a trip for those two days to Big White instead. I have been to W/BC a whole bunch of times and know the mtn/area very well. However I have never made it all the way to BW. Any comments from the BCers here on how the two compare?