What's up all? How have things been around these parts lately? Winter is quickly approaching and I wanted to tap into the wealth of skiing and snowboarding knowledge that is snowjapan. I hope you excuse my long absence.

I am currently studying for the semester in Prague (yup, for those of you who don't know I gave up the bum life to finish my degree - this ain't so bad either). I leave here Dec 22, but I am seriously hoping to see a little Alpine snow before that date. Prices are super cheap to fly from Prague to Geneva (€100 return) - if I buy it by tomorrow. The dates I have available is the weekend of Dec 3-4.

Should I go? Is it just too early to be worth it? Basically any decent riding is really worth it. Oh man do I want to be on a board!

Assuming I can get some snow under my feet, where should I go? What is easy to get to out of Geneva? Is it stupid to stay in Geneva - should I find a hostel out of town? There is a slight chance I might have a place to stay in town. How hard is it to commute (only talking about 2 days)? Of course I have heard of Chamonix - but is it really the best? Is there something better for early season, easy of access, terrain, price, etc?

(Yo is barok still around here? If so, you remember that girl from Nova that used to talk about Chamonix every day we rode with her!? grind.gif I'll never be able to think of that place without that coming to mind.)

Finally - anyone riding in Switzerland this winter? Looking for someone to ride with from Dec 3-4? I would love to have someone to make some turns with.

I already checked out this thread which had some good info. Bobby - how was your trip?

Aight y'all. I hope everyone is having a good Fall and getitng ready for the season. I don't know if Danz has been around here bragging but resorts in the Pac NW all opened this week! Way to make up for such a rotten season last year.

Not too many resorts will be open on your proposed date. The season starts late in Europe.

Nearby Geneva, probably: Verbier, Chamonix, Tignes, Val Thorens

then there is access from the airport. I once tried to hitchhike from Geneva to Chamonix. I stood on the roadside for over 2 hours for nothing. Went back to the airport and luckily got a shared taxi to Chamonix (which was still 30 euros). The other possibilty is to catch a train, but you will need to plan a lot. Probably best to rent a car. There are some shuttle buses but they only run during the season.

And double check if they are really open. ValTho and Tignes will be open for sure Cham and Verbier don't know depends on the snow.

Quote:
Finally - anyone riding in Switzerland this winter?
Hi enderzero.... I wish I was! I fell in love with the place during my short visit over summer. Be sure to take lots of pics - I want to see what it's like in winter.

Wotcha

I am boarding in Avoriaz (France) for 8 days at the end of December. Its on the border with Switzerland - part of the Portes de Soleil area of interlinked resorts. Was going to follow Sanno's advice and go to Flaine but hooked up with some other boarders. If I get time I'll post some photos, but hopefully I'll be too busy to stop and take any photos.

My fist trip to the Apls and my only other experience is Tohoku.Can't wait. clap.gif

Thx for the advice all. I went ahead and bought the tix. So I will be in Geneva from Dec 1-4 if anyone is around that area. I am a little worried about snow cover but looking at Tignes right now.

Let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

It was a bit of an adventure but I got my first day of the season. I arrived at Diableret only to find that the glacier (which is still open for the season) was closed due to high winds (I seem to remember winds plaguing db's trip to Switzerland). So I high tailed it back to the station and asked them where I could snowboard. A bit of a detour but I eventually made it to Verbier which only had two runs open but they weren't too bad. I can tell that place would be amazing when it is running full blast. It ended up being a pretty pricey excursion, but at least I got to snowboard. I will hopefully make it to Austria next weekend. Anyone been to Amade ?

BTW - Switzerland is freaking beautiful!!

You mean Salzburger Sportwelt Amade?

There are some nice lines there but it depends on where you go. As it is an accumulation of several resorts connected by bus.

Zauchensee is you best bet I think.

avoid Flachau (flach means flat is german and it really is flat) except for the apresski.