hey everyone. I know you guys probly wont want to talk bout this (crowd things out even more), but i was just wondering if you could fill me in on where some great, uncrowded resorts around the sapporo region are, also not to far from niseko and rusutsu.

P.S. I know niseko has gotten very popular especially with us aussies, but ive heard rusutsu is a lot less crowded, is that true.

P.P.S Are there many backpackers hostels around this region, if so could you give names

P.P.S I have been thinking about in a few years time, spending a cuppla years in Japan, Hokkaido, just wondering what jobs are around,any feedback would be geatly appreciated. Also would i need a visa(working) any other requirments, thanks a lot.

im not fussy, ill be happy with almost anything. Did you have any ideas? How good do you have to be to become a ski instuctor? Would that be good? On or off the mountain ill be happy as long as im able to spend a bit of time riding.

You can get a Work holiday visa easy enough ifyou apply soon enough. You can do just about any work. most ski instructors these days in japan need a license cause there are alot of people that want those jobs now.

Also remember that there are other places besides hokkaido that you can work and play in.

I went to rusutsu the last two seasons for day each time, i'll tell you this much,

both times it was AWESOME

the second time especially,

I don't think I've had a better day in my life,

a whole mountainside to myself and my brother, we spent the whole day jumping and jibbing between the trees and never struggled to find new fresh tracks. Even though there will be a lot more aussies doing day trips this year, i still highly recommend you visit, I can't imagine that it will get that tracked out even this year.

Rusutsu seemed to be a hell of alot less crowded compared to niseko, besides the tour group we were the only westerners. There also seemed to be a class difference in the locals that visited, I got the feeling it was an 'upperclass' resort, and not many patrons went off piste. My brother and me managed to bag most of the off piste tracks first runs in the morning, it was the best feeling!

I really recommend you visit rusutsu for a couple days at least, you won't regret it!

- Steve

the type of work you get will really depend on how much japanese you know before going. if you can get to a basic conversational level then you have a huge headstart and may be able to find work that isn't schoolteaching.

and getting a working holiday visa is a bit of a pain, youll need to book your flight and show that you have 2000 USD worth of yen before they even issue the visa, at least thats the case in nz. so you need to be sure where you are going and what you are doing before you apply for it. mine took about 3 weeks.

Hey another snowboarder from Perth, what a co-incidence! I'm heading to Niseko for February 06. I was looking for backpacker accommodation, since i'm travelling alone. In niseko, there's Shizenkan Backpackers or Lodge Bam Boo (both have websites). I'm sure there's others too if you have a look around.

Personally, I think you're better off working hard and saving for a trip rather then trying to combine the two. I did a season in Whistler last 04/05 and the hassle of having to organise visas etc, find a job, miss out on fresh tracks cos you got work etc etc...it's really frustrating (but if you gotta do it). This time round i'm going to Hirafu to ride, no work, just riding.

Thanks for all the info so far!!!! \:\)

Im going to the "niseko" region next year for a cuppla a weeks, where should i go snowboarding, there will be a group of about 10, and i wouldn't mind doin some hiking. Cheers

do you want a speech? get equipment, learn how to use it etc.

being in the BC not OB is at your own risk or risking others. if you dont understand the bc then go with someone who does ie a guide.

That is not to take away from your fun.

powda: Thanks, I'm glad you're loving the responses. Seriously, you're with 10 people in a place where avalanches occur. Additionally, you don't know the area so getting lost can be a real possibility. As FT said, you're risking lives - read the link from Montoya in the back country thread. One death and one guy who is amazingly lucky to have been found unconscious and turning blue.

Doing a simple search shows up http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/5/54.html?

and contacting some of the people mentioned in that thread is a better idea than trying to do it yourself without help.

thanks sava, by the why the "group" (10 was an estimate) most have already been to niseko, and have knowledge of BC and equipment. We are not stupid, espicially when our lives are at risk. how did you guys get onto the topic of me gettin equipment & guides??? No offense..honest

Thanks

Im sure no one intends to cause offence but the topic of equipment and guides comes up because there are a lot of Aussies coming over each year that reckon they know a lot about riding powder and the right gear etc. but the reality is that lots of holidaying aussies have pretty limited experience and generally fit the profile for potential Mountain accident victims.

ie. Highly motivated to ride powder

High confidence in ability level

Group mentality

Limited local knowledge

Limited experience

Im not saying that the above is you, for all I know you could be a backcountry expert but the question "where should I go hiking?" doesnt really inspire a lot of confidence in your level of knowledge and most experienced posters here dont want to give out "advice" that could end up getting someone killed.

Maybe if you tell us exactly what kind of hike youd like to do, what sort of hiking gear youll be

using and some details about your group, people might feel a bit more comfortable about giving you some more detailed info.

Excellent point there fattwins. Make sure you know how to get out from wherever you end up. Don't do what I did, and ride too far down into the valley, where there is very little snow and a great big 11km hike back to the village! (Whistler last year...)

Hey peaker, i know exactly what you mean by these "ausies", i actually feel sorry for all the people who have had to put up with what some of them have done, (no offense to fellow aussies who have had respect and behaved them selves)but those who have, should be ashamed, because they are ruining it for the rest of us. There is a good article on this in the Ozzy/NZ snowboard mag, issue 2 or 3 i think...., i myself havent done alot of hiking, BC of Remarks in NZ & Falls creek and Hotham in Australia, and would say that im am not very experienced, my mates have done a fair bit of BC throughout NZ and Whistler/Blackcombe

I was just wanting to do some runs off the niseko BC and the 3 mounts. of rusutsu, just wondering what the areas are renound for eg avalanches. No serious hiking, unless my mates have something else planned...hmmm, thanks again

its like surfing- not alot of australians die in the surf each year, but alot of visitors, enticed by class Aussie barrels do. Same with the snow I aint no expert but i have done at least a bit of study and i rekon the snow is way more sketchy than 6-ft Cactus...(you cats are from sydney wouldnt know that one anyway). so take the advise without stress, when the shit slides man it is scary. and i rekon any "ive riden falls creek and survived crew" boarding underthe flag of lil johny howard is gonna get cleaned...no arrogance, just respect.see you in the guts....easy

South or South Eastern facing slopes are the most dangerous areas in Niseko. That includes a large amount of the terrain you ride through if you ride back to the hanazono lifts from the summit which is the most popular "hike".

As you head up to the summit the obvious bowl that you see on your right has been the site of fatal avalanches in the past. The safest line down is to follw the ridge line and avoid the bowl. Ironically that area is probably safer now than it used to be, thanks to the large numbers of people who are happy to blast in there and test it out on a daily basis. The compaction caused due to frequent riding by aussie avalanche poodles makes things a bit safer but Id still be careful in there, particularly on a windy day. It goes without saying that beacons probes and shovels are pretty much a necessity for any riding outside the boundaries of the resort.

The other really dangerous spot is the steep gully

that is between Hirafu and Higashiyama. Under Niseko local rules all riding in there is completely banned. Reason, several fatalities including people who were just snowshoeing.

Have a fun trip

• 2 months later...

Peaker thanks for putting some factual info into a thread that opened the gates for a for yet another bevey of ivory tower standpoints from a few members ;remember your first off piste turns ?.yep its getting crowded in Niseko and yes there are increasing numbers of less than experienced riders,however you cant stop the hype and if its not in Niseko it will be somwhere else , however education not villification is the only solution as the migration is in now in full swing.Should have seen it in Europe when fat skis were introduced, people with no experience appeared in the most ridiculous of places. Unfortunately or fortunately life is change and chance and as we know safety often only comes after experimetation,however given Nisekos Local Rules and the fragililty it has as far as a legal stanpoint with the government,those who ride the Niseko backcountry regularily will know there are now positive forays into the Gajin community to spread the word to their lesser educated countrymen and in particular Australians.

Hats off to Shinya who passes his winters giving information to us foreigners with no bias with only the wish to keep people informed,safe and having good turns.

One last thing Tourism turns ski lift motors.

Loved Caves at Cactus ,preferred Blackfellas at Elliston for a bit of punch ,but u cant beat Manly for a good latte an optic and chargin Winki or Dead mans sorry just had to drop that in.

Quote:
Loved Caves at Cactus ,preferred Blackfellas at Elliston for a bit of punch ,but u cant beat Manly for a good latte an optic and chargin Winki or Dead mans sorry just had to drop that in.
Is that English?
I'm very confused.