• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you patrol at some resort in Japan?

--

Found this, State of New Hampshire

CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

Patrols and maintains ski areas to ensure adherence to ski rules and regulations.

Administers first aid to persons injured while using park facilities.

Operates ski lifts and related equipment including snow vehicles.

Participates in chairlift evacuation and mountain rescues of persons, sometimes in remote areas.

Prepares initial injury reports concerning ski related accidents.

Inspects ski lifts and reports suspected problems to supervisor.

Transports and unloads trucks of lime, seeds or fertilizers.

Constructs foot bridges and hiking trails.

Operates cats and graders in rough excavating and sub-grading operations.

Performs maintenance work such as painting, plumbing and fence repair.

Basically to ensure safe sking by marking trails and downing avalanche control work.

helping injuryed people.

customer service yes it is very important.

push the company to open terrain that is safe to ski, ie closed areas. Patrol shouldnt have to try to catch people or play a police roll everyday.

Enforce closed areas and give a reason. Be strict but give a reason. To say dame just isnt enough. Explain why the area is closed. For example, this area is closed because if it slides it could take out a lift tower and break the lift.

Sweep the entire mountain at the end of the day.

ski in front and behind grooming machines when there are still customers onthe mountain.

Welcome back I AM PATROL. Please read the thread that you started last season to eventually never be heard of again, that should give you some pointers. Please tell us more about yourself as well!!! Also tell us what you think about people's remarks about the patrol.

Toque, sharp as ever, thank you for finding that old thread and bringing it back.

Why dont you make like a tree, and leave!...toque

What should patrol do?

Avalanche control

Stop acting like Nazis hiding behind trees in areas that are clearly not dangerous

Take lessons from real patrol in N. America and Europe as to how to run a resort

Quote:
Originally posted by I-Am-Patrol:
Thank you and yes I did post last year. Sorry did not come back, I will take a look at it again now.
sweet. It would be nice having somebody who can give imput to make Japanese resorts more progressive.

What do you think your responsibilities should be?
 Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:

What should patrol do?
-Avalanche control
-Stop acting like Nazis hiding behind trees in areas that are clearly not dangerous
I think this is the biggest thing. Open up terrain that is within your bounderies. To do this you will need Avy training. With open terrain you won't have to hide behind trees but can instead ski/ride the powder.

In the end it is the management’s decision on what or what not to open. Patrol can give input but that is about it. Also training, again patrol is only as good as the company lets them be. If the company won’t pay for avie training, then we can’t slag the patrol too much can we?

My mate will work on patrol this year at one of my favorite resorts. I know he loves to ski OB as do I but, if he catches me I expect him to follow the resort policy. If it means that he has to take my ticket, then so be it.

I think that we have to be careful here....

Firstly, Japan is way behind N. America in powder demand, that is, until recently, Japanese people didn't ride powder - groomed runs were the go.

Not only do ski patrollers have to cope with dealing with a new kind of problem, they aso have to deal with a problem that is growing at a far faster rate than the patrollers can learn.

Rather than sayng " they need to do this" shouldn't we, as locals, be saying , " How can we help them improve this?". It 's just a thought but for years this website has been a slag fest. There are bags of local experience here - lets put it to good use....

Come on guys, 9 years of Skijapanguide.com..... start kickin' ass!!!!