Thanks Montoya.

Will check it out.

The swallowtails have been around for a while. I think it makes powder turns easier but you loose some traction/portance in the back. I guess I could try again...

I put the softer, more pliable things (skins, clothing, platypus water reservoir, etc) on the side closest to my back, so there is some padding. the shovel and snowshoes go on the outside pockets.

you know, I have heard of regular resort riders who put can-kohi in their front jacket pockets, later fall forward while boarding and end up cracking their ribs. ouch..

Yap, I know what you mean. I was stupid enough to do the same with my wallet. lol.gif

I lost my breath after the fall, and I was hurting even when I was breathing for the next 2-3 weeks.

Ouch!!!!

shifty.gif

So basically that’s why I was asking about falling on your backpack.

if you've selected a good backpack and have loaded it right, there should enough of a cushion to protect your back.

I think there was a thread here last year about good packs, try searching for it. I use an Osprey Switch 25+5, like it alot.

Swallow tails help you to turn in powder by angling your board up slightly. Turning in powder has never been a problem for me and I would rather get the extra float that a regular shaped board gives. I guess it might be less of an issue for a lighter rider.