During my season in Whislter, I lot of people used to smoke weed and ride.

I tried it a few times, but it didn't do much for me. I like to be completely aware of my surroundings, and weed made me feel a bit blinkered, and tired. (For the same reason, I don't like to listen to music and ride).

What do you think about riding whilst under the influence of weed, booze, or other drugs?

1. Do you (have you) done it, and why/why not?

2. Have you got any good stories about it?

3. Do you think it's dangerous?

I am well aware of the legality, but that doesn't stop alot of people around the world from doing it, and I think it's an interesting subculture of the sport.

Obviously Japan is alot stricter about this than say Europe or Canada, but I was just interested in people's opinion on this topic.

I was working as a liftie back in the bumming days and...

and a couple of boarders were hot boxing their bubble quad. I dont care if you want to do it just make so I obviously dont know. They raised there bubble right at the unload and the smoke wafted out. I just said "open it a few towers back please, if anyone higher was here I would have to do something".

I wouldnt even think about doing this type of stuff in Japan though.

As for riding high... isn't the whole point of snowboarding or skiing to get that natural high you feel when you're racing down through the trees or waiste deep in powder? Cause that would definitly be the best high for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by KlingKlang:

I had a few beers once and it totally wrecked the day. Not again, I'll leave the beers for the evening

I had a bad experience on australia day last year.. ended up wrapped around one of those tiny japanese toilets and was so ill the next day i missed the best powder day of our trip! I LEARNT A VALUABLE LESSON

They have a closing party in Thredbo at this restaurant called Kareela Hut, it's 3/4 the way up the hill. Anywya, you're greeted with a tray of schnapps, as you can imagine it gets pretty messy. We skied down, I feel about 10 times at least on the way down, lucky to have survived...it's funny how you can fall drunk and not injure yourself.

This is in fact how I learned to ride switch...

In california, on about my 15th day out ever, a friendly local offered a hit on the lift up - by the time I got to the top it seemed like a good idea to see if I could ride goofy, which didn't really work out at all for the first hundered meters or so, so I tried going back to normal only to find that if anything it felt entirely ABnormal, and had in fact become rather dangerous... seemed I had no choice but to go back to goofy, and by the bottom I had begun to wonder if this wasn't in fact the way I was meant to be... for the rest of the day I couldn't manage a single turn the "right" way round. Anyway what goes up must come down end and I am back to left foot forward but definitely gained a bit from the experience...

And no, anecdote aside, I don't recommend it - it didn't take many more days of riding to also learn that being in less than full control of your faculties in a place where you can easily cause injury to others is A Bad Idea.

I have never had any weed boarding but I did have a sesh once before going out for afew waves. All I can say is that the surf was quite big (6ft+) and all it did was make me paranoid and kept pulling back! Better off keeping the sesh's for after. Drugs and sport don't mix though some make you feel like you can do anything which is potenitally dangerous!

Getting drunk before skiing is not very bright idea.. U cannot control ur board so well , but in the other hand it makes you mad for tricks so..

But riding high , huh cannot say anything else but love it when your insticts get double as sharp as when ur completely sober , i know that doesn`t sound like weed-high but that how it affects me shifty.gif , but done it only in familiar resorts , not gonna when arrive to japan..

i have known people who have been caned throughout heavy snowboard sessions, skate sessions, hikes, football matches, university exams, astrophysics masters courses and alsorts.and they've done well. for some people it really doesn't seem to affect them to do things 'high'. they can operate like any other normally-functioning individual after a few zoots.

it hits everyone differently. me, the only drug i indulge in is alcohol, and that's always after the last air, slide or carve. one beer and i'm all over the shop. i never shred or skate after drinking.

but each to their own.

be careful in italy though, you can now get breathalised, on the piste, if you are involved in a bad accident....

i personally think that anyone who is out shralping whilst inebriated or 'mashed out of their box' is extremely selfish, inconsiderate and, frankly, dangerous. unless they are in a situation where they can only damage themselves.

i agree with the general consensus on this post. snowboarding and skiing rock enough without having to enhance the experience with tweed or ale. save it until afterwards...

i also used to meet sooooooo many people in whistler who smoked before/whilst riding. it definitely seemed to be part of the lifestyle out there. '4:20 duuuuuude!!!!'.

not for me.

grab method.

Quote:
be careful in italy though, you can now get breathalised, on the piste, if you are involved in a bad accident....
They should have that here as well, I bet lots of the accidents are drunkards - I sure see a lot of all drunk up people on the hills in afternoons who are a danger to themselves and others.