2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone ever stayed at the J-First in Niseko? They have a fantastic deck outside their caffe that accomodates about 100 people. Anyone familiar with European apres ski will agree that that is seriously lacking in Japan(i.e. a place either indoors or outdoors where throngs of ski/boardwear clad people congregate to have all sorts of spirits and talk about the days adventure from 4pm all the way to dinner time). Ive organised a couple of hot wine/beer parties out on said deck later in the year when there is still some sunlight at the end of the day and they are a lot of fun. So, "my point is", i'll be doing it agian this year and would love to see some of you guys there, or join forces with other like-minded members....

Great idea, but I'm not surprised that the culture wasn't imported into Japan. The bar going crowd probably doesn't (or didn't) overlap too much with the ski/boarding demographic in this country (as the majority of the population doesn't go to bars or pubs, but they'll go to izakayas). But things may be changing these days with the proliferation of British/Irish pubs, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by obm:
a place either indoors or outdoors where throngs of ski/boardwear clad people congregate to have all sorts of spirits and talk about the days adventure from 4pm all the way to dinner time
Dinner time can be stretched pretty far I guess. I know plenty of places where you can see people stumble around on skiboots clumsily clutching their skis at 2am.
But more and more apres ski places close around 7pm for an hour to make sure everyone gets home and have something to eat before the take on the night routine.

Ah the bubble. That word conjures up images of taxi tickets, overseas "training", hiring, building, and shopping sprees, the ski boom, etc. But I never really heard much about particulars of the ski boom until I came here, interesting.

Bubble or no, more gaijin or no, i think we gotto do something. I like the transition between last addrenaline fuelled run to nice cold wet one, to food to onsen. The last part is what needs to get EXPORTED, in my opinion...

What i really miss tho in Niseko is that the restaurant at the top of the Alpen quad used to have tables outside on nice days. Guess there werent many takers to make that a regular event.

Too bad. I could think of lots of places where they could do that, Alpen hotel at the bottom of the quad, that littel funky restaurant half way up the Hirafu side underneath the gondola.

Which reminds me, does anyone know if they still serve the excellent kaniramen over at the restaurant in hanazono(bottom)? Since the take-over, I understnad there have been some changes... That was one of the places where at least you could enjoy an outside lunch in Feb/Mar which was key in the pre-"lets segregate those people that want to smoke actively versus those that are forced to smoke passively" days.

I had an outside lunch at a gelende restaurant at Akakura last March, that was fun. Every place should have that, for spring skiing at least.

And yeah, onsens and riding go so well together they need to be exported. That's at least one advantage Japan has on other countries' resorts :p

Quote:
Originally posted by obm:
Bubble or no, more gaijin or no, i think we gotto do something.
And something is going to happen

End of January in Hakuba

Probably end up being FT, Yama and I sitting around drinking beer. And Sava if he is here then.