Hi!

I am a collge student and really interested in working as a ski instructor this coming winter at Hakuba area.

Ideally, I'd be happy with seeing many foreigne gusets and teaching them in English and in the future I want to become a ski guide who can entertain guests from overseas.

Could anybody tell me which ski school (at Hakuba) has many foreign customers the most?

What the impression or idea of the ski school in Japan you went to before?

If the instructor's English is bad, does it disapponit you?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally posted by pilot:

If the instructor's English is bad, does it disapponit you?
I think they expect pretty good English and no misunderstandings welcomed. Your English has to be sophisticated one. Do you think you pronounce good?

That's cool.

soubriquet, what I wonder is it always needs some

urgent usage on instructing ski technique.

Especially when students ski incorrectly and having risks to get accidents.

If it's not a risky occasion like in an accommodation like my case, I think people don't get disappointed even when I speak bad :p

Thx misorano.

But I think even when I try to pronounce words correctly hard, a lot often I notice I do it incorrectly.

e.g.

Right and Light (R and L are always big problems)

Selfish and shellfish

sit and sh*t lol...

\:\(

BTW, why is it always Gams (plural?) when you call me, misorano?

yeah

it's annoying

at the very least, you say thanks and then later you give an account of your experience

it's even worse with all these people who come in and ask the hakuba/niseko questions that are answered on the first page of posts.

(p.s. I have asked lots of these sorts of questions, but it's generally more specific stuff after doing a search

Thank you for your answers.

I'm sorry for not showing up.

I'm not bugging out!

I understand the idea you want an instructor with good English.

Acting as the instructor describes exactly on the slope is not so easy even if you had the same language.

When I'm learning skiing from Japanese instructor, sometimes I'm frustrated by the instructions which didn't come across well.

It depends on what the guests want from the instructor, isn't it? Some might just want them to attend their children or tell about the mountains thay see, local stories or things like that.

gams

you seem to be good at English.

have you ever been to slopes with foreigh poeple?

how do you learn some ski-related english terms?

Quote:
Originally posted by pilot:
gams
you seem to be good at English.
have you ever been to slopes with foreigh poeple?
how do you learn some ski-related english terms?
Yep, sometimes people need me to play with them on ski slopes and if I had enough time in a quiet day and in the mood, I would.

My English base ( I think ) is from English language songs which I sang a lot when I was a student. Believe or not, it still works in my mind. I don't think I can speak so long, complecated sentence with slangs but if you know some basic patterns, it's practicable.
One of my problem is gramatically gerunds and infinitives e.g.

#1.I remembered to say "thank you".

and

#2.I remembered saying "thank you".

I often get confused with them and still not good at using them properly which might cause some confusion to my English speaking guests.
\:\(

And another problem is probably prepositions.
But if some foreign people speaks to me like "Eigo hanashi masuka?" , it makes me relax \:\)

i'm confused. is pilot a native english speaker ?

&gamera, your english always amazes me. but..

Do you think you pronounce good?

this sentence would make my mother (a grammar freak) and my high school english teacher go crazy.

americans (& increasingly australians etc), say 'you did good' but for some reason, we were always taught that this is a definite mistake.

i'm not sure why. i just recall many occasions of being reprimanded with

'you did well. not 'good'.'

just like we were taught never to say 'i'm good', but instead we must say 'i'm well'.

i wonder if people are still ast strict about this nowadays?

I guess pilot might be neither an English nor a Japanese native speaker. Perhaps one of other language is his/her mother tongue.

Not sure why you can't say you are "good" inspite of you say you feel good, not you feel well.

A lot of contradictions, something hard to explain in languages.

Both are adjective, right?

But well is used more like as an adverb sometimes specifying verbs while good is used only as an adjective specifying nouns.

e.g.

"well done"

"good job"

And both go

well-better-best

good-better-best

grrrrrrrrrr

wakaranai.gif

ha.

back to the original topic - i learnt to ski in japan from a japanese teacher, even though i could barely speak at the time. it was all about following my teacher like a little duckling, copying what they did & trying my best.

i remember there was a girl from norway & she quit half way through the lesson as she was so frustrated with being unable to ask questions.

so pilot, some foreigners may not mind english that is less than perfect - even a few words would probably be appreciated! but maybe not for kids?