• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

montoya you are going a bit over board on the camping there.

*No tarp you dont need it.

*-20 sleeping bag yeah they are good but you can get away with less.

*4 season tent? nah dont need it unless the winds get a bit crazy. you cant seal a 4 season tent either, you must keep the vents open to let out the CO2.

*sleeping pad yes.

*warm socks and and extra layer or 2 yes. down if you have it.

thanks for the info. we have some -10 montbell bags, but need to gather the rest. shouldn't be too hard in Tokyo with all these shops around.

curious, why don't you guys do the snow-cave thing? still not enough snow there, or too much hassle?

I did a stretch in Photoshop. Image -> Adjust -> Levels -> Auto.

Auto deletes the lightest and darkest 2% of pixels in the image, and distributes the remainder over all 256 brightness levels available. Sometimes, depending on what you want, a manual stretch is better.

The result is better contrast, though you do lose information.

This is toques' original photo

soubriquet_42.jpg

The bottom axis is 0-255, the number of brightness levels available. 0 is black and 255 is white. The histogram shows the bulk of data are concentrated in about a two-fifths of the available space, and two enormously long tails.

The stretch:

soubriquet_43.jpg

cuts off the tails and stretches (redistributes) the data into the available space. This particular photo is an extreme case, so makes a nice illustration.

Sorry toque, I hope you don't mind me doing this.

Great pics again everybody.

Thanks for the invite FT, will pm you guys when I go there.

Not sure how Toque can concentrate with such a view. These mountains look like they could have some sweet steep lines with more snow!

Soubriquet, you are quite a wizard with the pics!

Montoya, if you like montbell, there is a big shop with lots of stuff very close to JR station EBISU. They have 2 floors.

SerreChe you shouldn't have told me that, it is just another excuse for me to go out and spend more money. I guess they have switched to full-winter gear by now.

I like this thread, watching for the snow every day..

Yes Montoya, I know what you mean. Sorry, but happy shopping ! lol.gif They have some cool stuff in that shop.

Last time I went, I only got the free catalog and did not buy anything! I was proud to have restrained myself.

By the way Montoya, yes, great that you know a person with local knowledge at Tenjin. That's the way to go! You are especially right, it does seem to slide quite often over there and people get taken down on a regular basis. So, I will not be the one to rock the boat. Safety first.