A friend with a 195 has this routine for the gondola there: Have someone get in first and open up one the side-windows, slide the board in, then get in. So, it can be done.

Btw, here is what I am thinking for this season. Base will be Kagura, but am planning to hit lots of other places as well:

*Regular-Season

Kagura, Tanigawadake, Tairappyo, Nippaku, Tairappyo-Tsuchitaru, Hakkaisan, Naeba, Kandatsu

*Road Trip

Nozawa Onsen, Hakuba

*Spring

Shibutsu, Yarigatake, Karasawa, Tateyama

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, good to know that it can be done. I guess I will need a little bit of practice.

It all sounds good. I remember from the top of Kagura checking the mountains across. Looks like there are some nice steepish mountains which are tree-less at the top. I was checking the map today, so looks like it is Tairappyo.

Nozawa Onsen is really good but not very boarder friendly in my opinion as it has a lot of flat sections. Still is excellent though on the steep portions.

Tairappyo is a place I really want to explore this season, I think you'd enjoy it. Hike up is around 4-5 hours, I think there's about 700 meters vert:

img158.jpg

Another route is going down the backside to Tsuchitaru via Sennokura, with a long hike out. Even more vert, I think 1200-1400 meters. Here are some pics:

http://minminsroom.fc2web.com/shikeyzawa.htm

The view from Tsuchitaru looking back is this:

sennokura-tsuchitaru.jpg

Nice Pics. If it takes a long day to hike and back out then it might be better later in the season when the days are longer, unless you can camp overnight or make a snowcave. Looks really good.

Funny, new member with my signature for his name... Welcome to the forum Colymbosathon ecplecticos. My guess is it is somebody I know...

SerreChe, have you heard of Pierre Tardivel? He's a French extreme skier, and skied down the North face of Yarigatake in 1994. I think that is a +70 degree face. Have you seen any photos of that anywhere?

here's some background info..

http://www.bivouak.net/articles/Tardivel.php?id_sport=1

http://www.montagnes.com/grimpeur/tardivel.asp

It is the oldest male fossil animal yet discovered (425 Mio years old). It is an ostracode, some kind of sea-dwelling creature related to arthropods that was gliding on the sea bottom. Was discovered in the UK. Apparently the name in greek means "amazing swimmer with a large penis", although I cannot vouch for the translation. There's a BBC news article there:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3291025.stm

Sorry not very related to skiing/boarding... except for the gliding bit maybe but I am also a scuba diver... So since the cat is out of the bag, I am gonna have to find a new signature now \:\)

Picked up some gloves for the wife at Sakaiya, then bumped into a Niigata friend at the same shop, he was in town for the Tokyo Auto (Motorcycle?) Show. We ride with him all the time at Kagura; he mentioned Niigata is still kinda warm. Walked around a bit and played some pool later.

Here's a pic of Jinbocho, tons of snowboard/ski gear wherever you go. Just need the weather to get a bit colder:

jinbocho.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by stainedyellowteeth:
Did you do take part in the old traditional "eat the first snow of the season" ceremony?_
I eat first snow of the season all the way through to the last snow of the season

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
how steep do you think is that couloir? +40 degrees?
It's about 40 degrees. I'm not good with angles. Pretty cool descent. I skied it last Golden Week and there is a trip report with pictures on here somewhere. Titled Kamikochi to ShinHotaka