• SnowJapan Admin

Can't speak for others, but I'm planning on doing a lot this year.... those first seasons when I was here and was out there 80 days/nightas a season seem very far away.

Funny how since the site has become more popular, go out skiing less.

Actually no, thats not funny. mad.gif

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got our first snow in the valleys of Alaska last week. It's been COLD recently. I only live at 300 meters elevation, but we've had probably 24 centimeters the past 3 days. It's all melted, however. The mountains are doing good though. Damn good in fact. Meters of snow have fallen over 1000 meters el. recently.

I miss checking the Japan snow forecast maps on this site. It was always a roll of the dice early in the season, but when I saw that first splotch of green in the Hakkodas and on Hokkaido, I'd get soooo excited \:\)

Here's wishing you all a great snow season!

maybe it's their real name and their parents were uncreative?

First born is SnowJapan.com #1 , second bord SnowJapan.com #2 and so on?

I agree that it would get boring especially the snow in japan thread. To liven it up a bit, they should randomly put posts as other users.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi toque.

It depends on the time of the year.

We started developing the new functionality stuff for the site around May of this year, and right now we're really busy preparing to put it all online next week which will be a major job in itself (updating "live" sites that are already up there is a headache!) That work has involved 1 programmer (sometimes two) pretty much full on, myself (quite a few hours a day, it changes every day but a lot at the moment) and a designer from time to time.

On top of that theres other things of course - updating our database, relationships with resorts, organising the giveaways, some advertising, promoting the site, etc.

When the season gets going the busiest parts are the daily reports and making sure all the member stuff is going ok, forums, etc.

For the forums - there are 4 of us who look over them and have moderator "powers" cool.gif ... obviously it's not 24 hour coverage but most times in the day there is someone keeping an eye on them.

So there's a lot of time going into it. \:\)

SJ.com #1. I think I may have asked this a while ago but I'm not positive and can't find it with a search...

Apart from the illuminati, where does funding for sj.com come from? I don't see ads etc, so I was wondering if the resorts contribute at all or someone else?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowJapan.Com#2:
Toque, we all do have other handles (some more active than others!))
Great, I thought Ocean and I were getting in to bitch fights when in reality, I've been talking smack to the administrator! lol.gif

montoya - no japan for me this year. I'd love to ski the Hakkodas again though. It may take a few years to get back, but I will.
 Quote:
Originally posted by SnowJapan.Com#1:
lol.gif Plucky - none of us are any of the high-post users on here, really don't have the time or extra energy for that! (In fact, very few posts, actually I think double figures is the most).
Aargh....just kiddin' mate...

(I missed talk like a pirate day on here, so thought I'd make it up now \:\) )

Getting back to the first snow...

Maybe it's my eyes going bad but is there some snow on the 6 day forecast? (I'm too cheap to subscribe)

There's definitely some in eastern Russia.

That mount Yotei pic is pretty funny, can barely guess the snow. wonder how much on top. Sava I strained my eyes as well but could not see that snow in the 6day forecast. At least it is getting cooler... Montoya, wher's your first planned outing for this season? Plucky, being in Alaska can't be too bad though even if Japan rocks.

SerreChe, nothing planned yet except to wrap up work as much as possible and other loose ends by end of November.

That said, would be nice to hook up later this month in Tokyo and talk about upcoming trips. Let's try to get some people together at a pub or something.