Mr W:

Only been here 2 months or so but the thinking here is pretty old fashioned. No new ideas at all.

I don't really understand all the lift companies, I know Happo has 3, but then there is another company the runs Happo, Iwatake, and Tsukagaike (Hakuba Resort Co). And along the way is the Tokyu group who seem pretty big too.

Seems to me the way to revitalize this place is to get the numbers back up and create some good will so people keep coming back.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the pass is a name card with a photo that you exchange for an electronic chip at the window every time you use it. You'd have a job trying to lend it to other people.

I don't want to get into local politics, but "get the numbers back up" is not as easy as you may think. Not when there are literally hundreds of unviable resorts in Japan discounting away all their margins just to get bums on lifts. It drags the whole industry down, even great resorts like Hakuba and Nozawa.

You may be right, but quite a few people I've met here seem keen to moan about the state of things without getting out and trying a new approach.

We are quite lucky in that our business is not tied to the local economy, but I wanted to set up a website for accommodation in Hakuba as our off season coincides with the ski season. Trouble was that the only way to really get contacts is to join several local associations and that has taken 2 months and now we don't have enough time to get thing online in time for this season.

Simple, low cost idea, but dragged down by the old fashioned Japanese System.

Misorano, I guess people are affraid of big changes?

Not easy to change systems which have already existed for long. You said it's 2 months but for me it's 195 months and still trying sometimes feel it really tired and myself being useless though.

\:o

But.........

You never know what you can do till you try as my signature says. ;\)

Give it a go, mate

\:\) thumbsup.gif

If the resorts owned lodging and could profit from offering a cheap pass they would.

one of the reasons 47 is was so popular (ie not dropping skier visits as much as others) was their seasons pass policy. by offering seasons passes they cornered a growing ski bum market. When you think of areas such as whistler they charge alot of money for a seasons pass. even if I bough a 47 iwatake and tsugike pass it would still be cheaper than whistler.

We complain lots about prices but really sking here is pretty cheap at 4000 for an average ticket. the price of getting to the resorts is way too high.

cb is that hirafu only?

Like I said if all bought early

45000 for 47

70000 for happo shiga kogen

30000 for tsugaike

30000 for iwatake

you get all the areas for about the same as whistler.

Has anyone heard of a non-japanese winning the happy 7 pass? I havent.

yeah it was mate, but was able to ski Higashiyama and Annapuri for free ;\) Asked my boss for the superpass once in a while since they never used it. They just worked and drank Shochu all freaking night, woke up with must what have been sick hangovers, and worked, did the same thing day in and day out.

The limited courses are great! Really liked em and also one really nice course over on Annapuri that has a few good mushes. The north face of Niseko going to Goshiki (? forget the name) is sweet as too.

Got the mag here...

the super pass is like 150000 yen I think.

if you put the hakuba resorts together, offered a ski anywhere pass for 150000 you would get an area 4 to 5 times bigger than niseko for the same money. that said Im not gonna pay 150000 for a pass. just trying to show that we dont have it so bad as some other ski bums

Gams:

Will keep at it. Aim to become the godfather of Hakuba and all these little Tokyu's and other lift companies will bow before me. You can be the underboss if you like.

BTW I went to Kurashita no Yu last night (had an hour to myself) Best onsen in Hakuba thinks I.

getting one of these passes might save me a few bucks, but i'll let someone who needs it win! i really wish 47 had a 7 day pass or something cause that 5-weekday only pass is screwing me over! it means i have to buy one of them and 2xweekend passes

fb_steve, Hakuba Goryu & 47 provide a 5 weekdays pass with 15,000 yen. These 5 weekdays do not need to be consecutive. So you can use it any date if it's a weekday like this wed & fri and mon, tue and thu next week.

You can't use it on weekends and national off.

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:

$1639 (Canadian) for a standard unlimited pass. Wow that's around 160,000yen...
Whoah, a bit expensive but perhaps worth purchasing one!
Do a lot people buy one?

thanks for the info gamera, unfortunately i arrive on a friday night and leave on a sunday night so i don't have a choice! can't wait though, good luck winning a season pass hopefully this time you'll get one

bettyx, I think you got the page

Quote:
Originally posted by bettyx:

this is the actual page for the adult ticket application. get someone to help you fill in your name, address, phone number, employer, etc.

& good luck !

http://www.hakuba.jp/happy7/form_2006happy7_a.html

Actually whenever I try to submit the form, it always gives me an error over and over. I am not sure what the problem is. I told them I had a difficulty to apply though.

fb_steve - thanks but I have never gotten one yet in the past.