Hi,

First time in Japan and was planning on doing a season at Niseko for the winter.

But was wondering if this is the best place. Any opinions on where the best place in Japan to work/ride/party would be for a season.

Thanks Guys

TimFromOz ... be a bit more adventurous and go somewhere OTHER than Niseko. That is all the advice I can give you ... If you want to ride powder with 1000 Aussie "buddies" then cool, go to Niseko. Otherwise, there are another 100 great resorts across Japan where you could ride powder on most days with one or two real buddies. I know what I would prefer.

If I was coming to Japan from Australia, Niseko would be the last place I'd choose. I'd try to hit up somewhere in maybe less popular places - maybe somewhere like Gunma or Yamagata. Whether you can get something of course is a different matter.

Thanks for the info guys.

I am not to keen on riding with heaps of other Aussies. I really was only thinking of Niseko because of the consistancy of snow. I have had some bad experiences in the past with snow. I have done a season in Canada and America and both where So So.

Partying is not so high on my list. The people and the snow would be number one.

I am slowly learning some Japanese. What about Rututsu. Any thoughts/

Where are you going to live and work?

Niseko might not have alot of accom for ski bums come this year. I doubt rutsutsu will have much ski bum accom. another point is that most people here live on the main island. thus we dont know much about what the rental and a few etcs are up there. if you want the place with the best chance of snow then good question. 2 years ago niseko got skunked early this year it didnt. 2 years ago nagano nigata gifu etc got early snow and last year it didnt. its a gamble really.

I am planing on getting a job that provides some basic accomodation.

I have sent off heaps of CVs to hotels and the like in niseko and have had a bit of luck. But I dont know if I want to go there if it is full of Aussies.

As for work I am happy to do anything, such as making beds and helping in Kitchens and cleaning.

Thanks for info. I really want to find the right place.

If this is your first time to Japan then Niseko might be the best spot. You can get your foot in the door and make some contacts for other places if you want to do this again next year.

You will have a good time reguardless of where you go.

I'd think I'm in a pretty good place. Nagano City. I have tons of choices (admittedly all about an hour or so away), but theres Nozawa, Madarao, Myoko, Arai, Shiga Kogen and Hakuba that are fairly easy to reach.

Ace.

being an aussie I was shocked on my one trip to niseko. trust me i can party and run amok with the best of em but these guys were a bunch of kooks. staright outta falls creek and telling us the secrets to getting good lines...amongst other things. knobheads. as some of the other crew have said, check out hoshu, damn good resorts around the island, damn good fun and low key.

hope you get some pow and basashi into u this winter