A new Setting Journals Feature - "Two Years On", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-27.html

"Towards the end of June this year the annual rainy season finally came on, and the impact that a sudden downpour has on a parched mountain is quite dramatic. As the water moves downhill, it both gathers momentum and volume, creating streams that erode earth traveled over while picking up sand, rocks etc. in the process. All of this eventually comes crashing down on the asphalt of the fire road leading up the mountain, and the result can be seen in the images immediately below."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-27.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

Hey Fattwins

Been awhile - good to hear from you.

No, snow is not made at the resort.

What is done during the latter part of the season however is to "harvest snow" from unused areas for use on runs that are still open.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at the Arai site for more information about the mountainboarding but couldn't find anything. It seems strange to go to the trouble of making what looks like a very elaborate course without really trumpeting it on the marketing website. In fact, a Google search for Arai + mountainboard only turned up an old thread on here.

So how's the mountainboarding at Arai going? Many takers? Many injuries? Got any photos? I'd love to see a whole article about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi cal

Not sure if harvesting is the correct terminology or not. Essentially, the pisten bullys gather snow from areas no longer in use and take it to areas that are. Then staff gather to pat down the snow on th runs.

Ocean11

The mountainboard park was a late development at the resort this summer, so I imagine that it will be promoted more fully next season - sorry to disappoint you!

No photos, but I did see some wicked spills with riders getting up very slowly after them! Only for the hard skinned that sport I say!