• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometime between Sept. 11 to 17, I am looking to climb Fuji.

I want to camp on top, so water is an issue.

It'd be nice if there was some ice up there to melt and filter instead of lugging water up the mountain.

Anyone have experience or suggestions about climbing or camping at that time?

I'm going to climb it for the 3rd time at the start of October. As long as the weather is good that is. I still havn't climbed it without rain.

For camping up on the top there are quite a few old cement building platforms that would make good places and you may even find an old wall for a wind break. Be carful not to put your tent on any rebar sticking up though. That mountain is a real junkyard \:\(

• 1 year later...

Just been doing some research on boarding mt fuji in a month or so, and came across this thread which reminded me of why i'll never ever climb it in summer again....

This pic was a friday of the last night of the 'official climbing season'.. personally I thought the climb itself wasnt too tough, but putting up with crowds the equivalent of rush hour in shinjuku has turned me off ever climbing it again in the summer....

longboardsk8man_3.jpg?

I have climbed it once about 6 years ago when my brother came here, we climbed at night, got to the top by day break and watched the sunset, then climbed down.

Doing this way is really cool, especially if you get a clear night sky it is really beautiful and peaceful. Also you don't have to worry about paying for the crappy accomodation huts they have.

I want to do it again this July or Aug, which is the best time as the top is usually free of snow, usually, any other time you are likely to get snow at the very top due to the altitude.

lucked out w/ awesome weather, though we had two notorious ameotokos in the group.

coyote, it gets windy up top, so i suggest you choose your campsite carefully. you're right about there being no water. it also almost always attracts clouds even on clear days in the afternoon. good luck sounds like fun

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
You know, it's just one of those things thats on my list. So too is Everest.
Maybe do everthing on your list before you do Everest, as Everest could be the last thing you do.

Wow! I just looked at the pole results and I can't believe over 1/2 of us walked up that gravel mound.

Were we all silly or were some of us lied to? \:D

Fuji (for me) was the silliest experience I've had in Japan - Yup! even more silly than seeing used underwear in a vending machine. I was happy and everything but I'm the kinda guy that would be happy trying to drink cola through my nose on a rollercoaster too.

Fuji walking (I won't even call it climbing!) might be good for your health or interesting to see that your cell phone works from the summit but the whole hill is nothing but a massive pile of volcanic gravel and about as interesting as watching flies procreate on a hot summer's day.

There's ALWAYS too many people for it to be peaceful or to get any connection with nature. It's just walking up a non-descript hill laced with places selling you $15 500ml bottels of water, maybe getting your walking-stick stamped and then walking back down.

The base (1st 20min. of walking) is pretty cool tho. The other 4 to 8 hours (depending on the trail you take) however could be better spent doing almost anything. Heck, I bet there's some really cool biking roads all along Fuji's base. I'd recommend a base bike trek over a Fuji walk up any day.

All that said, Fuji might be kewl to "climb" in January/February. \:D

I climbed to the crater of Mt. Fuji 5 May, 2006.

Camping overnight at about 2400m helped me to adjust to the altitude.

I camped in a tent and was very comfortable, warm and well-fed.

A Swede and two Germans I met on the bus built an igloo, climbed Fuji and snowboarded down.

Whatever you do, don't try to go if the weather is not good, don't slip, and don't go unprepared.

If you train by hiking with a loaded pack for a couple of weeks before climbing, you'll be much stronger on the big day.

I have no desire to do Fuji.

i did however enjoy Asama. I lived there for some years before i climbed it, but was suprised at how gorgeous and uncrowded it was.

My goal for this year is Ondake-san, and maybe Yatsugatake.

Twice. I must be mad. The first time the weather turned and wasn't good up top - the 2nd time it was with a group of colleagues who invited me and I thought I would as the forecast was for really clear weather (and was).