• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what the snow conditions are like now on Fuji?

I'm traveling to Japan on Sunday and am trying to decide if it is worth bringing my tele skis.

And if anyone else is up for the climb around May 20th, let me know and that will give me some encouragement.

Thanks

I would have thought considering the winter we had there would be considerably less snow than usual for this time of year (which is less than what is on those photos).

I had a great time going up there. It wasn't actually too busy on the day we went - the forecast was for not the best weather I think that was the reason but it turned out to be glorious. Great views from the top and nice and cool from the summer sweaty weather down below. I'm glad I did it.

I'm one of the sillies who have been up there more than once. Basically a group of friends wanted to go up there and I decided to do number 2. I enjoyed it, and it is a great feeling up top there when the weather is good.

I am hoping to get up there this season. Heard good and bad but I want to do it the once. Are the forecasts for up there reliable? Having said that it is going to be on a fixed day as I'm going with some friends so will be planned at least a week in advance.

7 times?! Have you skied or snowboarded down it akafuji?

Actually I have a question about Fuji. There is a painting of Fuji in a gallery and Fuji was red on that too. But it seemed much steeper than the Fuji shape I know. The Japanese person I asked said that there is a view of Fuji that is steeper than the traditional look of the mountain. Was he talking bull or is that actually true?

Looking forward to the pics of Cheesefuji.

Been avoiding this thread cos I didn't have time to write up my story but here goes..

I walked up Fuji on a lovely sunny day in August, camped at the top & walked down. No effects of altitude. Easy.

Walked up Fuji on a lovely sunny day in June, typhoon hit around 9th station, wasn't such a lovely day anymore.

Camped on the top, tents blew away (pegs were still in the ground and the tents were flapping around in shreds). There were two other groups up there and the three groups (14 of us) ended up huddled in two tents. (For gear freaks the only one that stood up to the storm respectably was a Northface Gortex one with no fly!) Drifted in and out of sleep through the night, kept waking up with the feeling that we were suffocating or beacause we were getting bashed on the head by the tent poles flexing in the wind. (Later found out this is a normal cycle of breathing at high altitude where you breathe rapidly for a few breaths and then stop for a few seconds - very scary). Couldn't get out of the tent for fear of getting blown away. Someone in one of the other groups called the police when the sun rose & the police contacted the summit weather station (which has since closed). The walk up to the weather station was probably the most dangerous thing I've ever done (while sober anyway!). The weather station is on a little peak above what is usually considered the top. It was about 100m from where we were camped up a fairly steep scree slope. On the left (as you walk up the scree) is a fence and then the edge of the mountain, and on the right is the crater. There is only one bar across the top of the fence (no middle bars) and it is about 5 to 6ft off the ground, higher in places. We walked sideways up the slope hanging onto this bar above our heads. We had our backs to the crater and the wind and rain in our faces. When strong gusts of wind came we were literally blown off our feet and swung out towards the crater. One guy let go of the bar during a strong gust but somehow mangaged to jump forward and get a hold of it again. Strange thing is I wasn't scared at all - just using all my energy to keep my freezing fingers moving along that bar. Anyway we made it to the weather station where they offered us tea and coffee but all we wanted was the hot water with spoonfuls of sugar in - it tasted better than a beer on a hot day! Five cups of sugar water later we got a tour of the weather station and learned that the temperature was -5 and wind had been 40m/s (90mph or 140kmph) which gives a wind chill factor of something like -40. No wonder we were cold! That afternoon, after the storm had passed a bulldozer came to pick us up. It drove around our camp and the drivers picked up all the shreds of tents and pieces of poles and down we went. It took two hours, cost us two man each and was really bumpy but we slept for most of the ride down. (They offered us a helicopter but at 20 man each we opted for second class).

At least we probably got to be the highest gaijin in Japan on the second floor of the weather station!

Lessons learned:

1. The funny thing is that a four of my eikaiwa students planned to come with us. They had never been up any mountain before and we had had to tell two of them (on the morning we were due to leave) that they couldn't come cos they didn't have the right gear. They were angry and thought we were just being stupid. I guess we proved our point!

2. Northface make good tents.

Started walking up at the end of August but by the 8th station the weather was turning nasty so we bottled and turned back. Drove home & went to the pub!

Sounds good. You are one of the madwomen who do it more than once \:\)

Fancy trying it again.

akafuji - impressive (if that's the right word!)

Originally Posted By: oo

Fancy trying it again.

Yeah, I would but I'm much more wary of the weather up there now. Since that experience I've heard that a couple of people die up there every few years or so by getting blown off their feet and dumped on their heads. We were very lucky.
  • 2 weeks later...